Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016.5 Model S Seat upgrade/retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone I am in need of some advice/help. I have a 2016.5 Model S with 2nd Gen seats. I recently purchased the 4th Gen (Tesla Premium) seats and went to install them yesterday. The drivers seat switched over fine except the memory location, seat heater, and power headrest won’t work. As for the passenger seat, the new seat has three wiring harnesses and my car only has two available for connection. Due to the fact that there is still a harness that is not connected, the seat won’t move at all. Is there some sort of adapter I can purchase to turn the three seat harnesses into the two that my car has or is it possible to swap the wiring harnesses out of my old 2nd Gen seat to this new 4th Gen seat? I appreciate any and all help as I’m very desperate and love the new seats. Thanks!!

Keep us posted. Never did it before. But I’m sure I read about those memory modules somewhere. If you haven’t already, check the Tesla discord. There are a few people knowledgeable people on there that have done it. I’m sure they know more than I do. Wish I knew someone here on the upper east coast that has done it so I can learn how to do it my self too.

Keep us posted. Never did it before. But I’m sure I read about those memory modules somewhere. If you haven’t already, check the Tesla discord. There are a few people knowledgeable people on there that have done it. I’m sure they know more than I do. Wish I knew someone here on the upper east coast that has done it so I can learn how to do it my self too.
Can you share an invite to the Tesla discord or point me in the direction of how to join?

I just finished converting my second set of seats. I’m changing my interior to white so I started with the seats. I’m selling my 2018 premium black seats with working moving headrest that’s already wired up for 2012 to 2016 model s. Just need to be bolted to the floor.

Reactions: Solar40
I just finished converting my second set of seats. I’m changing my interior to white so I started with the seats. I’m selling my 2018 premium black seats with working moving headrest that’s already wired up for 2012 to 2016 model s. Just need to be bolted to the floor.
You wouldn’t happen to still have those seats laying around, would you? The driver’s side seat on my 2016.5 just jammed and shredded that flexible driveshaft, so I’m thinking of just replacing the seats entirely.

Take the wiring harness and if have memory module from your old seat and swap it over to your new seat. Everything should plug up besides headrest but u can hardwire it into a second switch or Into up down on lumbar support switch
I know this is old, but I am stuck at this same junction as @tommybell99. 2016.5 Model S. Trying to add 2017 Premium seats. The drivers side has 3 connectors, gray, black, yellow. They all plug in fine, seat controls work (aside from headrest control). The steering wheel will not move anymore.

The passenger seat also has 3 connectors but there is only a gray and yellow connector under the floor carpeting. Passenger seat also does not have a memory module.

Are you suggesting I take the memory module from the old drivers seat and put it into the new passenger seat? The old memory module only has 2 ports to connect while the new memory module on the 2017 seats has 3.
2017 Seat Memory Module - New item by Keith Asazawa
2016 Seat Memory Module - New item by Keith Asazawa

Greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.