Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 p85d battery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, sorry to ask this as I'm sure something similar has been asked 10000 times.

Secondly, I just purchased a used 2015 p85d from tesla a week ago.
So a question that you would maybe know. My battery seems to be using up more power/mileage than what it should. My commute to work is 12miles and my range drops by 16-18 miles even when I'm in chill mode and driving casually with no hard acceleration.

On top of that when I clock on energy menu the displayed estimated range is usually about 30miles less than what shows on dash.

Additionally , this might be normal, but when input in insane mode(not insane +) and do a hard acceleration up to about 80mph, the range drops 3 to 4 miles. This is all going by the range shown left in driver dash. Is this normal as well?
Is there something wrong with my battery? Should I take it in to get checked out?

Thanks for the quick replies guy . Really appreciate it. Just has me worried for once I start doing longer trips whether I'll be able to go as far as the range shows or adjust my calculations to next charge differently.

Totally normal. Our 2015 P85D has averaged 350kW/mile for 55,000 miles with 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer only tires and Tesla Arachnid wheels. 100% used to be 253 miles... probably 248 miles now with REAL maximum range driving conservatively on relatively flat terrain paved roads with Range Mode ON ~ 200 miles maximum REAL miles.

I suggest you change your display from miles to % to minimize your "Range Anxiety" and just enjoy your car... and recharge it when your battery % get's low. We've road tripped our P85D from SoCal to Denver via Zion, Monument Valley, Moab including a 200 road mile section in February through an EV charger "black hole" from Page AZ to Blanding UT. Just use your navigation and watch the "% remaining at destination" to adjust your speed so you arrive with ~ 20% remaining.

I'm only about a month and a half into owning my '15 85D, and I had similar concerns about range. I even anxiously asked that the dealership charge the car up fully (they did only charge it to 80%) before I picked it up because it was about 100 miles away.

Best thing I've done for my range concerns was to switch the display to %. Read a comment elsewhere that most people don't have their phones set to "minutes remaining" and instead use %. After getting used to percentage, I think about the actual range a lot less. I can still see the calculated range in the energy display, if I'm really curious.

First longer trip is tomorrow, and I'm definitely overthinking it. I imagine after this trip I'll be a lot more comfortable with future trips. Packing the charger, just in case. Also know there's a super charger not far from my destination. There's a good chance I'll be able to make the round trip without charging at all but my brain won't let me not think about it.

I'm only about a month and a half into owning my '15 85D, and I had similar concerns about range. I even anxiously asked that the dealership charge the car up fully (they did only charge it to 80%) before I picked it up because it was about 100 miles away.

Best thing I've done for my range concerns was to switch the display to %. Read a comment elsewhere that most people don't have their phones set to "minutes remaining" and instead use %. After getting used to percentage, I think about the actual range a lot less. I can still see the calculated range in the energy display, if I'm really curious.

First longer trip is tomorrow, and I'm definitely overthinking it. I imagine after this trip I'll be a lot more comfortable with future trips. Packing the charger, just in case. Also know there's a super charger not far from my destination. There's a good chance I'll be able to make the round trip without charging at all but my brain won't let me not think about it.

Good stuff. Let me know how that goes. I found out how to change to % and think that will help but have still been anxiously watching that too hah . I know I wont be running out during drives around town but it's a new thing and trying to figure our ranges and how far I can actually go on a 80% charge reliably. When I was watching it and seeing me lose miles out of thin air it had me worried that if I was going on a trip, had 210 miles in battery range and next charger was even 175miles away, would I actually make it there as I seemed to be losing miles .

Itll take 1 long trip to get me over it i think

Reactions: 2101Guy
Thanks for the quick replies guy . Really appreciate it. Just has me worried for once I start doing longer trips whether I'll be able to go as far as the range shows or adjust my calculations to next charge differently.
You will not get rated range unless you’re driving 60 on a flat road with no climate control on.

And good luck recharging your 85 battery on road trips. With batterygate and chargegate you’re in for a looooong wait.

I can’t even believe Tesla is still selling used P85Ds to unsuspecting customers.

You will not get rated range unless you’re driving 60 on a flat road with no climate control on.

And good luck recharging your 85 battery on road trips. With batterygate and chargegate you’re in for a looooong wait.

I can’t even believe Tesla is still selling used P85Ds to unsuspecting customers.

not ALL P85d’s have been affected by batterygate/chargegate. (Knock on wood) mine hasn’t on either note. 60k on the odo still Super’s at a normal rate and still getting 243 at max charge (have lost 10 miles over 5 years)

As a side note to the op..my wh/mi averages around 320 in its 60k miles. I’ve personally found that driving in chill vs insane does zero for my consumption other than it drives like a Prius and not a Tesla when I’m chill. I suppose it would keep you from a quick take off.

on road trips there are plenty of supers around so don’t worry about not making it to your destination. I’ve done many road trips. The latest was 346 mile road trip. Windy both way. Over two mountain passes and no charging capability at my destination. (My moms summer place) I stopped on the way and charged for 21 minutes and 20 minutes on the way home. I only needed 10 but used a Tesla only restroom and grabbed a coffee.

drive the car and enjoy the heck out of it.

not ALL P85d’s have been affected by batterygate/chargegate. (Knock on wood) mine hasn’t on either note. 60k on the odo still Super’s at a normal rate and still getting 243 at max charge (have lost 10 miles over 5 years)

As a side note to the op..my wh/mi averages around 320 in its 60k miles. I’ve personally found that driving in chill vs insane does zero for my consumption other than it drives like a Prius and not a Tesla when I’m chill. I suppose it would keep you from a quick take off.

on road trips there are plenty of supers around so don’t worry about not making it to your destination. I’ve done many road trips. The latest was 346 mile road trip. Windy both way. Over two mountain passes and no charging capability at my destination. (My moms summer place) I stopped on the way and charged for 21 minutes and 20 minutes on the way home. I only needed 10 but used a Tesla only restroom and grabbed a coffee.

drive the car and enjoy the heck out of it.

Thanks for the info. I've used supercharging twice and was getting plenty of juice. you guys are making me feel little more at eas . Thanks

Reactions: AustinP and 2101Guy

When I use the navigation it is usually bang on: if I drive sensibly in average weather if it says I will have 17% upon arrival I have exactly that. It takes into account the speed, uphills and downhills, and even outside temperature into account. The only factor I know of that it can’t adjust for is wind. I have learned to trust it.

I also have a P85D and all seems normal.

With recent updates, the fans and cooling loop run if you charge over about 75-80%. I also have a short commute, so don’t need 100% range on a normal day, so I reduced the charge limit to 75% and have less vampire drain after charging.

For comparison, I had a Mini Cooper S (turbo). The instantaneous mpg readout would drop to 5 mpg when I floored it.

Reactions: bubafett
... My commute to work is 12miles and my range drops by 16-18 miles even when I'm in chill mode and driving casually with no hard acceleration.

A 20% hit on range is normal.

When it's cold out, 50ºF or so, expect a 40% hit. More if colder.

Since you bought your car from Tesla you should have Free Unlimited Supercharging. Hopefully that takes some of the sting away.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
while mine isnt a 85 (I have 2017 90), took me the one road trip (about 300 miles roundtrip) to lose all anxiety. Cruising at about 70mph on autopilot most of the way with AC on (mostly flat terrain) I saw almost spot on range consumption. There were 2 SC stations on my route. Learned to let the battery get low and now I fully understand the concept of maximizing the 20% to 60% area for max efficiency. (Less overall time spent at SC's). If I were spending the night, I wouldn't have had to stop at all. Could have used my relatives 120 volt to charge overnight for 10-14 hours and about 50 miles of charge.

My daily driving (before pandemic) was about 25 miles a day. Now it averages maybe 50 miles a week. So I charge maybe once a week and keep the charge anywhere between 30% and 75%

I found this thread educational

Battery Degradation Scientifically Explained

Last edited:
Reactions: bubafett
You can also minimize "Range Anxiety" by using one the several great Tesla route planning apps:

EVTripPlanner https://www.evtripplanner.com/ (web only)

A Better Route Planner A Better Routeplanner (web & iOS app)

They're accurate if you enter in all the inputs: vehicle model, wheel size, payload, ambient temperature on route, starting % SoC ("State of Charge"), etc. I've used them for years on some very remote road trips and never ran our battery below 10% SoC (unexpected nasty desert monsoon headwind)... and usually arrive with > 20% SoC.

Planning your trips using these tools will help you understand your 85kW Tesla's range, especially when ambient temperatures are really LOW and/or winds are HIGH. They also enable multi-destination trip planning unlike the Tesla navigation which only allows ONE destination.

You can also run Tesla Winds Tesla Winds and Elevation in your Tesla browser to keep an eye on wind while you drive. Priceless in windy areas to not run out of power in strong headwinds ... or stop to charge too soon in strong tailwinds. Our P85D on AutoPilot almost completely eliminates us from feeling winds so we don't "feel" them like we would driving almost any other vehicle.

Love all the downvotes here. Must be Tesla employees covering for the boss.

• Love
Reactions: Chaserr