Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 to 2020 changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than the obvious MCU and drivetrain/battery changes, what else has been changed in 4 years on the Model X? I know there has been a few changes such as all X's now coming with tow package and maybe heated steering wheel, but I think there might have been ventilated seats in there as well. Any other small or big changes like that? What about design differences?

Other than the obvious MCU and drivetrain/battery changes, what else has been changed in 4 years on the Model X? I know there has been a few changes such as all X's now coming with tow package and maybe heated steering wheel, but I think there might have been ventilated seats in there as well. Any other small or big changes like that? What about design differences?
This spreadsheet might answer some of your questions. Tesla Car Specs

No more active rear spoiler (2016 only)
Front Seats changed in 2020
7 seaters -2017 second row are more of a bench seat vs. captain chairs
Ap2 in the end of 2016
2016 came with cooling seats option
2019 comes with grey trims vs Silver
2019 full leather dash board vs alcantara
That is from top of my head.

• Helpful
Reactions: HyperionMark
No more active rear spoiler (2016 only)
Front Seats changed in 2020
7 seaters -2017 second row are more of a bench seat vs. captain chairs
Ap2 in the end of 2016
2016 came with cooling seats option
2019 comes with grey trims vs Silver
2019 full leather dash board vs alcantara
That is from top of my head.

Synthetic leather vs synthetic alcantara.

Prior to 2017, Tesla was still using real leather before becoming vegan friendly. It was actually a separate option package - white seats were always synthetic.

From 2016-mid 2017:
Wood options were selectable in 2016. So you had varying combinations.
Premium audio.
Bio Filter

Those were some of the optioned specs. For the "hidden" or more subtle changes...

The 3rd row seats had a different armrest space in the 2016's vs the 2017's. In 2016 it was a flat padded area. In 2017 it was changed to be open.

The trunk shape was actually different with the 12v adapter being located on the side vs the back in 2016 vs 2017.

75D's went from 0-60 in 6.0s to 0-60 in 4.7s. (unless uncorked) in mid 2017.

2018 or 19 they changed the FWD/Wheel arch area of the frame. Small and probably unnoticeable but it's a flat space instead of a rounded space to prevent rubbing that a lot of people had issues with.

That change also seems to have increased the panel gap between the FWD and the rear glass. It makes the car (probably unnoticeable to most) more unsightly but allows more tolerance in the doors and prevents customer complaints and also probably helps with rubbing.

2020 got new seats

• Helpful
Seat backs went from glossy to matte.
FWD button design change
New FWDs have interior ultrasonic sensors to prevent accidental closures
New cars do not have the "Model X" logo near the hinge of FWDs
Front doors latch mechanisms were updated

• Helpful