Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016's getting pushed back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read this a LOT in other delivery threads. I've also heard of a lot of people getting their cars a month early (one of my neighbors did in November).

Also, about US orders being pushed back, if you look in the Oct/Nov/Dec 2015 tab of the Model S Order & Delivery spreadsheet and you'll see there are US orders there that are being produced as well (people just didn't put their info on the right tab). Overall, it looks like this week VIN's 122,000 to 123,000 are mostly rolling into production. Based upon the production counts they released for 4th quarter 2015, they produce roughly 1,300 model S's a week (17,192 model S's produced in 4th qtr 2015). So take your VIN #, subtract 122,000 from it, and divide by 1,000 to figure out how many weeks until yours should hit production, if not earlier than that. As of right now, the highest VIN # to be recorded as "in production" on the spreadsheet is 123,178. The only cars going into production this week with VIN's below 122,000 are cars that were not ordered for "earliest delivery".

My vin is 123860 and it says February/March delivery. Based on the math it should be within 2 weeks :(

Considering taxes on selling something for $100,000, not much to offset it. Anyway, getting serious, realizing $10,000 tax incentive for inventory, plus a year gas savings in the $4,000 range, is $14K of a potential 60% tax bill, bringing it down to a 46% tax bill. So, what would $54,000 get me on inventory? Nothing. But even if I decided to roll into a payment plan to FTB&IRS from employment income, I'd be looking at a 90D. Why bother with RWD? And to kill time I need to sleep sitting getting fat instead at Supercharger restaurants? Not good. So prefer 90D. Don't need Performace: I'm already one of the fastest drivers --- I don't need more engine than 300HP ICE equivalent. All the Performace models are over $100K. So got on Hank's site --- awesome. Plug in my #, and bam! Every inventory 90D comes in color DULL. We're talking mind-killing death-reminding life-sucking grey, so much Gray they have multiple names for gray. It's sickening.

So, not only do you get what you pay for, but it's still wildly expensive. I'm strongly considering holding out for a Chevy Bolt or something else. But by then, my window of opportunity for that $40,000 disappears. And I know if I put it in a bank it will be stolen and rationalized to dust in months, so I'd rather not. The only thing I can think of is getting a massive solar array on a relative's house and getting the ITC. Hmmm

I placed my order on Jan 5 & immediately confirmed the order rather than wait until it's automatically confirmed. It was "Late February" delivery but no updates or VIN since 3 days ago. I hope it does not push back too far since I already sold my 911; I may order a Rear Console so I have something to play with...:crying:

These are more fun...
tesla matchbox.JPG

It's a good sign for the company health when the orders are pushed back. Means the production pipeline is fully sold through.

Easy for anyone to say that has their car! :)

- - - Updated - - -

So got on Hank's site --- awesome. Plug in my #, and bam! Every inventory 90D comes in color DULL. We're talking mind-killing death-reminding life-sucking grey, so much Gray they have multiple names for gray. It's sickening.

Could not agree with you more here ^. Black, light black, lighter black, silvery black, and white. Why only the red and blue COLORS? Having said all of that, I ordered a blue one . . .

Considering taxes on selling something for $100,000, not much to offset it. Anyway, getting serious, realizing $10,000 tax incentive for inventory, plus a year gas savings in the $4,000 range, is $14K of a potential 60% tax bill, bringing it down to a 46% tax bill. So, what would $54,000 get me on inventory?

I'm having real trouble following this logic here. What are you selling? What tax bill? Are you talking about selling stock at a gain in order to buy a Model S? I'm not following here.

Nothing. But even if I decided to roll into a payment plan to FTB&IRS from employment income, I'd be looking at a 90D. Why bother with RWD? And to kill time I need to sleep sitting getting fat instead at Supercharger restaurants? Not good. So prefer 90D. Don't need Performace: I'm already one of the fastest drivers --- I don't need more engine than 300HP ICE equivalent. All the Performace models are over $100K. So got on Hank's site --- awesome. Plug in my #, and bam! Every inventory 90D comes in color DULL. We're talking mind-killing death-reminding life-sucking grey, so much Gray they have multiple names for gray. It's sickening.

So, not only do you get what you pay for, but it's still wildly expensive. I'm strongly considering holding out for a Chevy Bolt or something else. But by then, my window of opportunity for that $40,000 disappears. And I know if I put it in a bank it will be stolen and rationalized to dust in months, so I'd rather not. The only thing I can think of is getting a massive solar array on a relative's house and getting the ITC. Hmmm

uh... ok?

I talked to my DES in Atlanta today to go over a few open issues/questions & he told me that my car will be ready to leave the factory on Feb 15! This means it will be out the door & ready to be transported via truck or rail to the SC in Decatur which may take 20 days. My updated delivery date via MyTesla was Feb then moved to March/Early April. I even ordered the Front Console toady so the SC has it & ready for installation when the car shows up for prep. Now--do I plan on picking it up @ the SC or wait for them to deliver it to me in South Carolina...Meanwhile, I try not to drool on my new silicone key fob cover!

IMG_0653.JPG

Last edited:
Us folks in Europe had to wait weeks at the end of 2015 while the deliver-them-quick-to please-the-shareholders US orders were fulfilled. Now it's our turn.

Yup, I have seen this proclivity for quite a few Quarters.... Loads of APAC and EURO orders being built early in the Quarter to get them on their way to the final destination.
Then a sort of switch to US and Canadian orders from the middle to end of the quarter with emphasis on west coast delivieries.

BTW I like the FOB pic....

Tomorrow I will be having some Summer 19" tires mounted & balanced on 19" TSportline Cyclones. Picked up the TPMS sensors from my local Service Center.
The tires will be the sticky Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-04's
I will be ready to put these on the S when the time is right.

BTW, TSportline really does pack their wheels very well. Teflon trim rings on the edges of the rims and kind of tire hair net and thin foam padding.
Substantial and reusable shipping box with hand holds too.

I'm not sure Tesla knows what they are doing. It's like they think since we selected January for delivery back when we ordered in October means they can build our cars "whenever" they get around to it.

Perfect case in point. How does a car ordered mid December get built before a car ordered in October with both January build times? It appears that overseas orders, model X etc, push those of us that ordered in October to the end of the line and it's starting to piss me off.

I considered ordering in October for February, but waited until December and ordered for as soon as possible.
The only differences in our cars are the colors and I have air suspension and the 19" cyclone wheels.

My car is built and being delivered next Tuesday. If I were in your shoes I would be livid. I ordered after you got your VIN.

I considered ordering in October for February, but waited until December and ordered for as soon as possible.
The only differences in our cars are the colors and I have air suspension and the 19" cyclone wheels.

My car is built and being delivered next Tuesday. If I were in your shoes I would be livid. I ordered after you got your VIN.

In casually browsing the order spreadsheet, it seems like a lot of the "scheduled" orders (versus earliest possible delivery) are at the tail end or after the timeframe picked by the purchaser. I think the problem is they have trouble putting those orders in line with the the current production in a reliable and predictable manner to get them delivered on-time. I personally don't understand why people would pick a delivery date versus "earliest" anyways, seeing how earliest is usually 6 to 8 weeks out which is plenty of time to get your home charging setup, sell your existing car, etc.

The delays could be due to a few things. They did shut down the factory for a week+ earlier this month for maintenance and some minor retooling. Depending on how that went, that could cause delays. To make the production goals for Q4 15, they had to burn up and parts reserves they had. They may be restocking now. Additionally the factory in the Netherlands which builds cars with parts from the US probably also used up all its parts fulfilling orders for Denmark which had a big tax incentive go away at the end of the year. The Netherlands factory needs body parts to build more cars and the US factory is probably cranking out parts sets to send to Europe.

Additionally I have seen complaints from people who have Model Ss in body shops awaiting repairs and parts have been very slow in coming. That too was probably due to the focus on producing as many cars as possible by Dec 31. They need to make replacement parts for cars in body shops.

I figured last month that there were going to be delays at the beginning of this year because they were throwing their whole supply chain out of whack to get as many cars as possible built. The possible upside to the delays is that the cars that are built during this period might have a little better quality because with less pressure to get cars out the door ASAP, the workers can spend a little more time catching defects.

I also noted they didn't renew the incentive program at the beginning of this month which tells me they knew production in January was going to suck and they didn't want to keep filling the pipeline with more cars until they can catch up.

Europe (NL) here;
Order placed on december 10th
Confirmed at december 17th
VIN assigned at december 22nd (1230xx)
Built started today january 20th
Delivery estimated half march

Transport for the EU builds is 6 to 8 weeks. 3/4 for west to east coast and another 3/4 for NY port -> Tilburg delivery plant.

Last edited:
I'm going to pick up my car at the factory to avoid the long delivery time to South Carolina, if I still can. My delivery estimate keeps appearing then disappearing from My Tesla, and it seems there a coding problem with the delivery options selection. I've yet to hear from a live person at Tesla, but my order was just auto-confirmed Sunday night, so I expect it will be a week or two before anyone gets around to my order.

Hi--which SC will be delivering your car if you don't pick it up? Decatur, GA?

I'm going to pick up my car at the factory to avoid the long delivery time to South Carolina, if I still can. My delivery estimate keeps appearing then disappearing from My Tesla, and it seems there a coding problem with the delivery options selection. I've yet to hear from a live person at Tesla, but my order was just auto-confirmed Sunday night, so I expect it will be a week or two before anyone gets around to my order.

Other people have reported that Tesla must charge you CA sales tax for all factory pickups, regardless of state of the buyer/destination. You should check to make sure you do or do not have to pay sales tax twice.

Hi--if he has to pay CA sales tax @ the factory, he brings the bill of sale to the DMV when he registers the car in South Carolina & gets a credit for the difference between CA & SC. I don't think we really pay a "sales tax" on cars here in SC (flat $300 fee) but they hit you big time for the plates & the car's value is in your property tax. YMMV...

Other people have reported that Tesla must charge you CA sales tax for all factory pickups, regardless of state of the buyer/destination. You should check to make sure you do or do not have to pay sales tax twice.

Hi--if he has to pay CA sales tax @ the factory, he brings the bill of sale to the DMV when he registers the car in South Carolina & gets a credit for the difference between CA & SC. I don't think we really pay a "sales tax" on cars here in SC (flat $300 fee) but they hit you big time for the plates & the car's value is in your property tax. YMMV...

Not all states operate that way.