Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 what to do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would agree with that, but unfortunately repairing Tesla’s is not as easy as breaking out a soldering iron and ordering standard parts. Tesla themselves don’t do this. They simply replace modules then update with proprietary software until it’s fixed. And they are bad with parts. Just look at all the young 10 year old roadsters rotting in Tesla service centers parking lots, waiting for HV batt.

Unfortunately you make a pretty good point. But I have faith that someday if we wish hard enough that Tesla will become a real car company that produces spare parts.

Reactions: ac_power
This is the second thread I read about this topic:

Signature warranty expires soon - next steps?

Guess there will be quite a few in the coming weeks with the same questioning.

Hope for you and the others owners of cars coming to their end of the 8 years warranty that Tesla confirms pricing for new battery outside the warranty. Unless they are confident the SuC limitation will make them last "forever" :D

Reactions: Yurand and ac_power
Unfortunately you make a pretty good point. But I have faith that someday if we wish hard enough that Tesla will become a real car company that produces spare parts.
They do grudgingly produce and sell spare parts. The problem is some of these parts are restricted and not OTC. And important modules like HV pack (restricted item) for 2008-2011 roadster just doesn’t exist. This is unacceptable.

So, it went one-way to Carvana for 27K (could be 29K in trade-in scenario). Just to remind, Tesla offered 21K for trade-in, no one-way buyout ever possible. I think the picture is pretty clear here.
At the end of the day, the car was in good shape - ~230 mi full charge, cell disbalance 0.015 V according to ScanMyTesla, no power/supercharging cap, many expensive components recently replaced (MCU, drive unit, instrument cluster). With 100 day / 4K mi warranty from Carvana, on the top of remaining 6 wks of full factory coverage, it should be a decent deal for the new owner.

Anyway, those been fun and awesome two years with Tesla, but with recent trends seems it's time to take off from the brand.