Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD? Go for it or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hay all -

I have a 2018 Model X, updated to MCU2 and FSD computer 3.0. With the recent improvements in FSD, and the impending price hike, I'm thinking about taking the plunge. I have a 6 year extended warranty on my X, so I am planning on driving it for quite a while. Will adding FSD increase value? Is FSD really going to be usable and worthwhile in the next 1-2 years?

What is everyones take?

What is everyones take?

I think there is quite a bit of feedback on what everyone thinks about this topic in the subforum on TMC that is dedicated to that discussion, which is here:

You will likely find more opinion than you can read about, there.

Reactions: Genie and Damager99
...Is FSD really going to be usable and worthwhile in the next 1-2 years?...

It has value for those who love being a beta tester.

It adds zero value to those who don't like beta products.

I've been following Tesla technology for years but each time it says it gets better, I don't see it.

It can do more, but it can still collide with obstacles since it started with ap1 in 2016 or 8 years ago. Tesla just revealed its new "Occupancy Networks" that never crashes:

It's in the same line that Tesla could summon from across the country; deleting radar would reduce sensor fusion confusion, and that would eliminate phantom brakes...

Too many big talks, but the car still crashes into obstacles over the past 8 years, so I don't see there will be any change to improve its collision avoidance technology in the foreseeable future.

In conclusion: It's a personal choice to buy FSD or not. You decide!

Last edited:
Hay all -

I have a 2018 Model X, updated to MCU2 and FSD computer 3.0. With the recent improvements in FSD, and the impending price hike, I'm thinking about taking the plunge. I have a 6 year extended warranty on my X, so I am planning on driving it for quite a while. Will adding FSD increase value? Is FSD really going to be usable and worthwhile in the next 1-2 years?
What is everyones take?
Personally, I liked it, and I bought it again on my 2022. I remain highly frustrated that I cannot get it activated on my 2022. C'mon guys, I was using it my 2018 for nearly a year! I don't particularly care for the local routing choices it makes, but I often turned it on, without setting a destination, just so it honors the traffic lights and stop signs automatically. Will it add value to the car? I honestly doubt it would be significant. It might be slightly easier to sell it, with all other things being equal. But how that translates into dollars, I can't say for sure, but I'd bet less than $1,000.

One possible exception is if you have Enhanced Autopilot (which was a thing in 2018). That already provides the bulk of the FSD features, Navigate on Autopilot, automatic lane change etc. If you have EAP, you are not getting much by adding FSD. Right now autosteer on city streets is the only thing unique to FSD Beta. Therefore it might not be worth the expense. Plus you have to qualify for it with a consistently good safety score. But it depends on your use case.

Reactions: Damager99
I just looked up the details of my MX booking. In April 2019, when i booked my car the price for FSD was 5K in 3 years , FSD went to 12K and now going to 15K. While I did not yet get full FSD , in hindsight paying 5K upfront now looks better even with the delayed FSD considering the new 15K price.
There is no right answer on "to buy or not buy FSD"- your car, your money so it is your decision- just be happy with your decision.

I have a 2018 Model X, updated to MCU2 and FSD computer 3.0.
You didn’t mention what, if any, autopilot features your car currently has. In 2018 it came with nothing more than basic cruise control. I would go nuts if that’s all that my car had. The features that are available with EAP are a must for me: adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, and lane change (when I tell it to).

The added capabilities of FSD are anyone’s guess for how this will play out. I have it on both of my Teslas, and glad that I do. In it’s current state the city streets driving is not useful where I live. It makes lots of mistakes and I have to be in the mood to babysit if I actuate it. But it has improved over the past year, and I believe it will continue to do so. 6 years from now, I expect it to be quite good. I don’t expect driverless cars to be a thing, tho. Whether it has any impact on the value of your 10 year old car at that time will depend on what else the car has wrong with it.

The features that are available with EAP are a must for me: adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, and lane change (when I tell it to).

This was available with AP1 branded under "Autopilot with convenience features". IMO, this was the best combo since you can use it anywhere with lane markings. I especially love to use the adaptive cruise as a safety net in low visibility (fog, bright sunlight) since it has radar.

Reactions: Bigriver
You could argue that the driver assist features available as part of current FSD capabilities are worth the money compared to the market. Most driver assist features on competitors require package upgrades plus the cost to add it is pretty close to equivalent pricing. So, I would say it is worth the cost for what you get. Elon seems to be pricing it based on what is currently available vs. full implementation. I'm sure he will be asking much more as the capabilities increase. So, you could say you are paying now in alignment for what you get plus the oportunity to get more features for free moving forward.

Thanks for all the info everybody - helpful. So I now have just Autopilot - nothing else. Would it be worth the $100 per month or $6K one time purchase to get EAP? I don't think I'd use the summon feature much if at all, but auto park and NoA would be useful.

Thanks for all the info everybody - helpful. So I now have just Autopilot - nothing else. Would it be worth the $100 per month or $6K one time purchase to get EAP? I don't think I'd use the summon feature much if at all, but auto park and NoA would be useful.

I think EAP is worth it, FSD 100% no. $6k is 60 months, will you have your car that long?

I just looked up the details of my MX booking. In April 2019, when i booked my car the price for FSD was 5K in 3 years , FSD went to 12K and now going to 15K. While I did not yet get full FSD , in hindsight paying 5K upfront now looks better even with the delayed FSD considering the new 15K price.
There is no right answer on "to buy or not buy FSD"- your car, your money so it is your decision- just be happy with your decision.
You could have done many other things with that $5k that would have produced much more value than putting it into software that has artificially increased in price while providing nothing more to buyers -- have you participated in the Beta testing?

You could have done many other things with that $5k that would have produced much more value than putting it into software that has artificially increased in price while providing nothing more to buyers -- have you participated in the Beta testing?
No I haven't. But buying EAP would only include features that work fully currently, right? I'm not considering FSD anymore.

I found EAP useful on my 2018 X. But it depends how much highway driving you do. To me the most useful features was lane change on signal. You turn on the signal, it checks that the lane is clear (but also do you own checking!!), and then changes lanes. Same for taking a highway exchange.

We have a 2022 MYLR less then 3 months old and I use Autosteer (with TACC of course) a lot. If I get FSD, will I still be able to use Autosteer alone without turning on FSD or will I have to use FSD just to get the Autosteer function?