Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They won't do any new AP 2.0 hardware retrofits (if it involves extensive wiring/new mirrors, front mounted camera, new grill, etc.) - quote me.

Also, they told me no on the folding mirrors at two service centers. When did you get it done?

I also had a retrofit to folding mirrors on my 2013 85. Since it was a later build (October) I had the wiring harness for the new mirrors, so the labor charged was low. The SC originally quoted me a much higher retrofit cost assuming they had to replace the wiring harness also. Perhaps your SC's just assumed you wouldn't have opted for that extra cost.

There is another one with 8.5 ft cable for only $500. This is starting get better and better
I am impressed that Tesla has lowered the HPWC price so much in the past two years, and improved the design. I like the way the connector now hooks into the body of the unit.

Two and a half years ago, I think I paid $1,000 for my HPWC. Now you can buy one, with a slightly shorter cable, for half that. Okay, so it maxes out at 72A instead of 80A. I highly recommend that new S and X owners purchase an HPWC, much nicer way to charge than from a NEMA 14-50, and faster as well.

The auto liftgate has been removed from the standard features list just now. So that puts that debate to rest.
From where I am sitting in California, that change to the S configuration page happened sometime in the past hour or so. It's good that Tesla clarified that. It confused me.

I really think Tesla watches TMC and tweaks the website based on posts here.

• Love
Reactions: gsxdsm
30 upgrades a week, for real? I recall there was some quote to this effect (maybe from Elon??). But I think it depends what constitutes an 'upgrade', as I doubt the typical (or even typical TMC) owner could appreciate, or even notice, these 'upgrades'.
I thought it was 20 per week. Most of them are things like changes to fasteners or a slight change to a cable bundle to improve reliability.

So am I the first to notice that they really dumbed down the rear bumper?

Since they went to the trouble of redesigning the bumper, it's a shame they didn't also design in the option for an accessory hitch, considering even the 3 will have one.

(Yes, I know there are aftermarket options, but I don't like the idea of taking a hacksaw to a $100k car.)

• Disagree
Reactions: TSLAopt
What is difference between automated liftgate and power lift gate. when I read automated in standard features I thought the power one was included now

Apologies if this has already been addressed (I'm trying to catch up on today's posts) but I would assume that:

Automated Liftgate simply means the latch is automated. You can unlatch it from the touch screen, from the key remote, from the button on the back.

Power Liftgate is, well, powered up and down.

Mike

I am impressed that Tesla has lowered the HPWC price so much in the past two years, and improved the design. I like the way the connector now hooks into the body of the unit.

Two and a half years ago, I think I paid $1,000 for my HPWC. Now you can buy one, with a slightly shorter cable, for half that. Okay, so it maxes out at 72A instead of 80A.

The specs that were posted up thread for the new HPWC still showed dip switch settings allowing 80 amp charging. I'm sure the new HPWC will still allow 80 amp charging, not just because of the post in this thread, but because there are a boatload of cars on the road that have dual 40 amp chargers in them, and can this charge at 80 amps. So for quite some time into the future, Tesla is going to need to sell 80 amp capable HPWCs.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Also, what's with the announcement of "new faster charging"?

Tesla updates Model S with new front end, air filtration system, and faster charging
Tesla updates Model S with new front end, air filtration system, and faster charging

My "classic" Model S charges at 80 amps. The most a new one will charge at (excluding SC and Chademo) is 72 amps. That's slower -- not faster. I know that 48 amps is now standard as opposed to 40 amps but anyone interested in "faster charging" will get the upgrade, and now it's slower -- not faster.

Welcome to Tesla marketing, Canuck!

This transgression was not all that bad, as it's really not too hard for someone not particularly technically inclined to recognize the difference you just highlighted. On the other hand, when they start saying things like 691 motor horsepower, and really mean things like 463 horsepower...well, that's a different story all together!

Same marketing department.

I just really hope Tesla Motors lowers the price of the second onboard charger. Seeing that the new Model S's are going to be a different setup it means the old onboard chargers aren't going to move out of inventory being installed into vehicles. I have a 100amp HPWC at home but only the single charger in my car and have never needed more. For 2,000$ I won't be upgrading however if it was 1,000$ for the second charger (even 1,500$ maybe) I would upgrade in a heart beat.

Two and a half years ago, I think I paid $1,000 for my HPWC. Now you can buy one, with a slightly shorter cable, for half that. Okay, so it maxes out at 72A instead of 80A. I highly recommend that new S and X owners purchase an HPWC, much nicer way to charge than from a NEMA 14-50, and faster as well.

Reactions: Buzzz