Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 CPO but registered in 2017. Warranty question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Great forum and very valuable information and checklist while I get ready to pick Up my 2016 CPO next week. Thanks to all for keeping this group live. Can someone help me with a question on warranty. Car was manufactured on 3/2016 according to the sticker on the car. Upon checking car fax, the car was first registered on 03/2017. I am confused why it would take an year to register to a new owner as a lease. Second question, who would be able to answer the question on 8 year warranty whether it starts on 3/16 or 3/2017?

It depends.

If Tesla used the car as a loaner or demo vehicle, the warranty starts whenever they did that. If it truly sat somewhere for a year and wasn’t put into service until 2017, then it starts then. Only Tesla can tell you.

BF7B8DCF-CB4F-4031-B823-3E7FC892D712.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program over a year ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim. It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info. I am hoping they will be able to honor any cosmetic items. Will they be able to let me do a test drive?

Nope. It's not common for them to even let you see it prior to signing paperwork accepting delivery. You will likely have to battle and demand to at least see the car first. Most will simply sign paperwork and then take delivery so whatever issues it has are now theirs.

They will likely tell you to pound sand if you want them to make any cosmetic issues right. They will say that all cosmetic issues were clearly presented via photos and anything that wasn't will allow you to deny taking delivery... if you're lucky. They may try to hold your feet to the fire and either tell you they can't refund the deposit or that they can only apply it to another car... and the whole process starts again.

If they agree to anything make damn sure you get it in writing no matter how nice/trustworthy the person seems. Never ever take their word for anything and get everything in writing. I learned the hard way on my first one when Travis in Seattle made me lots of promises with only a few being in writing. I had to fight later on to get those things fixed and absolutely none of the items not in writing were fixed and Travis later denied all of it even though my wife and I both heard him say the exact same things.

Bottom line: Don't trust Tesla or it's representatives ever. Get everything in writing.

U will b lucky to see or drive before purchase. My Tesla rep would do neither when I arrived. I bailed, walked out. Bought from private owner.
You're probably better for it. We bought three used Model S through Tesla going back to when they did do the CPO program and our latest was a private party. That should tell you all you need to know. Not sure how I thought the 2nd or 3rd might get better based on the BS Elon was spouting but I fell for it. Never again.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
Ostrichsak overstates his case in my opinion. He (or she) has clearly had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean you will. I purchased a CPO / used car through Tesla (a 2015) in 2018. They sent me lots of photos before, but as is usual practice, you don't see the actual car until delivery. I wasn't anal about my inspection, but I noticed several cosmetic issues that were not included in the photos, and refused to sign the contract or pay for the car until they agreed to address and give me a due bill. It's important to note I wasn't expecting a brand new car - I just (for example) wasn't going to access a small dent in the middle of the hood that was not disclosed in the photos I received. The Rep agreed, provided the due bills, and the issues were addressed.

Bottom line - be reasonable, understanding that you are buying a used car, and (in my experience) they will be reasonable with you. The warranty coverage is worth a lot more than a cosmetic makeover, in my opinion.

Reactions: boshk
Ostrichsak overstates his case in my opinion. He (or she) has clearly had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean you will. I purchased a CPO / used car through Tesla (a 2015) in 2018. They sent me lots of photos before, but as is usual practice, you don't see the actual car until delivery. I wasn't anal about my inspection, but I noticed several cosmetic issues that were not included in the photos, and refused to sign the contract or pay for the car until they agreed to address and give me a due bill. It's important to note I wasn't expecting a brand new car - I just (for example) wasn't going to access a small dent in the middle of the hood that was not disclosed in the photos I received. The Rep agreed, provided the due bills, and the issues were addressed.

Bottom line - be reasonable, understanding that you are buying a used car, and (in my experience) they will be reasonable with you. The warranty coverage is worth a lot more than a cosmetic makeover, in my opinion.
How specifically have I overstated my case?

They sent me lots of photos before, but as is usual practice, you don't see the actual car until delivery. I wasn't anal about my inspection, but I noticed several cosmetic issues that were not included in the photos, and refused to sign the contract or pay for the car until they agreed to address and give me a due bill. It's important to note I wasn't expecting a brand new car - I just (for example) wasn't going to access a small dent in the middle of the hood that was not disclosed in the photos I received. The Rep agreed, provided the due bills, and the issues were addressed.

This....if you already know about the cosmetic issues that means they’ve sent you pics of them or disclosed them. That means it’s on you to fix them. The only time they’ll take care of them is if it wasn’t disclosed in the pics prior to purchase.

Thanks for all the feedback. The pictures they sent did not show any damage or dents to be specific. Many were not closeup so I am hoping nothing major. One of the tires had less tread, not sure if I can expect new tires all around.

That's really crazy that you guys in US usually can't see the car if it is at your local SC. I get that you can't see the car if its on the other side of the country.

Granted Hong Kong is tiny and there is only 1 SC here, I managed to put an order fee down on 2 Used 75Ds, went to inspect both, spent 30mins+ and did a checklist (from this forum) on both.
Some things I couldn't do, tire rotation, wheel alignment, check underside......but the rest such as door handles, fob, sunroof, software version, lights, air suspension, sound, seats etc

They even allowed me to test drive one but in the end I didn't, went for other car.

The cars in the US aren’t held at service centers. Tesla uses Mannheim lots to keep them secure. That’s why you can’t view the vehicle until you arrive.

when I arrived to pick up my CPO (yes ostrichsak I know. I know) my car was in the delivery area. I was able to take a quick peek.

if you take a nice stand you’re more likely to get a test drive. That being said if anything is mechanically wrong with the car Tesla will fix that.

you will get the car you see in the pic. The only time Tesla will change the tires out is if they aren’t street legal. It’s not uncommon for someone to sell off or keep better tires and drop some crap tires in their trades.

The cars in the US aren’t held at service centers. Tesla uses Mannheim lots to keep them secure. That’s why you can’t view the vehicle until you arrive.

when I arrived to pick up my CPO (yes ostrichsak I know. I know) my car was in the delivery area. I was able to take a quick peek.

if you take a nice stand you’re more likely to get a test drive. That being said if anything is mechanically wrong with the car Tesla will fix that.

you will get the car you see in the pic. The only time Tesla will change the tires out is if they aren’t street legal. It’s not uncommon for someone to sell off or keep better tires and drop some crap tires in their trades.
If you "know" why do you insist on using wrong terminology? You didn't buy a CPO so why say you did?

Maybe I'll start referring to my Model S as a Model 3 since more people know those now. /Sarcasm

If you "know" why do you insist on using wrong terminology? You didn't buy a CPO so why say you did?
Because the term "CPO" is arbitrary and meaningless. There's no mutually agreed upon definition of that term nor regulatory enforcement of any specific meaning. It means, quite literally, whatever the person or entity selling the car wants it to mean. You insisting on a rigid delineator in every single one of these threads doesn't magically create one.

Your insistence on blind copy/paste rage in every thread where this comes up serves no meaningful distinction nor adds any value to the discussion. There's absolutely nothing stopping Tesla from changing their current "used car" program to the "Tesla CPO 2.0 program" or any other arbitrary name they want to give it.

Reactions: Alysashley79
Because the term "CPO" is arbitrary and meaningless. There's no mutually agreed upon definition of that term nor regulatory enforcement of any specific meaning. It means, quite literally, whatever the person or entity selling the car wants it to mean. You insisting on a rigid delineator in every single one of these threads doesn't magically create one.

Your insistence on blind copy/paste rage in every thread where this comes up serves no meaningful distinction nor adds any value to the discussion. There's absolutely nothing stopping Tesla from changing their current "used car" program to the "Tesla CPO 2.0 program" or any other arbitrary name they want to give it.

Who's raging? Does it fit your narrative better if you picture me fuming with vitriol as I type? Could it be that I'm perfectly calm and just trying to avoid confusion for people who don't understand this topic as well? Nah, couldn't possibly be that because it would make your position much more difficult, wouldn't it?

If it's meaningless, why did Tesla go to so much effort to scrub every single mention of it from their website a year ago? It seems as though maybe you're among the few who thing the term means nothing.

Who's raging? Does it fit your narrative better if you picture me fuming with vitriol as I type? Could it be that I'm perfectly calm and just trying to avoid confusion for people who don't understand this topic as well? Nah, couldn't possibly be that because it would make your position much more difficult, wouldn't it?

If it's meaningless, why did Tesla go to so much effort to scrub every single mention of it from their website a year ago? It seems as though maybe you're among the few who thing the term means nothing.

Since your first rant was to me in use the term CPO. I use it because everyone then knows I’m speaking about buy a car from TESLA vs saying I bought a used car which is ambiguous leaving people wondering. Hmm. Was it used from Tesla. Used from a 3rd party. Etc.

We ALL use the term CPO not to confuse people about the fact that Tesla sells you a pristine car (which mine was but regardless) but because the aforementioned. My mom bought an actual CPO from Mercedes which she still spent twice as much as I did on my Tesla. And her car had more blemishes than mine which wasn’t technically a CPO. In “‘most” car dealerships the term CPO simply means the car itself runs fine (Toyota) we’ve fixed mechanical issues (Honda) I realize when you’re dealing with a $100k car some may feel they should get more. But regardless it’s still used.

I mean you no disrespect. You’ve been around about as long as I have.
Now back to regularly scheduled programming

Since your first rant was to me in use the term CPO. I use it because everyone then knows I’m speaking about buy a car from TESLA vs saying I bought a used car which is ambiguous leaving people wondering. Hmm. Was it used from Tesla. Used from a 3rd party. Etc.

We ALL use the term CPO not to confuse people about the fact that Tesla sells you a pristine car (which mine was but regardless) but because the aforementioned. My mom bought an actual CPO from Mercedes which she still spent twice as much as I did on my Tesla. And her car had more blemishes than mine which wasn’t technically a CPO. In “‘most” car dealerships the term CPO simply means the car itself runs fine (Toyota) we’ve fixed mechanical issues (Honda) I realize when you’re dealing with a $100k car some may feel they should get more. But regardless it’s still used.

I mean you no disrespect. You’ve been around about as long as I have.
Now back to regularly scheduled programming
You and I have discussed this before. It's not a difficult concept. Calling it a "Tesla Used Car" clears up any and all ambiguity and misleads nobody. I and several others use this phrase and everyone understands it 100%. It's only complicated if you make it complicated.

Like it or not, Tesla HAD a CPO program. They no longer do. Calling your used car a CPO only serves to confuse those who think it's a used car that was bought from Tesla when the CPO program still existed... which is inaccurate.

On more than one occasion now my copy/pasted comment has been met with surprise from someone newly researching used Teslas. Again, you and I know the difference but not everyone does. These are the exact people I'm trying to not further confuse the issue for by intentionally using improper terminology.

I mean, it's not even like you don't understand the difference and yet you still choose to call it the wrong thing. Put yourself in the shoes of those newly in the market for a used Tesla trying to navigate the confusing waters.... it wasn't that long ago.