Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.11 13d4a04

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This alone is reason enough to pick Tesla over their competitors.

Because the wipers have a door that opens automatically? That's reason enough by itself to choose Tesla over the competition? I can think of a long list of reasons why I prefer Tesla, but I gotta say that a windshield wiper door is not on that list. Am I missing something? :confused:

Or maybe you meant that they do over-the-air firmware upgrades. As cars become more computerized, all car makers are going to have to start doing some sort of firmware upgrades pretty soon.

• Disagree
Reactions: davedavedave
I don't understand why the wiper/door thing was a problem again? It was a know problem with the S wipers and was fixed long ago. Do they not learn from past mistakes or have short term memory? that is my concern. OTA software updates are great but there are many things that just should not need to be fixed and really need simple testing. The S had a ton of these things, seemed like no one really tried out the car before they started selling them.

Because the wipers have a door that opens automatically? That's reason enough by itself to choose Tesla over the competition? I can think of a long list of reasons why I prefer Tesla, but I gotta say that a windshield wiper door is not on that list. Am I missing something? :confused:

Or maybe you meant that they do over-the-air firmware upgrades. As cars become more computerized, all car makers are going to have to start doing some sort of firmware upgrades pretty soon.
Many manufacturers do firmware upgrades—just not OTA. That is the key.

Not only the fact that it's over the air updates, but the fact that the CEO saw somebody with a problem and fixed it within a week. With over 15 releases Apple has yet to fix their podcast app from crashing nearly every time I download a new episode while playing over 4g. And this is the richest company in the world that makes hundreds of millions of this units every year and has over a billion units out right now in circulation. Not to compare apple to Tesla by any means

Reactions: davedavedave
I don't understand why the wiper/door thing was a problem again? It was a know problem with the S wipers and was fixed long ago. Do they not learn from past mistakes or have short term memory? that is my concern. OTA software updates are great but there are many things that just should not need to be fixed and really need simple testing. The S had a ton of these things, seemed like no one really tried out the car before they started selling them.
My understanding was that because the model 3 does not have a rain sensor, when they finally introduced auto wipers they didn't account for the door being open while in use. the auto wiper would splash rain into the door while you're standing there. I agree that it's ridiculous that a lot of the software glitches can even occur in the first place, but I'm praising them on the way that they fixed it.

Sadly, any large company tends to have institutionalized forgetfulness. The people who fixed the MS pre-AP2 wipers did so many years ago and might be working on different things or left the company. AP2's autowipers are handled by a completely different subsystem (the APE ECU) with its own firmware, so likely they made the same oversight.

I wouldn't read into this as a sign of OTA quality slipping.

Not only the fact that it's over the air updates, but the fact that the CEO saw somebody with a problem and fixed it within a week. With over 15 releases Apple has yet to fix their podcast app from crashing nearly every time I download a new episode while playing over 4g. And this is the richest company in the world that makes hundreds of millions of this units every year and has over a billion units out right now in circulation. Not to compare apple to Tesla by any means

To be fair, iOS is immensely bigger and more complex than a car's firmware, though the iOS podcast app is a worthless piece of ***t, but Tesla has consistently shown more concern for its customers than most other companies. I wouldn't single out Apple to compare Tesla with, since few companies match Tesla's customer service. The iPhone changed the ways we communicate. Tesla is making the world a better place by showing the way toward transportation based on potentially sustainable electricity.

OTA software updates are a nice touch. But the things that matter most (IMO) are electric transportation, safety, build quality, and customer service. Tesla is the leader in the first, exemplary in the second and fourth. On build quality, Tesla does not seem to match the very best Japanese car makers, but is better than average in the industry, and I'm confident that they learn from their mistakes.

I think that you meant "The charging scheduler is active! But that's the only change I've seen so far."

Charge scheduling is very important.

Is the scheduling the same good-enough-for-California scheduling from the S and X?

It don't know what that means, but what would be good enough for me (in California) would be the ability to schedule charging for off peak times, without using something like VisibleTesla.

It's rare that I'd have to stop charging manually at 7am, but I generally want to charge between 11 pm and 7 am, except that I can charge all day on Saturday and Sunday except from 3 pm to 7 pm. Since I'm more likely to use a car on weekends for things beyond commuting, it would be nice if I could simply plug in and not have to start anything manually. I'd especially like not having to cancel charging manually at 3 pm on a weekend.

Simply allowing me to set a schedule the way I can on a $50 thermostat would satisfy my basic needs for California.

What's relevant is that Tesla does it now. I could buy a car from another company on the basis that they may do that in the future, but that wouldn't help unless I trade it in once they start doing that.

Many manufacturers do firmware upgrades—just not OTA. That is the key.

And many don't do them at all unless they are forced to do so because of a recall. I've reported things to other companies in the past and had them tell me that it seemed like a good idea and might make it into a future model year.

I've let Musk know about many problems and so have many other people. The implications of not being able to schedule charging was one of them, and the tweet got no response. Many other issues got addressed but took months or years.

It's not a question of whether Tesla does these things. It's more a matter of Musk replying to a Tweet when it concerns something that Tesla is about to release. People get the impression that the result is somehow related to the Tweet but Musk never claims that the two are related. If I had sent the same tweet days before the scheduled charging update was set to go live, I wouldn't be surprised if Musk tweeted back "good idea. Done." It wouldn't have meant that Musk was more responsive.

If everybody with a good idea could say "I tweeted it to Musk and it got added right away" then it would be a legitimate boast. But people ask about many good ideas. It's not that Musk is ignoring them by any means but it's not as if he is scheduling things haphazardly by having people drop everything to implement what Musk saw in the latest tweet. And that's a good thing. I can't fault him for being good at PR.

Reactions: ccutrer
And many don't do them at all unless they are forced to do so because of a recall. I've reported things to other companies in the past and had them tell me that it seemed like a good idea and might make it into a future model year.
Or they _do_ do them... for one model year. But once your model isn't the current one, you're SOL. The very first Model S's are still getting the same updates as everyone else (as far as they are applicable to their hardware).

Just install 2017.50.12.

Backup Camera looks much better!

This made my day though:
3E58656A-6110-4AF6-85FD-DA317CA00F7D.jpeg

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D