Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I do - 2012 Signature Red Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've happily owner a 2012 Model S Signature 132k miles for over 8 years. I've had some minor issues over the years but most were resolved under warranty or fixed for less than $1000. My recent problem started in August 2022 when my car was rear-ended while I was at a light. The damage to the car appeared to be minimal, and repair estimates included a new bumper cover and a minor dent in the tailgate. I continued to drive the car for about a month or about 1000 miles until I got an error that the car would no longer charge while at the body shop. The body shop had me send the car to Tesla to be diagnosed. Per Tesla the car needed a HV battery at the cost of 20k, and they a first said that the cause was due the the accident. Once the insurance adjustor met with Tesla, the advisor then said that it could not say either way if the accident was the cause of the faulty HV battery. At this point I was forced to pay for the battery replacement myself. During this time while in service, i was advised that they would also update the MCU which I agreed. The Tesla APP kept me up to date with repair status, It looks like the battery installation went as plan but there was a trim piece that took over a month to repair. When it was time to pick up the car the first time, while looking thru the window I noticed that there were wires hanging from the bottom the the radio. of course I declined pickup and Tesla advised that they would make it right. after a few weeks I was called and told that the car was ready, his time I was able to sit in the car. At this time i notice that the silver dash trim was hanging about a half inch away from the dash in some spots and the dash could be lifted up by one hand. There were also scratches in the leather trim and carbon fiber. I'm assuming that the tech had a hard time removing the trim. So of course I decline the car and demand that these items be repaired. Sorry to go on and on, but here is my dilemma. the Tesla advisor called and advised that Model S signature has a type of leather dash that is no longer offered. He can 1) install a new alcanterra dash with Black trim or 2) remove dash from loaner car that has a smooth leather that is still different from rough texture only offered in early Signature cars. I really getting frustrated with this whole situation and i guess just wanted to vent. But I said all this to get opinions and suggestions of what others would do in this situation? I've kelp my car mint and in the garage the whole time that i've owned it. Anyways I included a video link of the dash below.

New video by Curtis Taylor

Attachments

• 20230202_121159.jpg
    20230202_121159.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 20230202_121203.jpg
    20230202_121203.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 207
I experienced exactly the same situation. Tesla-certified body shop kept my car for 4 months often forgetting to plug it in at a very low state of the HV pack, eventually while still sitting there received the BMS u029 error. Of course, they deny any liability for their actions. I got my car back, it is bricked and locked now, on top of that the body shop failed to connect the positive terminal behind the nose cone to the 12v battery which makes it impossible to jump-start it. Trying to get some suggestions on how to open the frunk mechanically, those pre-facelift older teslas do not have any levers that can do that.

Upvote 0
Wow, your service center tech doesn't seem to even try. Maybe they are super busy and just in a crazy hurry.

I too had scratched trim pieces after they upgraded my 2017 to MCU2. They also scratched the leather piece above the glove box. Took time to order and mobile repair came to swap the parts, but they did fix it without question.

Maybe you can find a leather/upholstery shop to match the leather?

Sounds like the smooth one that will match better is your best option. I'd say stick to your guns and demand it is fixed right but it seems like that won't get you anywhere if they just cannot get the part and are offering stuff from other cars LOL.

Upvote 0