Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
an in store tesla employee just told me that the model s changes will happen this coming tuesday. didn't know (or couldn't say) what those "changes" were, but i'm hoping that tuesday is correct. i ordered a model s just a couple weeks back and was told it'd be a late april/early may delivery by the store manager, but now i'm seeing that my account says "may/early june" delivery, so i'm really hoping that delay is due to some new standard upgrades. probably wishful thinking.

Yep I'm hearing Monday but Tuesday is possible. Basically by the end of the week we'll know more.

We know that more paint choices are coming, since they just invested significantly in a new paint shack.
We know that a 100D option is coming.
We know that there is a new wiper arm design already that is supposed to fix the top 1/3 of the windshield smearing at speed. My understanding is that this is retrofittable for those who ask.

Don't care about ventilated seats, nor about a new center console. The openness of the latter has grown on me, and the annoyance of the ergonomically-messed up placement of the console relative to my and my passenger's elbows has faded to white noise. For long trips, a set of wire mesh trays or a small other container works nicely in the yacht floor area to contain the various accessories with which one might travel.

No need for sheet metal changes as above. In fact, I would prefer that they retain the look for the life of the Model S. With perhaps a body paint-matched nose cone.

I'd be particularly appreciative of a headlight retrofit that didn't require a $1000 replacement of the entire assembly when the bulb fails.

Doug, I'm really curious about your strategy on buying used and CPO Model S's. I believe I've seen that you've owned 4 or so Model S variants buying them and then selling them in relatively shorte periods. I'm curious if you buy them to enjoy having something new and then sell it for a small profit, loss or break even or are you taking advantage of good prices and then selling them for a profit (flipping Teslas) for fun AND profit I know in CA the taxes and registration fees would make this impossible without a dealer's license but Oregon is different (no sales tax right?) so maybe it's viable either way.

Anyway, I'm curious about how this works but also curious about the differences you've personally experienced from owning so many iterations of the model s along the way: features. Reliability, quality, battery, motor and door issues. Most people have one or two data points, I think you have at least 4. With a pending flood of CPOs coming (conjecture) I'd like to approach a buying decision with as much real world data from owners versus assumptions from non owners.

I do not buy them to flip them, I buy them for myself and then off load them when I am bored with them. I ave bought and sold 7 since 2013 and on most I have made a profit. Only one I broke even, the dealer that bough it from me lost around $5K. The key is to sell before they make changes to the car, because people want whats new, especially for the price. but remember this was over the last 3 years when Tesla's where hard to come by....so I feel my days of making a profit are over as there are so many used Tesla's for sale.

Some will not agree with this but I personally believe when buying a car like a Tesla you have to get mainstream options for resale value. I have only bought or ordered cars with options I know people want for a quick sale. The key to buying used is getting it as cheap as you can, obviously.

You will get the best deal from Tesla Direct right when they buy wholesale from Tesla, if you push you can get a car for a few hundred over what they paid for it which is wholesale.

• Helpful
Reactions: Wshowell
Here's the model s alpha prototype (food for thought):

image.jpeg

I do not buy them to flip them, I buy them for myself and then off load them when I am bored with them. I ave bought and sold 7 since 2013 and on most I have made a profit. Only one I broke even, the dealer that bough it from me lost around $5K. The key is to sell before they make changes to the car, because people want whats new, especially for the price. but remember this was over the last 3 years when Tesla's where hard to come by....so I feel my days of making a profit are over as there are so many used Tesla's for sale.

Some will not agree with this but I personally believe when buying a car like a Tesla you have to get mainstream options for resale value. I have only bought or ordered cars with options I know people want for a quick sale. The key to buying used is getting it as cheap as you can, obviously.

You will get the best deal from Tesla Direct right when they buy wholesale from Tesla, if you push you can get a car for a few hundred over what they paid for it which is wholesale.

I do the same with houses but a different strategy. I buy the ones where the former owners and tenants took sledge hammers to the walls,,toilets and appliances and the bank doesn't want to invest a penny to sell them so they are nasty when I get to see them. No bank will loan on it and it becomes a costly file sitting on a bankers desk for month and month that they just want to go away. I pay cash, bring in a drywall guy, electrician, plumber, painter and carpet/tile guys then camp out for 3-4 weeks working around the clock to paint, repair and replace or upgrade all the appliances and fixtures. I then park a qualified tenant in them with a 13-18% ROI and self manage the house. It's a great early retirement plan but sadly, it's kept me from buying me my Tesla. After a dozen of these deals I'm now gearing up to buy myself something I can enjoy. I do not enjoy the houses but I do enjoy the monthly income. So, how does one buy wholesale from Tesla? I know how to buy wholesale from HUD, BAC, WFC and FNMA . Please share with us how to buy from TSLA wholesale. That's where I want to be with a depreciating asset. Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: MrBoylan
However, if they increase prices, they will probably get fewer sales. The demand is so intense when they temporally lowered prices last year by $2000 sales went way up. Ultimately more sales, even as a little smaller profit margin could bring in more profits.

Saw a new model s today (as well as a white model X)at the century city mall Showroom that had the new console. I'm sorry to report that there are no rear cup holders or USB plugs included. BTW, the Model X perforated seats are really comfortable! I really hope they're part of the upgrade.

Saw a new model s today (as well as a white model X)at the century city mall Showroom that had the new console. I'm sorry to report that there are no rear cup holders or USB plugs included. BTW, the Model X perforated seats are really comfortable! I really hope they're part of the upgrade.
Man, that is a real bummer. Why on Earth would they make a new center console for the S around the same time as the X and not include the back seat cup holders and the USB ports? I guess that means any of the new upgrades are up in the air when it comes to the S.