Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Coming Soon Superchargers - location unknown so far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
airj1012,

Re: Huntersville

If the segment of I-485 is completed between I-77 and I-85, it will be less than 10 miles long. If the supercharger is located between them, it would be >5 miles out of the way on either I-85 or I-77. Because I-85 dips down inside I-485, I-85 travelers could just as easily bypass Charlotte to the north on I-485 with hardly any increase in total distance driven.

I remember when there were rumors about a supercharger site on the southern half of I-485 and the town of Matthews was actually contacted by Tesla. That location seemed really counter-intuitive, since it wasn't near I-85, I-77 or I-26. I recently asked employees at the Raleigh Service Center about a service center, gallery and/or supercharger in Charlotte. They get kind of squirrely when you ask about Charlotte. I never figured out why that was.

When the Santee supercharger was built, the contractor's local base of operation was not Santee or Lumberton, which were under construction at the same time. The contractor for Macon (who may be the same J. Ranch Electric of Mount Pleasant, Michigan) may have been referring to his local base of operation, rather than an actual site of construction. There is plenty of unincorporated land between Huntersville and Concord. Perhaps we should be thinking about Mecklenburg or Cabarras County.

Incidentally the criteria for the location of the electrical contractor's base of operations was the presence of an IBEW local and a good electrical supply house and hardware store, or a large Lowes or Home Depot with a good electrical department.

As has been noted elsewhere, if you enter http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/<locationname> into a browser, and have a correct location name, you get a 'coming soon' screen which seems like a confirmation for that location.
Doing so, for instance, confirms Primm, Manteca, Casa Grande, Toronto, and South Hill.
Looking at the source code for the corresponding page shows the gps coordinates of the map on that page...e.g.
Primm gps of 35.6068000000,-115.3889000000 is in the middle of a mall, as is the Manteca gps coordinates of 37.7812000000,-121.2301000000

If anything thing comes of this, please let us know. With our 60, the dead zone along 85 is a killer. Thanks!

I just reached out to South Hill, VA and Tesla has been communicating with the town over the past few weeks. "Tesla is talking with the owner of a restaurant located near the I85/Exit 15 interchange about building the charging facility near the restaurant ."

The restaurant is Kahill's Restaurant & Bar at 1791 N Mecklenburg Ave South Hill, VA 23970. Although my contact mentioned that Tesla has not submitted any designs so I believe they're pretty far away from starting this one. Planning 6-8 stalls though.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe we should start a wiki with a chart of these locations. Show if anything is confirmed, what status its in, etc.