Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Detroit Auto Show Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Robert.Boston

Model S VIN P01536
And a nice bit of press from Forbes:
Hottest Cars At The Detroit Auto Show
Tesla’s Model S sedan attracted a similarly excited contingent of Asian journalists fascinated by the in-house technology and unique unibody frame that characterize Elon Musk’s $49,900 electric sedan. (This is the car reputedly faster than an Aston Martin, safer than a Panamera and more efficient than a Volt–it Musk can pull it off, it’ll crown Tesla as the most forward-thinking brand of its time and change the auto industry nationwide).

I figured since our beloved Model S is making an appearance at the Detroit Auto Show, maybe we should start a thread on it. The first question that comes to mind is if the Model S on display is an Beta, or is it a RC model? Has anyone been able to locate any good pictures of it to identify any differences?

4606fe2c-afd2-3271.jpg

I had reopened an old thread, but no matter: a couple of posts HERE and HERE.
The way we normally try to handle the car shows (or at least the way I'd prefer it) is to have a specific thread for that show that year.
If there's a lot going on, we should have a general show thread and a separate thread specifically for Tesla.

Widodh is right. The white car in Detroit is the same one from the October event at the factory...the one some of you got to ride in :) GeorgeB

Hi George,

Thanks for your participation in these forums.

I understand that the next visit for this particular beta will be the Florida store at the end of the month. Can you share any information when a version closer to the production intent than the betas at the October event will be visiting various locations?

Thanks again.

Larry

Larry, George probably can't say for various reasons, but my estimate is mid-Feb would be the earliest that RC (release candidate) cars would be in any stores.

Since we haven't seen anything during these auto shows, I'm thinking that we won't see the Design Studio or the new interior until the Feb 9th event.

Just speculations on my part.

Larry, George probably can't say for various reasons,

Yes, and I think it wise not to inundate him with random questions every time he posts and risk just having him go silent.

but my estimate is mid-Feb would be the earliest that RC (release candidate) cars would be in any stores.

Since we haven't seen anything during these auto shows, I'm thinking that we won't see the Design Studio or the new interior until the Feb 9th event.

Just speculations on my part.

I think similarly. I think we may see SOMETHING happen toward the end of the month, but after the Feb event I think things will begin to flow

I love the author's comment " It's pretty hard to get engine-aroused by the Tesla Model S's two big metal cylinders. If I was into that, I could just open up my washing machine and have at it. Progress my ass."

So he'd want to work on the electric motor that breaks down much less than an ICE. That's not progress?

There are pictures online showing some of what is inside there.

In any case, staring at those two cylinders is the most exciting thing to me about the Model S.
They represent and embody the epitome of modern drive-train engineering - elegant simplicity. The KISS concept climax.

Last edited: