Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S won't boot up or drive after parked overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll check to see if it’s doing a new trip. I’m charging to full tonight.

I think it’s not even driving conservatively with the P85+. They’re just an inefficient setup.

Is there no easy way to find out what my pack size is and whether it’s unlocked or not?

How do I contact tesla and ask?

By estimated you mean using the calculation from earlier?

What do you mean by feel regen? Like if the car says 100% it should not be doing any brake regen if full battery is unlocked. But if it says 100% and I still feel brake regen that means it’s capped?

So I have a third party app called Tesla Remote. It says my estimated max range is 236 miles and estimated my pack size at 87kwh. Not sure how accurate this is but in my experience this app has been much more accurate than the car estimate.

Pretty disappointed. Feels like I got a slightly less powerful, slightly better range than my old degraded 85kwh battery and a decent charging speed boost for $15k :/

I think it’s massively software locked or something. 236 miles of range at 100% is pretty sad for not running audio, heated seats or A/C etc on flat ground Modest driving. Was hoping for 270+ range.

I guess I can try to ask Tesla to unlock more capacity. But other than that all I can do is charge it to 100% every time I guess.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
So I have a third party app called Tesla Remote. It says my estimated max range is 236 miles and estimated my pack size at 87kwh. Not sure how accurate this is but in my experience this app has been much more accurate than the car estimate.

Pretty disappointed. Feels like I got a slightly less powerful, slightly better range than my old degraded 85kwh battery and a decent charging speed boost for $15k :/

I think it’s massively software locked or something. 236 miles of range at 100% is pretty sad for not running audio, heated seats or A/C etc on flat ground Modest driving. Was hoping for 270+ range.

I guess I can try to ask Tesla to unlock more capacity. But other than that all I can do is charge it to 100% every time I guess.

You’re wasting your time with all this third party nonsense.

What rated range does your car show at 100% charge? That’s really the only thing that matters. If it’s somewhere near 297 miles, there’s no additional magic battery to unlock. That’s the whole enchilada.

~100-120ish kw peak supercharging rate is about what you should expect in optimal conditions. Sounds like you’ve got that.

Reactions: gaswalla
I’ll check tomorrow when it’s charged to 100% and I’ll do real world testing to see what the real range is.

In the past the car estimator was just wildly incorrect but maybe the old battery system wasn’t accurate and the new one will be.

On a road trip once it said I had about 225 miles of range and my house was about 200 miles away. I thought that was plenty of buffer. Ended up getting home at 1% and had to turn off everything in the car and limp it home to just barely get there. Was not fun. Learned not to trust the estimated range the hard way.

I’ll check tomorrow when it’s charged to 100% and I’ll do real world testing to see what the real range is.

In the past the car estimator was just wildly incorrect but maybe the old battery system wasn’t accurate and the new one will be.

On a road trip once it said I had about 225 miles of range and my house was about 200 miles away. I thought that was plenty of buffer. Ended up getting home at 1% and had to turn off everything in the car and limp it home to just barely get there. Was not fun. Learned not to trust the estimated range the hard way.

You need to break the association in your mind between rated range and whatever your particular car/conditions/driving style actually achieve. They are not really in any way related.

What the car displays as rated range is simply energy available in the battery divided by a constant.

What you actually achieve in the real world is dependent on a variety of messy variables.

The rated range will give you an accurate idea of relative energy capacity between the old and new battery. If your old battery charged to 240 at 100% and the new battery shows 300 at 100%, you can say with some certainty the new battery has ~20% more available energy. What that actually gives you in the real world depends on all of those messy variables referenced above.

Lol. When I got in the car this morning the car wouldn’t start and gave me several voltage errors.

What a goofy goofy gooooofy company this is.

I don’t even know what to do anymore. Tesla service centers are hopeless. Customer service is nonexistent and “repairs” are a 50-50 crapshoot at best. It’s thousands of dollars for me to tow the car to the service centers because I don’t live near one. And I just spent 7 hours getting a ride to go pick up my car. And that was horrible. It’s all just being done incorrectly. The company isn’t doing anything correctly. I see dark times in the future for T.

Last edited:
Lol. When I got in the car this morning the car wouldn’t start and gave me several voltage errors.

What a goofy goofy gooooofy company this is.

I don’t even know what to do anymore. Tesla service centers are hopeless. Customer service is nonexistent and “repairs” are a 50-50 crapshoot at best. It’s thousands of dollars for me to tow the car to the service centers because I don’t live near one. And I just spent 7 hours getting a ride to go pick up my car. And that was horrible. It’s all just being done incorrectly. The company isn’t doing anything correctly. I see dark times in the future for T.

Wow, I am so sorry! I guess, one more reason to go to 057tech.com once you're out of warranty.

You might want to file a complaint with your States attorney general's office. They might take it up and send a letter on to Tesla for you. First, ask Tesla to bring your car to them on their dime this time. They might do it, if not, go to the attorney's general's office. It's a step before lawyers. And any step before that is good!

Lawyering up did cross my mind. I hate doing it but it has worked in the past with bad companies. I just hate that it has to come to that when this company should be taking great care of me as an early adopter and supporter to help make it what it is. They’re just so focused on mass production in China and social media than fundamentals of a business like customer service and repairs of older vehicles. I really think there is a mindset of, “if it doesn’t work throw it out and just get a new $125k car”. Let them eat cake mentality.

They send $20k invoices through their app without any communication or ability to have a discussion about what’s going on. It’s just “here bill you pay now come get your car or we charge more” in the app. Just insane. I guess they’re trying to shift to a vending machine style business and it’s only going to piss off Americans who don’t live their life through vending machines and are used to actual human customer service. And don’t burn $20k on a whim.

Reactions: henderrj
So you are saying Tesla did a massive repair with a new battery and the car now doesn’t run again? I’ve had the exact opposite experiences with Tesla service. I’m confused to why you wouldn’t let wk057 fix the car for 1/3 of the price and you might have had confidence in their repair. Did you buy this car new from Tesla or their cpo program? Perhaps the previous owner didn’t treat this car as good as you did with the charging routine. I had my battery coolant heater fail at less than 5000 miles on the car. Tesla had this fixed in 24 hours and gave me a p90d loaner. I have heard stories like this but this just seems unbelievable to me that their repair failed in such a short time. After reading this thread you have never put up numbers regarding your rated range after being asked by numerous other posters. That seems like a fairly simple thing to do and it would have been the very first thing I did after getting the car back from Tesla.

No shade but I think you should’ve spent more time researching on this forum, I was clueless about this whole process a month ago but I’ve learned a lot by reading up on different threads. 20k is no small sum of money and you definitely could’ve called Tesla to speak to someone about it. I know they make things harder for us but there are still workarounds.

I called 3rd repair repair vendors and they were either too far or declined to attempt repair.

Previous owner was probably fine. I’ve had the car for 5 years and taken good care of it. It’s been in service several times and been inspected several times. Always told battery was in great shape until it suddenly died.

It wasn’t CPO. It was on original warranty when I bought it.

Rated range that I saw briefly before car died was like 296 I think at 100%.

Tesla doesn’t communicate with me really. At best I get texts like “drop it off and we’ll look at it”. Which isn’t an option for me. They don’t return my calls. I get a text every few days at best with a brief cryptic message. Service has been insanely horrible and bizarre.

I’m giving them every opportunity to do the right thing. Paid them a fortune. Actually drove all the way there and spent all day in the car to go get it myself. No humans were available to talk to of course. I just got in with my App and drove off. And now car has died immediately again. Put in service ticket 6 hours ago and no reply. Total ghost mode and incompetence so far. Never paid 1/10th as much on a car repair as I have no and haven’t encountered 1/10 as much failure and poor customer service as I have before now.

I’m endlessly patient and generous but it’s running out. They have 1 more opportunity to make it right before lawyering up.

• Informative
Wow this is truly a sad story for you. Imo Tesla should change their model S battery warranty to cap at mileage and not years. 48k miles is an unacceptable failure point for a battery. Would anyone accept an ice engine failure at 48k miles? This would be a good will gesture to replace batteries under certain mileage which tesla isn’t willing to do. It makes me wonder how fair their warranty is. For example if you had put 198k miles on this car and the battery failed 1 month before warranty you would have received a free replacement. Seems counterintuitive for Tesla to replace a battery driven 4x more for free versus your scenario.

It’s all bizarre and not being done correctly. There’s bad decisions being made top down at Tesla. And they’re just resting in their laurels as the only game in town for EVs and infrastructure.

When I first got my car, this was before the Model 3 existed, when Elon was in the Fremont factory making the first cars. And customer service was excellent. White glove treatment, great communication. I was very happy and promoted the brand eagerly.

Now I put $15k in a vending machine and the candy bar gets stuck and won’t fall down. And I have nobody to help me other than sending a text to another vending machine. It’s just bizarre and wrong. Whatever cost cutting or corporate experimentalism is going on is failing humans.

I got a text in the app saying they’re looking into it. So that’s all I’ve got. Meanwhile I’m borrowing a car and leaving my Tesla stranded at my work parking lot where it might get towed or who knows what.

I feel like people just don’t have any sense anymore. Maybe I’m just old and from a different time where customer service mattered, reputation mattered, $15k was a huge amount of money for something like a car repair, a catastrophic failure of a car at 48k miles was unheard of and was considered scandalous.

Things are just weird and wrong now. Everything is a cynical meme I guess.

1) On your 17" display, under Control, Service, Notifications, those error messages you noticed are still present. Can you take a picture of them and post here so we can see?

2) Would you also post the portion of your invoice where it shows what battery pack you received?

Imo Tesla should change their model S battery warranty to cap at mileage and not years. 48k miles is an unacceptable failure point for a battery.

Batteries degrade chemically as a result of calendar aging whether they’re used or not. It might be a nice thought to think they should warrant things interminably, but that’s never going to happen. The 8 year infinite mile warranty that came with a 2013 Model S was actually quite generous.

Batteries degrade chemically as a result of calendar aging whether they’re used or not. It might be a nice thought to think they should warrant things interminably, but that’s never going to happen. The 8 year infinite mile warranty that came with a 2013 Model S was actually quite generous.
On another thread this has been discussed and debated extensively. There is a camp that believes model s batteries do not age much under calendar aging and age more instead due to cycling from charging. Either way you lean it’s definitely a debate. Also my car is 7 years old and is showing less than 1% degradation. I don’t know if this is a true reading but it’s an early 90kwh battery and would go to 265 max charge rated on the screen. Tessie is showing .04% degradation. I want to do a few more cycles before I believe this number. So if I have 14,600 miles on the car in July of 2024 when the warranty expires, do you think Tesla should have to replace the battery? Why or why not?

Car won’t boot up anymore. It seems the HV battery destroyed the 12v battery again quickly.

I just recall several errors saying high voltage error and vehicle doesn’t have enough voltage to move, before it bricked.

It says the 90kwh C pack.

It seems to be some issue with the battery phantom draining rapidly or short circuiting then destroying the 12v battery.

It makes me think my old 85kwh pack was probably fine and we replaced the pack with another working pack, but never fixed the real issue so it’s just bricking batteries over and over.

It may even be a software issue.

Impossible for me to diagnose but I have a feeling replacing the battery pack was not the correct fix and Tesla basically just destroyed 2 perfectly good battery packs already. :(

Car won’t boot up anymore. It seems the HV battery destroyed the 12v battery again quickly.

I just recall several errors saying high voltage error and vehicle doesn’t have enough voltage to move, before it bricked.

It says the 90kwh C pack.

It seems to be some issue with the battery phantom draining rapidly or short circuiting then destroying the 12v battery.

It makes me think my old 85kwh pack was probably fine and we replaced the pack with another working pack, but never fixed the real issue so it’s just bricking batteries over and over.

It may even be a software issue.

Impossible for me to diagnose but I have a feeling replacing the battery pack was not the correct fix and Tesla basically just destroyed 2 perfectly good battery packs already. :(

Was the 12v replaced as part of the HV battery work you just had done?