Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S won't boot up or drive after parked overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So sorry for your saga!

I read with interest bc I have a similar problem with my 2013 S, except it is completely dead...won't unlock doors, or connect to app, or open charge door. I tried all the tricks with fob to get in, plus new fob battery. She sat unattended in garage for 2 months at 50% charge when last driven...now nothing. Mobile Tesla tech scheduled in 2 days, but I'm afraid they will cancel if they cannot connect with her first. 150K miles, new 12v a year ago...new MCU 4 months ago. I'm not optimistic, especially after reading this thread!
Your 12v is dead. Have you tried any basic 12v system troubleshooting, jumping, etc? No amount of new fob battery is going to communicate with a dead car.

Reactions: henderrj
Thanks for the advice! Removed nose cone (not easily done), found the battery terminals, applied a trickle charger, and the car came alive immediately! The handles extended and I am now connected to my garage charger! THANK YOU!! I'll wait until fully charged before I cancel the mobile tech...

Thanks for the advice! Removed nose cone (not easily done), found the battery terminals, applied a trickle charger, and the car came alive immediately! The handles extended and I am now connected to my garage charger! THANK YOU!! I'll wait until fully charged before I cancel the mobile tech...

How many miles was left off your HV battery capacity once you access the car?

Is the car charging at all?

Last edited:
My car seems to eat through 12v batteries fast even though it goes into a sleep mode more often nowadays than when I first had it.

They basically said I'm screwed until they build a service center in Tallahassee or approve a body shop here for repairs. So it's just remaining dirty and broken until that happens.

They've also said they'd build a service center here 6 years ago. So I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe one day it'll get fully repaired and I'll get it detailed and it'll feel like a fresh car again.

It's looking like they are going to actually build a service center here. Then they should be able to fix all my issues for free. I am getting my hopes up but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm hoping construction is started and completed ASAP. No idea when it'll happen. My guess is about 1.5 years from now.

I'm going to try and be the first client served. And I'll have a doozy for them to figure out.

Recently did a little road trip testing. Driving efficiently with range mode on around 60 mph average I got about 245 miles on a full charge with the new battery. On the way home I turned off range mode, cranked up the AC, drove average of 80 mph and got about 210 max range. So, it is better than before, but not in a huge way. The new battery does charge faster which is really nice. It started giving me the idle fees warnings and throttling from having all the stations full, that was annoying. I'm used to Supercharger stations being empty and it taking an hour+ to fillup.

• Informative
I drove by the site where they're supposed to build the service center. I'm now creeping around anxiously waiting for construction to begin. Trying to figure out who the store manager will be so I can contact them and be the first customer. Anxious to get my car repaired after years of things being broken. I keep hoping Tesla will make me a trade up offer I can't refuse or something. I mostly just want my car, but without all the broken stuff and rattles, with adaptive cruise control and better ride quality. And reliability.

Welp car has voltage error and won't go into gear again. Looks like it's bricked for the foreseeable future. Tesla doesn't want to look at it. Says I should tow it 250 miles and they can take a look at it again(2 failed battery repairs and $15k+ in the hole already). Warranty doesn't seem to cover much. Can't talk to a human. Just kiosk robot/AI canned responses. So I guess the car will sit in my garage until they build a service center near by or I sell it.

Solidified me as going from a long time heavy Tesla supporter in the early days to avoiding the brand going forward. Customer service and post-sales experience is just too bad to keep me.

Hopefully onto new and better experiences with other brands! I'm thinking of getting something new in about a year. Maybe a Lyriq or Silverado EV or potentially a Porsche. Looking forward to seeing what's available in the near future.

Technician found a loose battery cable and crossthreaded nut on the fuse box. SC likely overtightened the nut and destroyed the fuse box, ruining the 12v battery. Just another flub up from the SC it seems. They also scratched up my rear bumper, as well as other scratches all over the car, and broke my parking sensors somehow.

So, Tesla is trying to find a fusebox and 12v battery. They're going to cut the old one out and see if that fixes the issue.

No ETA but we'll see!

Everyone always recommends I just trade in the car for a new one. These old ones are very difficult to work on and it's hard to get parts for them. If Tesla would offer me an amazing trade in deal I'd do it but they keep lowballing me and won't negotiate.

They did say they approved a local bodyshop recently so I'm going to see if they can repair the bumper and fix the parking sensors maybe.

• Informative
Mobile tech came and repaired the car yesterday. They don't make the fuse box my Model S uses so they had to salvage one from a scrap car. Even then they only got part of the fusebox so the tech had to create a new fuse box from 2 units Frankenstein style in my garage.

Car is running again and I'm trying to get Tesla to repair the other damage from the service center now that my city has an approved body repair shop afaik.

The saga continues!

I'll give my car 3 more months until it bricks again randomly.

Just found out my old P85DL had it's battery pack replaced with one of these newer 350 90kwh packs.

1014116-00-c​

Can you use one of these pack in a P58DL? In order to make the same power of the original 400v x 1500a packs, the 350v pack must pull 1714 amps which I seriously doubt it could do.

Just found out my old P85DL had it's battery pack replaced with one of these newer 350 90kwh packs.

1014116-00-c​

Can you use one of these pack in a P58DL? In order to make the same power of the original 400v x 1500a packs, the 350v pack must pull 1714 amps which I seriously doubt it could do.
What do you mean you just found out? How did Tesla swap the pack without you knowing? Or was it done before your ownership?