Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85 FS $13k -- totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is rebuildable I think but I would not necessarily advise that. See pictures below. My insurance company has done their appraisal and said that the estimate for repairs is $39k so they are totaling the car. This is the initial estimate and of course there is a high likelihood of "supplementals" if they actually did go in and disassemble/repair the car.

The car has all the options available at the time besides the "Plus" and 21" wheels. The 19" wheels are perfect and have Modesta coating, and the tires are Michelins that were bought new in July and have most of their tread left. Early this year I had some drivetrain noise so Tesla replaced the drive unit with a new one. Car has the upgraded LTE radio, and has Modesta coating. The entire front end had Suntek clear film, but except for possibly one fender all that is irrelevant due to the impact. All the glass (besides the panoramic roof) has Photosync tint -- not a heavy tint, but if you look up the threads it is the best tint out there for keeping the car cooler. The windshield is destroyed either due to the impact of the airbags or due to the pressure differential which also popped the sunroof open (not sure if there is damage to the sunroof or not). The front and rear doors open and close as new, so my guess is that the real damage is limited to forward of the firewall. The airbags did deploy so this of course makes most of the dash not really usable. It does have carbon fiber for the dash/etc options. Carbon fiber spoiler. Black leather seats with red piping which were available new only with the P85 at the time.

I do not have to sell this car -- the insurance company is paying out. I'll sell it only if someone comes up really really fast because it is just too easy to take the money. If you buy from me, I will make a nominal amount to help pay for the loss, so the price isn't negotiable. We loved the car and put 86k miles on it in our three years of ownership with cross country drives, all our vacations, and all our commuting. It is depressing to have paid monthly payments, insurance, detailing (multi-stage paint correction and the Suntek film/Modesta coating), Photosync tint, etc., only to have someone pull in front of my wife and now we have to pay out of pocket to get out of the loan and we have no car left. This will help us at least break even on the existing lien, but I think I'll keep this post up no more than two days before just taking the full payout from insurance.

The car is in Fredericksburg, VA and I can help arrange that you can take a look if you'd like.

View media item 116283View media item 116282View media item 116281

If someone rebuilds this car I'd be absolutely interested in buying it back. I had planned to keep this car forever and ever. The cars we're driving right now between the three drivers in our house are our 91 Volvo (bought in 1995 and presently over 250k miles), our '04 Sienna (bought new and now with 242k miles), and our '04 Jetta (bought from my friend a few years ago, he was the original owner, presently with 244k miles). The other cars I have are our 85 Ferrari I bought in 97, and the 39 Rolls I bought in 2004 and my '57 Chevy I bought in 1986. I don't typically sell cars, I keep them and drive them, so this loss is kind of crushing. We really enjoyed the car.

I strongly considered rebuilding it. I paid for the 100k mile warranty and it has over 14k miles left on it, but I bet Tesla wouldn't honor that warranty if it has a salvage title. I also wonder if they'd honor the 8 year unlimited mile powertrain/battery warranty on the salvage title. Finally, I was worried that $39k to repair was just the tip of the iceberg. If all went well, the accident would have had me with the car back in hand at the end with a lower loan balance, but diminished value is real (although I probably would never have sold it).

I strongly considered rebuilding it. I paid for the 100k mile warranty and it has over 14k miles left on it, but I bet Tesla wouldn't honor that warranty if it has a salvage title. I also wonder if they'd honor the 8 year unlimited mile powertrain/battery warranty on the salvage title. Finally, I was worried that $39k to repair was just the tip of the iceberg. If all went well, the accident would have had me with the car back in hand at the end with a lower loan balance, but diminished value is real (although I probably would never have sold it).

You're making the right decision. Considering that similar mileage/ vintage P85's are selling for $40,000 - $45,000, putting 40k into this car to fix it would be a really bad move. Tesla's warranties are void when the car is issued a salvage title. So if you had it fixed at a Tesla certified shop Tesla would service the car but it would be at your expense.