Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S 85D vs 2020 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to get people's opinions.

If the choice is between a 2016 Model S or a 2020 Model 3, is the Model 3 the obvious choice?

I'm actually asking as my cousin wants the Model S, but for the same price he can get a 4 year younger model 3.

Just wanted to hesr the general feedback from people in the know.

Big thanks

This all depends on your cousin's wants. Yes, the Model 3 is 4 years newer, with obvious tech advantages, but the S and the 3 are totally different cars. Model S more of a touring sedan, utility of hatchback, softer ride, and larger overall vehicle. The Model 3 more of a sport sedan, harsher ride, but more nimble handling, and smaller overall which footprint which some prefer. You also have the differences of Model 3 having single center display while Model S has the additional, some would say more traditional, driver display in dash ahead of the driver.

Neither is right or wrong, but is a matter of personal preference.

Just wanted to get people's opinions.

If the choice is between a 2016 Model S or a 2020 Model 3, is the Model 3 the obvious choice?

I'm actually asking as my cousin wants the Model S, but for the same price he can get a 4 year younger model 3.

Just wanted to hesr the general feedback from people in the know.

Big thanks
The S is better at longer distances in term of comfort and space, but falls short on charging speed, especially with the 85 battery. Would aim for a refresh model S, 90D or 100D. If the stretch is too much, then 3 long range. Parts seem to be as well more expensive and more complex on the S.

Yeah, I'm a bit torn. The charging speed is definitely not great on my 15' 85D. I only briefly sat in both models before buying my S and didn't think the differences were as much as I was expecting.
That said, I use it for Uber where people have only been in a Model 3 and just about everyone goes on and on about how much nicer my car is and they think it's some brand new model... Some say it's the first Tesla they've actually liked...

I feel like I'm gonna be sticking with the S. But I'm definitely looking for more range/charging speed...

I feel there are really three difference dimensions to the buying decision that are involved.

First is the type of vehicle that best fits a persons needs/wants. That's largely what I referenced in my earlier post about differences between the S and 3 relative to ride, driving dynamics, size, etc. Those factors all apply even when comparing vehicles of the exact same year and tech level.

The second is year/tech level. This gets to considerations of how much warranty coverage applies, the comments that have now been included around differences in charging rate, as well as considerations like various AP / FSD levels and the long list of threads on HW2 vs HW3 vs HW4, etc. It's easy on this dimension to always feel that newer is obviously better than older until you have to factor in ...

What's your available budget and what are you willing to spend. This is one that's not been spoken of at all in this thread, but is a reality for most consumers. While I could easily afford to go buy a brand new MS Plaid, I personally do not see the benefits for me justify the cost versus continuing to drive my 7-year old mid-2016 MS90D. Not to say I've never pondered it, and there are still days where my "wants" side of my brain says just do it, the more fiscally prudent side says not now.

So anytime I see one of these threads that start of with "I have this choice between these two different vehicles, what do people this is the right choice" I have to come back to how do you as the one making the purchasing decision evaluate these three dimensions. Ultimate there is not a right or wrong answer, but it's all a matter of person choice and preference.

Enjoy your various vehicles (toys?). I have about another 9 weeks before I'll be able to travel the 13 time zones to return to my MS and get to go enjoy it again.