Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an owner of a 2013 model S I can assure you my perspective is different. It is 70% wanting Autopilot yes. but I also really, really hated the open fish mouth. It is the one thing that I always thought was botched in the design and I cannot unsee it. This change to me is them changing the one really ugly thing that bugged me into a beautiful thing.

I also skip generations in iPhones and I seem to be considering trading in my S. As soon as a 100kWh is available I am decided.

So the refresh IS a big deal in the sense that it will get a lot of model S buyers off the fence.

Same perspective here. The Model S nosecone in my opinion was a design miss. I have always thought the S looked great from 3 sides, and was willing to overlook the front. However, when the X came out without the nosecone and rumors swirled that the S would get something similar, I felt compelled to stay on the fence while it sorted out. I had my delivery pushed all the way out to almost July and even though my DS called to see if I'd want to move it up and had "nothing to share" on any possible changes, I held firm. I am glad I did. Many feel differently.

I love that Tesla integrates changes into the car over time and makes it better, but it also makes it harder to time a purchase if you want "the latest" and not be holding "yesterday's car" right after delivery. For me, pulling the trigger right now right after a change with some substance feels perfect. There will always be more changes. Maybe bigger battery, ventilated seats, upgraded autopilot hardware, who knows. For me, the updates that are "game-changers" were the autopilot, then dual motors, and now the cosmetic change. Not all agree with me, as many have stated. I would have bought a Model S with the old front end if it were certain that it wouldn't change for a few years, but had I taken delivery of the a car with the older nose and then this happened days to weeks later, it would have been infuriating for me. Not Tesla's fault, mind you, but I would have wished I had waited.

My philosophy going forward is to probably lease it because you know it'll be light years different in 3 years, and only buy right after a "major" update (whatever that means to you). One thing is clear. Tesla has shown time and again with the rollout of AP, D models, cosmetic changes, etc., that they will not let concerns over the resale value of cars already on the road (even those just delivered) get in the way of their progress. In a way, that's to be commended. That said, if you are an early-adopter type, you'd be smart to camp out on here and keep abreast of the rumor mill as to what's coming. Autopilot, dual motor, and this design refresh were all scooped ahead of time here on TMC. The info here saved me from having one of the last non-autopilot cars during that transition, and paying attention here allowed me to time this purchase in a way that makes me thrilled to be awaiting my car's arrival rather than worried that something is "just about to drop". Who knows how long this iteration will be the "latest", but it will be for a little while and that's part of the fun, again for me.

A friend and have pretty much been waiting since last September when the X was unveiled for this week's S refresh. We both placed orders last Saturday and are waiting for our orders to be confirmed this coming Saturday.

Currently we are both set for May delivery but I'm considering delaying my delivery for a few months as I was really hoping for a larger battery. Is anyone else considering a delayed delivery? Is it possible to change delivery dates via My Tesla or the Design Studio or is that something I would need to talk to an advisor about?

I'm not in any rush but would like to have it before next winter.
You can login to my tesla and change delivery.

The new face is worse. But I get why they had to change it. Rich people can't drive a car design that looks like it could be 6 years old. What would the neighbors think?
Most car companies "refresh" their models every 3 or 4 years. Tesla took almost 4 years to change the front bumper design.

It has nothing to do with "rich people" wanting something new. In fact the S front end was the most criticized design element of the car. Tesla listens.

I can't say if I like new diffuser..

914fc74d9b0eac0b753de0fea9ac4e40.jpg
There is no new diffuser... there is NO diffuser at all!

Does anybody else think Tesla has a mistake in their online design studio for the look of the new "Dark Ash" trim? I saw comments that the grain was much less noticeable in person so I went to a store yesterday (and incidentally was told the new Model S would not be displayed until the end of the month).

The samples on the wall were indeed much more subtle...almost looking like the piano black with hair-line dark grains as others described. If you look at the Model X ordering system, the grain is also much more subdued (you can see it most visibly on the door panel). I really dislike the look in the Model S ordering system, but don't mind the more subtle grains. I have a pending order and am trying to figure out if I need to upgrade to get something I'll be satisfied with.

Does anybody else think Tesla has a mistake in their online design studio for the look of the new "Dark Ash" trim? I saw comments that the grain was much less noticeable in person so I went to a store yesterday (and incidentally was told the new Model S would not be displayed until the end of the month).

The samples on the wall were indeed much more subtle...almost looking like the piano black with hair-line dark grains as others described. If you look at the Model X ordering system, the grain is also much more subdued (you can see it most visibly on the door panel). I really dislike the look in the Model S ordering system, but don't mind the more subtle grains. I have a pending order and am trying to figure out if I need to upgrade to get something I'll be satisfied with.

My DS told me the new S Dark Ash should be the same as on the current X. So if you find photos of that, it's a good representation.

I Agree. Always go with the actual samples in the SC as opposed to the representations in the Design Studio.