Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 S85D Unlimited Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

Just purchased a 2015 Model S 85D yesterday from a VW dealership. The Tesla was a 1 owner car and yesterday before buying I went to test free supercharging which worked! So was under the impression that the free supercharging for life would be valid while I am now the new owner of the car. I just talked to Tesla today about scheduling service to fix the dash screen bubble issue and asked if they updated the infotainment system if that would remove my unlimited supercharging.

They said the unlimited supercharging would be removed once the car registration is picked up by the DMV but the person I was talking to was not too sure.

Does anyone have experience with this? A major reason why I purchased was for the fact that there was unlimited free supercharging and I did not expect to lose it on this vehicle.

By the way I did go through the supercharging check here - Tesla Free Supercharging (Unlimited): How to Check if You Have It! and I did find the SC01 in the HTML source on the page. Hopefully that is a good sign and will not change? Is there a process for this - a number to call or a website to go through to make sure we keep this feature?

I'm also worried that any service Tesla performs would remove the supercharging because I am not the original owner.

Thanks for your help here!

Reactions: gregoryg
Hello!

Just purchased a 2015 Model S 85D yesterday from a VW dealership. The Tesla was a 1 owner car and yesterday before buying I went to test free supercharging which worked! So was under the impression that the free supercharging for life would be valid while I am now the new owner of the car. I just talked to Tesla today about scheduling service to fix the dash screen bubble issue and asked if they updated the infotainment system if that would remove my unlimited supercharging.

They said the unlimited supercharging would be removed once the car registration is picked up by the DMV but the person I was talking to was not too sure.

Does anyone have experience with this? A major reason why I purchased was for the fact that there was unlimited free supercharging and I did not expect to lose it on this vehicle.

By the way I did go through the supercharging check here - Tesla Free Supercharging (Unlimited): How to Check if You Have It! and I did find the SC01 in the HTML source on the page. Hopefully that is a good sign and will not change? Is there a process for this - a number to call or a website to go through to make sure we keep this feature?

I'm also worried that any service Tesla performs would remove the supercharging because I am not the original owner.

Thanks for your help here!

Thank you for posting the link regarding unlimited super charging. I ask Tesla via app to request to upgrade my 3G to LTE, then they called to let me know that they'll remove my Unlimited Supercharging. I checked the source code from my Tesla account and it also says SC01. Mine is a 2012 Model S 85. I was thinking of cancelling the upgrade and just use my phone's hotspot as I dont want them to rig my supercharging or should
I continue the upgrade?

Reactions: gregoryg
Upvote 0
Thank you for posting the link regarding unlimited super charging. I ask Tesla via app to request to upgrade my 3G to LTE, then they called to let me know that they'll remove my Unlimited Supercharging. I checked the source code from my Tesla account and it also says SC01. Mine is a 2012 Model S 85. I was thinking of cancelling the upgrade and just use my phone's hotspot as I dont want them to rig my supercharging or should
I continue the upgrade?
I am also in the same boat, my MCU2 upgrade is this Sunday. From what Tesla has told me, I will lose my unlimited supercharging but that does not make complete sense to me. After many searches and the great people of this forum, I am more confident that my SC will remain on my account (since it is already a part of it now) and no service they do should change that.

Upvote 0
I continue the upgrade?
I am also in the same boat, my MCU2 upgrade is this Sunday. From what Tesla has told me, I will lose my unlimited supercharging but that does not make complete sense to me. After many searches and the great people of this forum, I am more confident that my SC will remain on my account (since it is already a part of it now) and no service they do should change that.
Tesla is not allowed to do that. Period. That was a published commitment in writing that they gave on their website (which constitutes a contract) that free unlimited lifetime Supercharger would pass along permanently through all subsequent owners throughout the lifetime of the car. They are not allowed to renege on that contract. If Tesla ever bought the car, and got ownership of it again through a trade-in at some point, then they could. But if it has just been sold around to other people, they cannot.

This has happened before, and it's just new Tesla employees who are clueless. Owners have threatened Tesla and shown them the documentation, and Tesla has backed down.

Upvote 0
Tesla is not allowed to do that. Period. That was a published commitment in writing that they gave on their website (which constitutes a contract) that free unlimited lifetime Supercharger would pass along permanently through all subsequent owners throughout the lifetime of the car. They are not allowed to renege on that contract. If Tesla ever bought the car, and got ownership of it again through a trade-in at some point, then they could. But if it has just been sold around to other people, they cannot.

This has happened before, and it's just new Tesla employees who are clueless. Owners have threatened Tesla and shown them the documentation, and Tesla has backed down.
Do you have a link to the published commitment? Just in case I run into any headaches with new Tesla employees?

Upvote 0
The only way Tesla will remove the lifetime free supercharging is if the car was owned by Tesla, even for just a minute. If it’s Tesla’s car they can remove the LFS, along with any other software packages purchased by a previous owner. So if your dealer bought the car at auction from Tesla, or from an entity that bought from Tesla, then you can expect removal of the LFS. If the car never passes through Tesla’s ownership, then they cannot remove the LFS. Sometimes it takes a while for Tesla to update the car’s status, so it’s possible that a car can show lifetime supercharging only to have it removed later. There has been courtroom involvement in one or more previous cases, and I believe that Tesla has restored the LFS, but that’s from memory and I’m pretty old, so you should verify if you find it important.

Reactions: brkaus
Upvote 0
Do you have a link to the published commitment? Just in case I run into any headaches with new Tesla employees?
Yes, here.

Upvote 0
FWIW, my late 2016 S90D came new with "unlimited free supercharging, transferable to next owner". When I had my MCU1 updated to MCU2 there was no change with that. Now that I have HW3 and (finally) FSD activated, no change to the unlimited free SC. Something doesn't sound right with losing UFSC - *except* that it only transfers to a new owner when it's a personal sale. Going thru car dealers or buying from Tesla seems to have free UFSC removed prior to sale.

• Disagree
Reactions: gregoryg and Yurand
Upvote 0
Something doesn't sound right with losing UFSC - *except* that it only transfers to a new owner when it's a personal sale.
No.
Going thru car dealers or buying from Tesla seems to have free UFSC removed prior to sale.
From dealers--no. From Tesla--yes.
This is really straightforward. It is a part of the car that belongs to the car. Only the owner of the car can choose to remove it from the car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Part of the confusion is in Jan-2017, FUSC changed to be non-transferable. So if a car bought in mid-January 2017 or later is sold to someone else, the FUSC stops. Later the FUSC program ended for later cars. None of this affects S/X bought before mid-January 2017 and Supercharging is lifetime and transferable.
There is one carve-out, where if Tesla bought the used car (i.e. as a trade-in), they have the option of removing FUSC and often (always?) do. These cars may be sold at auction to dealers, so be aware a dealer who sold a Tesla S/X might not come with FUSC. For those new to Tesla, Tesla does not have dealers. I'm referring to used car lots of legacy dealers.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Hi.
So what did end up happening? Did your fusc stayed with you?
Also Im on a very similar boat. I just bought a used 2014 model S from a third party dealer, but the ownership of Tesla app was still under previous owner. Car does currently have unlimited free super charge and free premium connectivity but I haven't transferred the ownership through the app yet.. because from what I'm reading, there is a good chance that I will lose those perks if I transfer the ownership by myself. unless I can reach out the previous owner and directly transfer over to me. And my car already has MCU2 upgrade from previous owner... I wonder if tesla changed the SC01 code while they were working on it...

Upvote 0
Hi.
So what did end up happening? Did your fusc stayed with you?
Also Im on a very similar boat. I just bought a used 2014 model S from a third party dealer, but the ownership of Tesla app was still under previous owner. Car does currently have unlimited free super charge and free premium connectivity but I haven't transferred the ownership through the app yet.. because from what I'm reading, there is a good chance that I will lose those perks if I transfer the ownership by myself. unless I can reach out the previous owner and directly transfer over to me. And my car already has MCU2 upgrade from previous owner... I wonder if tesla changed the SC01 code while they were working on it...
I still have FUSC. According to a service tech, this could only be until Tesla finds out the car was sold via DMV registration and once it "hits their system" I may lose it. I am keeping faith that I will continue to have it.

Upvote 0
I still have FUSC. According to a service tech, this could only be until Tesla finds out the car was sold via DMV registration and once it "hits their system" I may lose it. I am keeping faith that I will continue to have it.
Ahh I see.
Also how did you transfer the ownership?
Did you get the previous owner to transfer to you directly? Or you did it by yourself through the app? Someone told me if I transfer by myself through the app, I will lose the fusc right away.. not sure if that is true.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Ahh I see.
Did you get the previous owner to transfer to you directly? Or you did it by yourself through the app? Someone told me if I transfer by myself through the app, I will lose the fusc right away.. not sure if that is true.
Thanks
I just added it through the app. The previous owner already deleted the car from his app so we couldn't do a transfer. I wouldn't worry about adding it and losing FUSC but I've heard so many different things about it. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Ahh I see.
Thanks
Hi @hanyu, did you end up losing fusc? I’m in a similar boat and am buying a 1 owner model s from a dealer. Dealer said it was a trade in. Seems like it currently has free supercharging, but I’ll need to use to the app to transfer ownership.

Also to the rest of the community, am I right in assuming that if the charging tab shows $0.00 for the last supercharging session (which was on dec 30, 2022), that the car currently has free supercharging?

Upvote 0
Hi @hanyu, did you end up losing fusc? I’m in a similar boat and am buying a 1 owner model s from a dealer. Dealer said it was a trade in. Seems like it currently has free supercharging, but I’ll need to use to the app to transfer ownership.

Also to the rest of the community, am I right in assuming that if the charging tab shows $0.00 for the last supercharging session (which was on dec 30, 2022), that the car currently has free supercharging?
1. Question was it a trade-in at that dealer or a Trade-in at Tesla who then sold it via auction to the dealer? If the latter, then it may not have FUSC.

2. You didn't say when the car was originally sold. Cars after about 17-Jan-2017 do not have transferable FUSC no matter how it was obtained.

3. On $0 charging session does not ensure FUSC. It could be the last owner had free miles due to several promotions in the past. Also, Tesla has provided free Supercharging events on occasion. Both of these are rare, so a $0 charging session is more likely FUSC, but not a certainty.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Fragger
Upvote 0
1. Question was it a trade-in at that dealer or a Trade-in at Tesla who then sold it via auction to the dealer? If the latter, then it may not have FUSC.

2. You didn't say when the car was originally sold. Cars after about 17-Jan-2017 do not have transferable FUSC no matter how it was obtained.

3. On $0 charging session does not ensure FUSC. It could be the last owner had free miles due to several promotions in the past. Also, Tesla has provided free Supercharging events on occasion. Both of these are rare, so a $0 charging session is more likely FUSC, but not a certainty.
It’s a 2016 refresh ap1 car. Dealer claims it was traded in to them directly. I tend to believe them, but wanted to find some way to confirm. Trust but verify

Upvote 0
UPDATE: Transfered over no problem
That's great. Did your premium connectivity stay as well? Im still waiting for my dealer to contact the previous owner to transfer the car to me directly. But it's been weeks with no updates.. I would have to use the app and do it myself. I'm nervous about losing fusc and free connectivity. I asked Tesla over the phone and in person and they said I will lose fusc once I transfer over. But seems like many people transferred over with no problem . 🤔

Upvote 0