Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aside from the painting , do you consider this a DIY weekend project of say medium difficulty? Once the painting is done, how many hours should one budget? Also, my 2013 S is pre-parking sensor, so I was thinking if I do this I might try to fit in the parking sensors holes an after market parking sensor kit such as this one;
4 Parking Sensor Reversing Radar Kit Wireless Reverse LED Display Buzzer Alarm | eBay
Will that work? Thanks.

Pulling the bumper off is a 15min job at the most. 2 Bolts, 2 screws and a handfull of clips along the underside. There is on big connector to plug behind the passenger headlight, by the frame rail. The trim around the frunk also comes out.

They you will swap over your fog lights, vents, grill and parking sensors. This is pretty easy and straightforward. Say 20min.

They install the 2017 bumper and fasten. You are looking at about 15 minutes to install it.

Now add an hour for misc things like, moving your 12V jumper terminal if you wish, I'll probably leave mine. Maybe I will make a video for everyone. I can pull the bumper safely is less than 5 mins and install the new one in 5min. This is easier than my car I have ever done so start this job with some confidence. Take your time and work slow. Remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast!

Not sure about your parking sensor question I would have to look at them but I imagine it will go just fine.

That´s not "assumptions".
It´s sheer proportions and the ability to abstract.
Either we have a too big hole, or flattened out an "under bite".
But anyway kudos in trying and pioneering!

Not to get into a disagreement n but I think the assumption that the hood is different is a myth. But I may be proved wrong with my own install. On this install the gap on the left side is a bit wider, but it's the side not the top of the hood. The top curvature seems fine. This could very well be a result of the bumper being slightly misaligned.

I'm quite the certain the hoods are indeed different. It is very subtle but noticeable, at least to me. The facelift hood is much flatter in the center section at the front and front edge is essentially horizontal over the emblem. On the original hood, the front is a continuous curve from edge to edge.

Definitive way to find out is confirm the part numbers and see if they are the same or different.

Definitive way to find out is confirm the part numbers and see if they are the same or different.

Could be an indicator, but in context a new PN could also be a false positive. Especially given that the classic hood has a creasing problem, a new PN for the facelift hood could be the result of solving that problem--without any other FFF changes.

Flatter vs curvier leading edge could also be an illusion; a straightedge and a little KISS would get right to the bottom of it...

I'm quite the certain the hoods are indeed different. It is very subtle but noticeable, at least to me. The facelift hood is much flatter in the center section at the front and front edge is essentially horizontal over the emblem. On the original hood, the front is a continuous curve from edge to edge.

This is exactly how I've always seen it. The facelift hood edge is almost flat. The classic is curved. It is subtle, but it's there for sure.

Could be an indicator, but in context a new PN could also be a false positive. Especially given that the classic hood has a creasing problem, a new PN for the facelift hood could be the result of solving that problem--without any other FFF changes.

Flatter vs curvier leading edge could also be an illusion; a straightedge and a little KISS would get right to the bottom of it...

If the new hood replaces the old one, it should note that somewhere in the parts listing "REPLACES PN #********" etc. I love the ingenuity for giving it a try.

• Funny
Reactions: bxr140
Guys,

sorry to be the party pooper here.
It will not work and be an easy fit.
You take it personal (maybe it was my German tone, sorry for that), what should be a technical plausibility.
It´s not that You pioneering work is not appreciated. Great that You try and maybe find a solution.
It´s just that TESLA deliberately blocked the easy swap efforts here by design.
The hood is different shaped. Flatter and longer.
Longer to slim down the gap from the bumper coming up almost vertical, while the old nosecone had a bent and thus allowed for a shorter hood coming in more bent from the top and arch shaped by radius.

My quick and dirty photoshop exercises earlier were called "liquified" for a reason. I slimmed down the arch shape from the old hood to minimize the gap, yet still the hood is too short.
That´s why ALL aftermarket solutions fight with this, no matter which brand.
Either hood & bumper or "under bite".

Look I shot this over the week end at the SeC to illustrate the challenge:
IFK5000A.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    532.2 KB · Views: 108