Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 what to do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Warranty expires end of Dec, looking for potential options.
Basically, between selling it about now or running until it dies then selling for parts. But then the question is if there's any demand for non-running MS in AZ.
76K miles, some warranty repairs (drive unit 2x times, MCU under replacement right now, few smaller items), battery still OK-ish and not capped, but signs of degradation are noticeable.

I would be inclined to keep it until it no longer works for your needs and sell it to someone who wants to part it out. I've seen battery modules sell from $800-1300 per module (I believe you have 14). I'm thinking your motor and battery modules would go lovely in a sailing yacht.

My vehicle warranty has expired and I have about 1 year left of the battery/drivetrain warranty. Only issue I've had was the rear window defroster (under warranty) and original drive unit (replaced after 90K miles...they replaced the pyrofuse, HVAC drain hose, 12V battery, and HV battery contactors too). Our cars aren't worth much on the market, but the parts sure are. I'm still holding out hope that one day the newer battery packs will get the Tesla blessing for retrofitting while retaining the ability to Supercharge.

Runs just fine, and all three times arrived to SC on wheels (and BTW, Tempe, AZ service team is doing tremendous job).
Wouldn't mind keeping until terminal stage, but not sure I will ever be able to sell it for parts here. And what could I expect price-wise, say, with dead battery ?

I highly highly recommend to sell the car ASAP, as it’s a ticking time bomb. Sell it while the value is good and people are still high on Tesla. If you just keep “running it”, your gonna get other issues like air suspension, squeaking fans, HVAC compressor, dc-dc converter, etc... These problems And those service centers are expensive and busy. Never get attached to a Tesla as they are basically made like cell phones.

Would you want to repair a basic charge port on a Problematic beta iPhone 4 at the Genius Bar and keep it going if someone was willing to buy it for $1000? What if you had to wait in a long line and pay lots? See my point?

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
@eyedrop, exactly.
Little concerned about selling it privately as I don't really want to throw the ticking bomb over the fence like you said. Especially if it's someone's first EV experience.
Will see what else SC finds, and I guess short trip to CarMax should add some clarity.
Have to admit that all those speculations about 1M mile drivetrain and value retention have nothing to do with reality.

I have 260k miles on my 2012... this thread is funny
I think I saw somewhere that you've got battery replaced. Nevertheless, congrats on your brave experiment.
The list of repairs on my car in less than 2 years is probably worth $40K.

Edit:
I actually found out that one of my battery modules was malfunctioning, and Tesla just replaced my battery (7 years, 11 months into ownership)
I already made my mind that I'll keep it if they do the same

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
I highly highly recommend to sell the car ASAP, as it’s a ticking time bomb. Sell it while the value is good and people are still high on Tesla. If you just keep “running it”, your gonna get other issues like air suspension, squeaking fans, HVAC compressor, dc-dc converter, etc... These problems And those service centers are expensive and busy. Never get attached to a Tesla as they are basically made like cell phones.

Would you want to repair a basic charge port on a Problematic beta iPhone 4 at the Genius Bar and keep it going if someone was willing to buy it for $1000? What if you had to wait in a long line and pay lots? See my point?
Yea, but if the iPhone4 was still working for you as a phone, why would you trade it for $6-8 towards a new $1,000+ iPhone? Better to just use it until it dies. A 2012 Model S trade-in value will probably be same or less than if you part it out. My guess it would be in the low teens as a trade-in for a new Tesla.

If my iphone cost 75k then I'd probably make the effort to break out the soldering iron and order a replacement port from mouser electronics.

Reactions: sonofagunn
If my iphone cost 75k then I'd probably make the effort to break out the soldering iron and order a replacement port from mouser electronics.
I would agree with that, but unfortunately repairing Tesla’s is not as easy as breaking out a soldering iron and ordering standard parts. Tesla themselves don’t do this. They simply replace modules then update with proprietary software until it’s fixed. And they are bad with parts. Just look at all the young 10 year old roadsters rotting in Tesla service centers parking lots, waiting for HV batt.

Reactions: ac_power
This is a fantastic example, look at this:
- all Apple-specific components are strictly controlled, you cannot buy them on open market (reminds anything ?);
- soldering iron won't do the job, you need hot air reflow station and decent SMT skills;
- there's a chance of damaging the main board - then it would be a few-hundred-$$$ brick.
I don't want to be in similar position, trying to fix or part out the car. Neither I'm sure I will be able to sell it broken for decent money locally, if ever.

Just as a point of reference, April 2013 85 kWh with 95k miles ... Tesla offer was $20k (definitely can get more from another company). Keeping my car for now but thinking about getting a new one.
About same number here. But Tesla doesn't buy out one way (that would probably be a good option though), trade-in only. While I'm thinking of taking a break into high grade ICE or I-PACE.