Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC01 FUSC not transferring??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, if I understand correctly...

@DerbyDave's bought his car new June 28th, 2020 and either (1) was able to transfer a FUSC from his older trade-in that had it or (2) Tesla was doing some (for the first owner only) FUSC at that time. Either way... a used post 4/1/17 vehicle would certainly be non-transferrable to me.

BTW, I don't see a way for me to give your replies a thumbs-up.... but Thanks :cool:

Reactions: geordi
I've read the full thread and thank you all for clearing up what I have to do to hopefully find a car that might successfully transfer SC01 FUSC. It almost sounds like a crapshoot, but at least I can improve the odds.

@DerbyDave,
I've only been researching Model S's for about a week now and your post confused me a little. I thought...
  1. That these come with an 8yr warranty on motor and battery which by your list below would it was originally purchased June 28th, 2020.
  2. But... I thought Full Unlimited Supercharging stopped being available as of ~ April, 2017.
Do you have some special thing going on? Are there newer used Model S's than 2017's that have FUSC?

Thanks.
What @geordi said. Also, Tesla have offered to buy the transferable UFS on cars that had it for life from owners who sell out the transferability back to Tesla, or those cars that the owner's sell even in private sales. I don't know if the codes are changed on those cars at the time of the offer being accepted by Tesla, or after the car eventually transfers ownership. I am just saying that you cannot trust the cars codes anymore, or the car year as having transferable UFS. I'd get it in writing from Seller for any Tesla where this is an important purchase decision, indicating what happens if Tesla strips the UFS because of the Transfer.

Reactions: geordi
What @geordi said. Also, Tesla have offered to buy the transferable UFS on cars that had it for life from owners who sell out the transferability back to Tesla, or those cars that the owner's sell even in private sales. I don't know if the codes are changed on those cars at the time of the offer being accepted by Tesla, or after the car eventually transfers ownership. I am just saying that you cannot trust the cars codes anymore, or the car year as having transferable UFS. I'd get it in writing from Seller for any Tesla where this is an important purchase decision, indicating what happens if Tesla strips the UFS because of the Transfer.

Thank you. After reading the entire thread, I don't have near the incentive (or negativity) of some members about Tesla's policies on the subject. No other manufacturer could or would ever offer such a deal! I am a big Musk fanboy! No other human on this Earth has ever done more... positive (or at least disruptive to the status quo)... and I think he's only getting started.

I'm not sure if I can really take advantage of the FUSC anyway. I'm 50 miles from the closest Supercharger although two are supposedly planned for my area in 2024. I just thought it would be a great perk for when I do long distance traveling... oh say (< 1000 miles/year). This was just the first topic I started researching on the forum. I've got far more important questions (to me) to research.

It is my impression that the Model S being Tesla's first real mass-produced car had to be built far better than subsequent models (3, Y, etc). Kind of like when Lexus first came out... they made huge claims about everything lasting forever. I'm hoping a 50k mile 2016/17 S will have the staying power to last me 200-300k and still be rattle free as many YT report.

Thanks all!

Thank you. After reading the entire thread, I don't have near the incentive (or negativity) of some members about Tesla's policies on the subject. No other manufacturer could or would ever offer such a deal! I am a big Musk fanboy! No other human on this Earth has ever done more... positive (or at least disruptive to the status quo)... and I think he's only getting started.

I'm not sure if I can really take advantage of the FUSC anyway. I'm 50 miles from the closest Supercharger although two are supposedly planned for my area in 2024. I just thought it would be a great perk for when I do long distance traveling... oh say (< 1000 miles/year). This was just the first topic I started researching on the forum. I've got far more important questions (to me) to research.

It is my impression that the Model S being Tesla's first real mass-produced car had to be built far better than subsequent models (3, Y, etc). Kind of like when Lexus first came out... they made huge claims about everything lasting forever. I'm hoping a 50k mile 2016/17 S will have the staying power to last me 200-300k and still be rattle free as many YT report.

Thanks all!

FUSC sounds like a huge advantage, but if you’re like us, and use it only on road trips and such … it’s not nearly the perk it sounds like.

We’ve probably “saved” $3,000 or so because of FUSC over the last 4 years. But realistically, does that move the needle on an $80k car? No, not really.

It’s more of a feel-good than an actual gigantic savings.

FUSC sounds like a huge advantage, but if you’re like us, and use it only on road trips and such … it’s not nearly the perk it sounds like.

We’ve probably “saved” $3,000 or so because of FUSC over the last 4 years. But realistically, does that move the needle on an $80k car? No, not really.

It’s more of a feel-good than an actual gigantic savings.

That's a good point. However, I'm thinking more long term and I'm looking in the $20K-$40K range of car being 2016-April 2017 P100D. If we get the two Superchargers in our area like the map suggests, I may use them strictly... saving $2000/year compared to my current vehicle (at today's prices_. But... that's another IF that has to factored in. But... that just about pays for the tires I'll be going through. :D

That's a good point. However, I'm thinking more long term and I'm looking in the $20K-$40K range of car being 2016-April 2017 P100D. If we get the two Superchargers in our area like the map suggests, I may use them strictly... saving $2000/year compared to my current vehicle (at today's prices_. But... that's another IF that has to factored in. But... that just about pays for the tires I'll be going through. :D

I’ll be honest — it cost me about $800 this year for charging Model S. That’s for about 15,000 miles of driving.

At that pricing, I can’t be bothered to spend time sitting at a Supercharger when it could be charging in my driveway overnight.

Not having to go to the gas station is one of my favorite things about driving an EV. Excluding home charging to save ~$65/month just isn’t worth it in my case. My most precious commodity is time
- it’s the only one I can’t make more of!

Yes for new cars. For example, Tesla just had a campaign to transfer existing FUSC to a new S/X/Y by the end of 2023. Thus, the 8-year battery warranty would be 2031 and the new car would still show FUSC thanks to the campaign.
NONE of those "transferred" cars will have transferable free unlimited supercharging if they are sold to a subsequent owner. They are all SC05. This was the plan all along. They also have a limit on the warranty - while it might be 8 years, it is only for 150k miles.

Thanks all!

If you are looking for a deal and the free supercharging isn't as much of a concern anymore... I've got an excellent condition 2013 P85 Model S that I'm looking to sell. It's in the rare VERY dark green color (very pretty in sunlight but looks black otherwise) and a tan suede interior. 117k miles, but you'd never know it.

You aren't wrong about the build quality of the earlier cars, they were focused on making them right and they are tight and quiet and handle like a dream. There's a reason I own four classic Teslas from before 2017! Even taking this through a supercharger on a long trip, the average "fill up" is only going to be around $7 per stop anyway. For my usage, I DO use my Teslas for road trips, this one doesn't have the FUSC unfortunately which meant I really only used it for shorter trips. That's part of why I know so much about it - b/c I got burned by a dealer lying to me and didn't have a way (or the knowledge) to disprove their nonsense at the time. I'm looking for right in the middle of your budget range, which would leave you plenty of room for those sporty tires you want, as well as any other accessories. Message me if interested and I'll send pics. It's in CT with me right now, but I'd drive it to the moon tomorrow if I had to go there.

You aren't wrong about the build quality of the earlier cars, they were focused on making them right and they are tight and quiet and handle like a dream.
Good to hear. My only time I've been in a Tesla was one of the "Touchless Test Drives" in a new S. I was so blown away by the strait-line-performance and FSD I really didn't get back to reality to evaluate things like fit, finish and rattles. Many of what I've read and watched (YT) state the no rattles even after a couple hundred K. The biggest complaints are of tire and wind noise. If people can even hear those things... they just don't know how good they have it. ;)

It's in CT with me right now, but I'd drive it to the moon tomorrow if I had to go there.
Thank you for the kind offer, but I'm still in the delusional optimistic stage that I'll be able to get everything, exactly the way I want it. I'm in no rush and as those 2016-2017 get closer to the 8 year expiration, they seem to be getting both more plentiful and cheaper. With the changing car market and economy is also making those types of cars more readily available for a cash deal.

Last edited:
I’ll be honest — it cost me about $800 this year for charging Model S. That’s for about 15,000 miles of driving.

At that pricing, I can’t be bothered to spend time sitting at a Supercharger when it could be charging in my driveway overnight.

Not having to go to the gas station is one of my favorite things about driving an EV. Excluding home charging to save ~$65/month just isn’t worth it in my case. My most precious commodity is time
- it’s the only one I can’t make more of!

I understand, but I just have a different perspective...

I'm not comparing FUSC to having to pay for SC, I'm comparing paying back the purchase price with what I'd not be paying now. Where my current fill-ups cost $100++ and will only get higher in the decades to come that I expect drive the Tesla. And although, I also value my time, I expect if the two superchargers go in where I expect, I'll simply plug in and have date night with the wife and go to one of the nearby restaurants.

This thread has been excellent in giving me the background and knowledge to go armed for the car search... and to temper my expectations if I don't succeed.

I'll simply plug in and have date night with the wife and go to one of the nearby restaurants.

I'm with you but a small word of caution here ... Date night should take a heck of a lot longer than the Supercharging session. So just be prepared to leave your dinner for a couple minutes to disconnect and move the car.

Otherwise, I hear you; but the convenience of charging at home is tough to beat, even if it's got a small cost - at least small relative to gasoline costs!

I'm with you but a small word of caution here ... Date night should take a heck of a lot longer than the Supercharging session. So just be prepared to leave your dinner for a couple minutes to disconnect and move the car.

Otherwise, I hear you; but the convenience of charging at home is tough to beat, even if it's got a small cost - at least small relative to gasoline costs!

I hear you... I got the impression that these older cars didn't charge that fast... I was kind of expecting at least an hour. I hate to admit it, but I did have an early Leased Nissan Leaf.... and I'm glad it was a lease. I liked the EV aspect and charging at home, but 15% range loss in 32K was not acceptable. I now attribute that to the inability to shut off charge at 80%, 90%... etc. So, I'm quite used to the charge at home an agree, it'll be the norm. I expect to get a home unit at some point, but if the local Superchargers materialize, I'll take advantage of them IF they are as convenient. And if electric goes to 0.30/kWh when gas is $5/gallon, I'll be even more thankful of SC.

Heard... here in NC, US... the electric company charges a sur-charge for EV charging at home! Don't know what that number is yet... but I will.