TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2012 Tesla S Body Upgrade to Facelift Style. New Project Process...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Yauheni, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yauheni

Yauheni Member

Hi, I recently purchased front ended Tesla S P85 2012, that require replacement most of the front end body parts. So, I was thinking why not try to put in Facelift body style parts on it. I know, they wont fit perfectly and this will require some more parts replacement than a regular repair, but I want to try and see what I can do.

So, I'll try to post the process of the repairs and parts replacement here.

I just got the car, so it will take a couple of weeks to get some major parts delivered to me, then we will start the repair process.

You are very welcome to give any advice to me. Im kind of worry about the LED lights, not sure if it's possible to make them work on an older body. Anyways, will see as we go...

Stay in touch....

002_643682_001.jpg 000_643682_001.jpg 006_643682_001.jpg

2. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Aouch, even if you have a strong bank account and patience, getting the car activated by TSLA will be a PITA from what I read around here.

3. Yauheni

Yauheni Member

Im not in particular interested in getting this car "tesla certified", so this is not a problem for me.

4. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

You are much more brave and talented than I am. I hope you figure this out and look forward to updates on your progress.

5. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

If frame is not bent? It shouldn't be that hard once you have all the parts.
    Good luck

• Like x 1
  6. Exiom

Exiom Member

AFAIK, the LED Headlights from MS2 will not easily work since the harness and wiring are significantly different. If I remember correctly, the wiring has been re-arranged and extra wires for the LED.

However since you are almost rebuilding the car, I do wonder if you can run new wiring for this. There are other members who have done some research on this, such as the OP of this thread, How To: Front Bumper and Headlight Removal but for some reason it seems he is now banned.

As for the front bumper... the bonnet/hood is ever so slightly different on the MS2 so you either settle with a shorter hood which you need a custom V trim? or you get a new MS2 hood which you will run into issues with the frunk liner which also requires some custom work. I haven't done it personally but from posts around the forum... this seems to be the problem.

7. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

As @Exiom mentioned. The led lights from the facelift run on can bus to control functions. The nose cone original model uses simpler on/off power inputs driven from the body ecu.
    On the subject of the sheet metal, you might want to look into a 3rd parts front bumper and grill set.

• Informative x 1
  8. clydetf

clydetf Member

This is done by nikola-brussels.be a few times a week, they have all info on that.

IMG_2574.jpg

9. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

My favourite bit is the blood on the front bumper.

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. Krash

Krash Data Technician

#10 Krash, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    I would be tempted to do the hood and front bumper last on this. With the rumored refresh, if there is any chance the new S looks like the 3 I would certainly wait three months to see.

Retrofitting the CAN bus wiring for the new LEDs would take me a month alone.

I would also root the car and play with the torque and max power settings if I had a car that was definately out of warranty and couldn't supercharge, but I realize on a RWD P you are already at or near those limits, so it would be more of an academic exercise.

Does your car connect over 3G or does it's salvage status disable connectivity? I might also try rooting to enable spotify if you can use another GSM provider.

11. Yauheni

Yauheni Member

Thank you so much for all your advice. I already found head about the new head lamps CAN problems. For now, Im still trying to source bodyparts that I need to get started on mechanical repairs. Than will try to figure out how we can make to work around the electrical issues and see what we are going to come up with.

I just ordered the left apron piece, and it will take some time to arrive to us. Still working on getting FACELIFT bodyparts.

IMG_8065.JPG IMG_8066.JPG IMG_8067.JPG

12. Yauheni

Yauheni Member

So far I ordered these parts:
    Pyro Fuse
    Mobile Bundle
    L Frame Apron
    L fender liner
    Hood
    L radiator shrout
    Radiator support
    Front bumper
    Ankle Catcher
    L U Louvre Cover
    L L Louvre Cover
    Front Under Shield Cover
    L fender
    L Fender Bracket
    Right Upper Support Bracket
    Left Upper Support Bracket
    Rad Support radiator bracket x 4

There are few more to go....

13. Yauheni

Yauheni Member

I just found out about another thread like a year ago, where they guy did his facelift. It is involved a lot of work. But we are ready to get it done well as well. Here is some update on the body repairs!!!

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  14. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

Did you order the parts (namely fenders, etc.) direct from Tesla or salvage yards? With all the talk about parts being next to impossible to order/receive direct from Tesla, I’m curious.
    Good progress/job so far!

15. Yauheni

Yauheni Member

Most of the bodyparts were found online, ebay and few other places. The hardest parts are small plastics, and little things that are not expensive at the dealer, but they dont sell anything to salvage tesla. So, Some very kind people offer to order the parts for their own, Clean title tesla, and then they can ship it over to me. Overall, Tesla parts is one of the worst customer services I ever faced. Many of them feel very proud I guess for working at Tesla that they wont even sell you a little $10 plastic cover, making a huge deal about it.

• Like x 1
  16. Yaro

Yaro Member

They can in trouble for selling parts to unsupported vehicles.

17. whitex

whitex Active Member

Yes, if I was them I would be keeping an eye out for a caravan of black Model X'es with guys carrying Boring Company Not-A-Flamethrowers. :p

• Funny x 1
  18. Yauheni

Yauheni Member

Hi everyone, Im happy to report, that I pretty much finished the project. Well I flew to Philadelphia and picked up the car, drove it all the way thru Chicago, Minneapolis, Yellowstone, Salt Lake and finally got to Phoenix. Car had no problems at all. Now I still have few little things to finish up. Here are few pictures from our trip. IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0602.JPG IMG_9810.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  19. Lightmatrix

Lightmatrix Member

...wait, that's the same car from the first round of photos you posted?

20. Yauheni

Yauheni Member

Yep, Thats the same car. Check out some picture posted earlier where it was not painted yet. Later I will add few pictures of my Latch modification, because old and new body-style have many different parts, including latch mechanism and wire harness. I left all original locks and electronics, modified hood striker and latch brackets.