Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S 85 vs other sports Sedans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, a huge thanks to this community for all the great information I have received.

I am considering getting a used 2016 S 85, and am comparing with other mid size spots sedans in the same price range (~$45k). My experience test driving all these vehicle:
- BMW and Merc (C43) are definitely quicker than Model S (my current 328i is faster than Model S 85 - 5.2 vs 5.4 sec)
- Driving dynamics, specially corners at fast speed is much better with BMW.
- Model S is hands down the most comfortable among these
- Sound system in BMW and Mercedes (Herman Kardon and Burmeister) are much much better than Model S sound system.

Would appreciate the opinion of others in this.

I would seriously consider looking at a D or even better a P85D or P90D. While you may be comparing price range, you aren't comparing apples to apples when it comes to the performance. My '15 P90D will outmaneuver most anything on the street and outrun them too (0-60 3.1 sec, no ludicrous). I am not sure about the stereo systems but I have been very happy with the upgraded version I have in my S. It goes to 11, you know ;-)

First of all, a huge thanks to this community for all the great information I have received.

I am considering getting a used 2016 S 85, and am comparing with other mid size spots sedans in the same price range (~$45k). My experience test driving all these vehicle:
- BMW and Merc (C43) are definitely quicker than Model S (my current 328i is faster than Model S 85 - 5.2 vs 5.4 sec)
- Driving dynamics, specially corners at fast speed is much better with BMW.
- Model S is hands down the most comfortable among these
- Sound system in BMW and Mercedes (Herman Kardon and Burmeister) are much much better than Model S sound system.

Would appreciate the opinion of others in this.

The 5.2 spec is underrated. I consistently get 5.0 on loaner S85's with my VBOX. Yes that's with the 1 foot rollout but all other published 0-60 times in the US for other cars also use the 1 foot rollout.

I think this is true for only 2017 and latest models. For 2015 and 2016 model S, I don't see any different in 0-60 time listed by Tesla website.

There WAS NO 2017 85D.

Try looking a little more carefully next time:

Model S | Tesla Motors

85.JPG

...but ACTUAL performance was 4.2 proven dozens of times by 85D owners in this forum with their VBOX and PBOXes. Search is your friend :rolleyes:

There WAS NO 2017 85D.
Search is your friend :rolleyes:
Thanks, all the 85D currently listed in the used website (2015/2016) are 0-60 in 5.4 sec.

ACTUAL performance was 4.2 proven dozens of times by 85D
I agree, and this is also true with BMWs and Mercs, driver makes a difference but that can't be the criteria for comparison. Official numbers are there for a reason.

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 10.38.46 AM.png

Thanks, all the 85D currently listed in the used website (2015/2016) are 0-60 in 5.4 sec.

I agree, and this is also true with BMWs and Mercs, driver makes a difference but that can't be the criteria for comparison. Official numbers are there for a reason.

View attachment 350612

That's the S85 spec. Someone at Tesla screwed up or they did it intentionally to lead you to a higher spec new car.

Even the 5.4 seconds on the S85 was underrated as it's really 5.0 seconds.

An ICE car requires a lot more skill even with launch control and results are inconsistent. A professional driver will often have to do multiple launches to get the actual speced 0-60 time. My grandmother can do 0-60 in my P85DL in 2.85 seconds on the first try:p

The 85D *used* to be published at 5.2 originally, but in April of 2015, it got a software update that decreased the published time from 5.2 to 4.4:

Official: 85D now get 4.4 sec 0-60 mph accelaration | Tesla

The celebrations in this and the other forum were like a block party that week as everyone's existing 85Ds became as fast as P85s.
Thank you! This is super exciting. I am assuming this update only happened to both 2015 and 2016 85D. If single motor doesn't have it, it makes sense to go for dual motor.

Thank you! This is super exciting. I am assuming this update only happened to both 2015 and 2016 85D. If single motor doesn't have it, it makes sense to go for dual motor.

All 85Ds from all years they were available got the update. I believe that's 2014, 15, and 16.

The rear wheel drive S85 didn't get any updates to improve acceleration.

That said the S85 and P85 are the same car. The only difference is software. Some have rooted their cars and figure out how to update the software to turn S85s into P85s.

All 85Ds from all years they were available got the update. I believe that's 2014, 15, and 16.

The rear wheel drive S85 didn't get any updates to improve acceleration.

That said the S85 and P85 are the same car. The only difference is software. Some have rooted their cars and figure out how to update the software to turn S85s into P85s.
Awesome, 2015 85D will work then. How do you feel about the Smart Air Suspension upgrade?

I don't have air suspension in mine. Thought I might want it because someone suggested it might be good for my steep driveway, but I guess my driveway is not too steep.

My "next gen" seats are VERY comfy for me (not everyone loves them). I really love their shape. I wish they weren't leather (I'm vegan) but used leather is better than new leather. Here's a good video that goes over variations on the seats: Watch Tesla Model S Seats Evolve Over Time