Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2012-14 MS Tesla replacement pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This begs the question will there be a day that Tesla declares a model is EOL (end of life - no more hardware parts replacement and software updates)?
Manufacturers are only required by law to stock/provide parts through the warranty period.

That said I think it’s highly unlikely they are completely finished making new legacy-format replacement packs for the S/X, voicemails from service center randos that have no way of knowing notwithstanding. Cars that used this pack architecture will be in warranty until the end of 2028. Reman packs aren’t gonna cut it exclusively for another 4+ years.

They may well make them in batches and not have any RIGHT NOW. That wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Auto manufacturers are required by US Federal Law to have parts available for any models they sold for the period of 10 years.

Every time I ask someone for a reference to the specific law that covers this, they go radio silent... (I don't think such a law exists.) Do you have a link to it?

The only thing I could find is that they have to have parts available during the warranty period. (Unless they want to replace the car when a part fails that is no longer available, in which case they can stop making parts at any time.)

Reactions: ucmndd
Auto manufacturers are required by US Federal Law to have parts available for any models they sold for the period of 10 years.
This is an enduring myth. There is no such law.

Reactions: Videomatic3 and KJD
Ray - You need to keep in mind that not everyone is a Facebook member nor wants to be.

The link requires a Facebook account. Please verbalize the update instead.
You're right. My apologies.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 105517.png

Update: Probable false alarm. This owner picked up his older MS today from the Plano, TX TSC. His out of warranty pack is a Feb 2023 build. Pic of label is in his reply of today. Phew !

Yeah, that's me. My experience is the service advisors at the SC are remarkable clueless. The first one I talked to called California and then told me ALL replacement packs are brand new even if they say reman on them. When I expressed doubt he dug in. He had just talked to the experts and was certain he was right.

Later I talked to a different Service Advisor at the same SC and he claimed ALL replacement packs are used packs even if they say new. He also would not listen to anything. He was the expert.

The remote advisor I communicated with on the app first only gave me a cost estimate for a reman pack. When I asked for a quote for a new pack he had to "investigate" but did provide a quote for a new pack after a few days.

So my conclusion is that unfortunately service advisors can't be trusted and you have to double check everything they say.

Yeah, that's me. My experience is the service advisors at the SC are remarkable clueless. The first one I talked to called California and then told me ALL replacement packs are brand new even if they say reman on them. When I expressed doubt he dug in. He had just talked to the experts and was certain he was right.

Later I talked to a different Service Advisor at the same SC and he claimed ALL replacement packs are used packs even if they say new. He also would not listen to anything. He was the expert.

The remote advisor I communicated with on the app first only gave me a cost estimate for a reman pack. When I asked for a quote for a new pack he had to "investigate" but did provide a quote for a new pack after a few days.

So my conclusion is that unfortunately service advisors can't be trusted and you have to double check everything they say.
Wow, if all replacement packs are used packs (and visa versa), and Tesla charges $3500 difference between the two, then that is a social media news story. I hope that both Service Advisors misspoke.

Need some advice... my battery on my Model S 2013 just went out last night at about 150,000 miles. They quoted a total of about $17,000 after tax to take care of it. In the quote is shows "Battery, 90KWH, REMAN, SX-1102980-01" That line item is $13,500. Can anybody interpret this? And is this a normal type of replacement? I just want to be sure that if I'm pouring this much more into the car that I know I'll get some good life out of it. Any other advice on how to approach this would be appreciated!

Sorry to see that happened. Did you try reaching out to 057tech.com or Recell-ev.com? Both can do main battery repairs in the $5k range, and 057tech.com offers a warranty. Recell might too. You can also arrange with them to get your vehicle transported to / from their facilities.

Reactions: aerodyne
Over the past week, two instances have come to my attention that Tesla Service Centers are not offering owners NEW out of warranty MS replacement packs.

Previously there were reports that people were offered either a reman pack ($13k) or a new pack ($20k). However in many cases people opted for the cheaper reman pack, but got a new pack instead because no reman was available.

So, some people paid 13k and some 20k for the exact same battery. This could be annoying news to those who paid the higher price.

Perhaps the new SC instructions are, they only give one price (13k for reman) but in practice install new packs anyway..

I don't think there can be that many reman packs available, especially considering they have to give the 4year/50000mi warranty even for reman packs. Much more likely they are using reman packs for the original 8year warranty cases, where battery only has to last a few years more..

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray and Droschke