Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 model s 85 battery failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given i am overnighting in Vancouver friday night before driving back, any suggestions on hotel options with Chargers?

The other way to look at it, it's only about 160RM from Vancouver to Hope; assuming you leave the SC with 90% charge so 350-odd km range, do your tooling around in Vancouver and you'll still have plenty to get to the Hope supercharger. So no destination charger needed in Vancouver.

Thanks Ugliest1,

I also received an update today, the battery swap went as planned. they did a full review of the car and noted the beginnings of a bearing noise associated with the Drive Unit. they therefore also swapped out the drive unit. as much as its scary to think these things already needed replacing, considering its a 2013 model - they have been known to show these issues on the Drive unit. i am very pleased to get it replaced. the whole drive train will be 90% new and so im looking forward to getting back in her.

Thanks Ugliest1,

I also received an update today, the battery swap went as planned. they did a full review of the car and noted the beginnings of a bearing noise associated with the Drive Unit. they therefore also swapped out the drive unit. as much as its scary to think these things already needed replacing, considering its a 2013 model - they have been known to show these issues on the Drive unit. i am very pleased to get it replaced. the whole drive train will be 90% new and so im looking forward to getting back in her.

Fantastic service all around, enjoy your weekend

Did you see what Elon said about the drive units?
"An analyst from Credit Suisse asked about improvements on Tesla’s drive unit, from a bigger one it initially used to a newer small one. Expecting a boring answer, we got this from CEO Elon Musk instead: “Yeah, right now we’re actually very happy with the quality of the drive units. I mean, internally, our goal — we changed the goal of the drive unit endurance from being approximately 200,000 miles to being a million miles. Just basically, we want drive units that just never wear out. That’s our goal. And I think we’ve made really good progress in that direction.”
Elon added that the drive units going out now are “excellent,” and then CTO JB Straubel chimed it by adding that they’ve made improvements to the large drive unit. The referenced issues, he said, were just in early drive units. “Today, we hold the same standard on both units that are being built,” he said. Elon got specific by stating that, “there was this one period of time we had … just before we transitioned into automatic grease injection into the spline of large drive unit, we had variation in how much grease was put into the spline, and if not enough grease was put into the spline, it would have premature wear…. But other than that, the large drive unit has been great. ” That getting technical enough for you?"

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/11/05...ciency-3-tidbits-from-teslas-financials-call/

Did you see what Elon said about the drive units?
"An analyst from Credit Suisse asked about improvements on Tesla’s drive unit, from a bigger one it initially used to a newer small one. Expecting a boring answer, we got this from CEO Elon Musk instead: “Yeah, right now we’re actually very happy with the quality of the drive units. I mean, internally, our goal — we changed the goal of the drive unit endurance from being approximately 200,000 miles to being a million miles. Just basically, we want drive units that just never wear out. That’s our goal. And I think we’ve made really good progress in that direction.”
Elon added that the drive units going out now are “excellent,” and then CTO JB Straubel chimed it by adding that they’ve made improvements to the large drive unit. The referenced issues, he said, were just in early drive units. “Today, we hold the same standard on both units that are being built,” he said. Elon got specific by stating that, “there was this one period of time we had … just before we transitioned into automatic grease injection into the spline of large drive unit, we had variation in how much grease was put into the spline, and if not enough grease was put into the spline, it would have premature wear…. But other than that, the large drive unit has been great. ” That getting technical enough for you?"

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/11/05...ciency-3-tidbits-from-teslas-financials-call/

Thank you for that extract. As the owner of a Model S which had a drive unit replaced recently (at roughly 48,000 km), I feel better knowing that this one is supposed to last longer. Not that the first one failed, but it definitely was making noticeable noise proportional to speed, which is a sign of something wearing, which is never good.

So we picked up the car today and I am nothing short of impressed, I havent gotten underneath it yet, but the battery pack is a 'reman' unit as mark called it. Im posting this while having a drink with my wife, long story short, we received a few hats, key holders, new keys as the others were warn out, license plate holder and the coolest were the weather tech floor matts. Mark clarified the battery pack is NOT a loaner and ours to keep. Im sure im forgetting something and will post more during our trip back.

Forgot to add the tire inflator kit that was provided, a new 12v battery the interior detailed, a new release Tesla pen, also, I never cared to look at my vin, but Mark says he remembers owners by vin and we are 17508. Mark spent some time going over the car and we talked about some of the things on the forum here. He does visit the forum so kudos to him. He was the only mechanic servicing all of canada back in the day. Lastly the annual service was also done so thats good for another year.

Seeing a clean shop full of tesla parts was neat, especially the stack of crates with Tesla battery packs, half a dozen of them

The shop also had an orange roadster, supposedly owned by the major of seachel, and it had a hitch! When I asked him what he was pulling he said he has a segway that he clips onto the car. So not the answer I expected.

Last edited:
Forgot to add the tire inflator kit that was provided, a new 12v battery the interior detailed, a new release Tesla pen, also, I never cared to look at my vin, but Mark says he remembers owners by vin and we are 17508. Mark spent some time going over the car and we talked about some of the things on the forum here. He does visit the forum so kudos to him. He was the only mechanic servicing all of canada back in the day. Lastly the annual service was also done so thats good for another year.

Seeing a clean shop full of tesla parts was neat, especially the stack of crates with Tesla battery packs, half a dozen of them

The shop also had an orange roadster, supposedly owned by the major of seachel, and it had a hitch! When I asked him what he was pulling he said he has a segway that he clips onto the car. So not the answer I expected.

Sweet. You got the works.

Although it's unfortunate to have had issues, you got to experience the exceptional service that Mark and the Tesla Vancouver team offers! I've had nothing but exceptional service from them and every time I tell others about it, they can't believe this is a real car company!

I do worry that this won't be sustainable as the numbers of cars increase, but it's easily been the best ownership experience I've ever had (including from MB and BMW).

Wow, that's quite the list of goodies you got. Tesla's Vancouver's service centre really know how to do it right.

You're keys are not new though. They just put a new coating on them. I had one of mine done too since it was really worn. When I got it back looking like new, I bought a silicone fob cover for it.

No they are new, thats for sure
Well, they maybe, but I was just in today to collect our Model S from it's annual service and when I mentioned to Mark that the fobs looked new, he said that they replace the skins on them as they wear out, but that the innards were those that came with the car.

How was the drive home? This afternoon/evening, the Coquihalla was surprisingly good (bare and wet to Larson Hill and then bare and dry into Merritt), but the 10 km around Pennask summit was snow covered with visibility less than 50 metres. That was not so pleasant.

So we picked up the car today and I am nothing short of impressed, I havent gotten underneath it yet, but the battery pack is a 'reman' unit as mark called it. Im posting this while having a drink with my wife, long story short, we received a few hats, key holders, new keys as the others were warn out, license plate holder and the coolest were the weather tech floor matts. Mark clarified the battery pack is NOT a loaner and ours to keep. Im sure im forgetting something and will post more during our trip back.
Did you have to pay the new valet or ranger fee?