Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does not work with snowflakes. They just sat there even after melting. Confirmed wipers were set correctly. Might only be useful for rain at this point.

Edit: works with heavier snow. Light small flakes might work if aggregated.

Correction. Works with snow. Just needs more than I'd like before it starts. Light snow is ignored.

Same experience here, it does not work well with light snow/smaller snowflakes, but heavier snow melting on the windscreen works ok.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and lunitiks
OK, luck strikes and the first evening with 50.3 and it rains significantly. This was on street-lamped local roads. Dark outside otherwise.

The rain-sensing is the weirdest one I've ever experienced. First of all, Auto 1 did not do anything, even when the windshield was pretty much full of droplets, so that's out in those conditions.

Auto 2 did function, but in an almost random manner - one wipe here, two wipes there, long random delays in-between, then again one wipe (usually single wipes and then delay), sometimes accumulating significant rain on the windshield, sometimes too much to see ahead safely - I had to override it at times.

It is very distrubing, really, as it stands, having this almost random-seeming mechanism operating the wipers. It clearly recognizes rain, but does so only occasionally. I would say it was worse in dark spots of the road and a little better when turning towards a streetlight, but this correlation remains unclear.

In any case, I would much prefer it to use the wipers with some slowing down/speeding up interval mechanism, like they usually do. This one obviously responds to a yes/no "too much rain on windshield" event - when "yes", it wipes, when "no", it doesn't. There was no continuity, no rhythm, nor any seeming consistency to the wipes.

I think a simple improvement would be to make the rain-sensing have a bit of "memory" and operate the wipers at steady intervals for some time as long as the rain events continue fairly close to one another. That would make for a more pleasant rhythm...

Interestingly, had my first drives today on 50.3 and enabled the Auto Wipers in the Settings. It was not raining and the Auto 1 and Auto 2 settings dutifully were not moving (i.e. proof that the auto settings were on). I settled on Auto 2 and started my drive.

During the drive, the wipers operated once. It was the moment I came out from a short tunnel/underneath a bridge when darkness turned to light. I did not notice any water dripping on the car, though of course it is not impossible that some did. It was not raining. What also seem plausible is that the change in brightness (I came from shady side of the tunnel to the sunny side) triggered the NN, perhaps together with some dirt on the windshield?, similar to oncoming traffic in your case...

No no, I understood you perfectly - sorry for not being clear myself. I just meant that in my case the similar effect of coming from darker to light could have triggered it, e.g. if in my case the windshield had some dirt or something that was not so evident in the shade, but became evident with the change of light direction (a sunny spot).

Of course it could have been merely the brightness change too, as you point out.

OK, luck strikes and the first evening with 50.3 and it rains significantly. This was on street-lamped local roads. Dark outside otherwise.

The rain-sensing is the weirdest one I've ever experienced. First of all, Auto 1 did not do anything, even when the windshield was pretty much full of droplets, so that's out in those conditions.

Auto 2 did function, but in an almost random manner - one wipe here, two wipes there, long random delays in-between, then again one wipe (usually single wipes and then delay), sometimes accumulating significant rain on the windshield, sometimes too much to see ahead safely - I had to override it at times.

It is very distrubing, really, as it stands, having this almost random-seeming mechanism operating the wipers. It clearly recognizes rain, but does so only occasionally. I would say it was worse in dark spots of the road and a little better when turning towards a streetlight, but this correlation remains unclear.

In any case, I would much prefer it to use the wipers with some slowing down/speeding up interval mechanism, like they usually do. This one obviously responds to a yes/no "too much rain on windshield" event - when "yes", it wipes, when "no", it doesn't. There was no continuity, no rhythm, nor any seeming consistency to the wipes.

I think a simple improvement would be to make the rain-sensing have a bit of "memory" and operate the wipers at steady intervals for some time as long as the rain events continue fairly close to one another. That would make for a more pleasant rhythm...
Good report @AnxietyRanger thanks. Does this mean that the wiper *speed* does not change, regardless of rain?

Good report @AnxietyRanger thanks. Does this mean that the wiper *speed* does not change, regardless of rain?

Doesn't seem to. What seems to change is the interval of wiping. The best I got were two consequtive wipes, mostly it was one wipe and then it sort of stopped for a few seconds.

Wait and look... wait and look... wait and look... oh, rain! WIPE!... wait and look... wait and look... oh, rain! WIPE! WIPE!... wait and look... wait and look... wait and look... wait and look... wait and look... oh, rain! WIPE!... wait and look...

Based off the videos I've seen, this pretty much sums it up. Most "traditional" rain sensing systems turn rain detection into a certain wiping speed. This one just seems to output "wipe" or "don't wipe" as if it's someone pressing the single wipe button.

I was pleasantly surprised that my car received the update shortly after returning home from work last night. We've received less than 1/2 inch of rain all "winter" so it's doubtful that I will have an opportunity to test the auto wipers anytime soon.

However, during my commute this morning I noticed that the traffic was depicted more realistically. By that I mean it showed multiple cars, including some in adjacent lanes, vs. just the one car directly ahead of me.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget and MP3Mike
With my AP1 rain sensor, setting 2 is both more sensitive for the rain *and* it can go completely nuts with the speed. Like stupid fast sometimes

Yeah, that's my experience too with AP1. Unfortunately my favorite touchless wash puts some sort of RainX additive in the final rinse, and that causes setting 1 to not wipe at all, and setting 2 goes beserk.

Honestly for me, I only used the AP1 rain sensors for the "initial wipe" until I could be bothered to manually pick a speed.

It is very distrubing
That is a bit strong. I am sure different ppl have different views on this. My wife, for instance, hates it when wipers are wiping unnecessarily. I am constantly hearing, "Turn the wipers off", even if it literally just stopped or slowed down raining. I prefer the on or off approach dependent on the need or accumulation of rain sensed. I do acknowledge that there will probably be issues with the logic based on the camera/sensor input. Sounds like with NN there is a learning process with real time improvements. So, it might be a little bit of wait and see improvement. Sounds like you may want to turn it off until you can tolerate the result to limit your "disturbing" observation. ;) At least there is an option to turn off unlike AP1 not so long ago.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and Rouget
Yeah, that's my experience too with AP1. Unfortunately my favorite touchless wash puts some sort of RainX additive in the final rinse, and that causes setting 1 to not wipe at all, and setting 2 goes beserk.

Honestly for me, I only used the AP1 rain sensors for the "initial wipe" until I could be bothered to manually pick a speed.
Ya the AP1 sensor is quite stupid in that sense. I actually really hate it. I guess that's the reason I'm so excited about this NN wiper stuff - at least the potential of it.

BTW don't you wash your car by hand? My goodness
Pretty sure I read in the release notes that the setting doesn't have to do with wiper speed, but sensitivity to rain. So, the higher setting is going to wipe sooner than the lower setting.
That settles it, then!

As I used it in snowfall, I loved it. I told my wife that my car's wipers even have a mind of their own. Its amazing.

I've got a vid but it is completely random (to me). I cannot detect a pattern of operation but with snowfall it operated fine (other than smearing salt smears which required operation of the sprayers (manual (though it kept going past where the usual manual spray mechanism would go (2 swipes and it kept going until clear of smears))).

Ya the AP1 sensor is quite stupid in that sense. I actually really hate it. I guess that's the reason I'm so excited about this NN wiper stuff - at least the potential of it.

BTW don't you wash your car by hand? My goodness

That settles it, then!

Completely agreed. Of all the things I liked about AP1's sensor suite, the rain sensing was right up there with truck lust in terms of reasons why I really want AP2 to succeed.

As far as washing my car by hand: Admittedly I really should. I live in an apartment complex and technically I'm not supposed to wash my car in the parking structure, but the staff saw me using Optimum No Rinse and 2 buckets once, and seeing how little water it left on the ground they kinda just shrugged and ignored it. It's more laziness and mosquitoes at this point.

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
That is a bit strong. I am sure different ppl have different views on this. My wife, for instance, hates it when wipers are wiping unnecessarily. I am constantly hearing, "Turn the wipers off", even if it literally just stopped or slowed down raining. I prefer the on or off approach dependent on the need or accumulation of rain sensed. I do acknowledge that there will probably be issues with the logic based on the camera/sensor input. Sounds like with NN there is a learning process with real time improvements. So, it might be a little bit of wait and see improvement. Sounds like you may want to turn it off until you can tolerate the result to limit your "disturbing" observation. ;) At least there is an option to turn off unlike AP1 not so long ago.

This was in constant, moderate rain. In constant rain random wiping events did not feel accurate at all. The rain had rhythm, while the wiping did not.

And yes, the timing did feel disturbing. There was a rhythm to both the rain and the drive - but on top of it was this slightly bezerk wiper reminiding of itself every random few seconds, sometimes with one, sometimes with two wipes. It was annoying.

I'm not saying it was useless. It was just the weiredest I've had. The pre-AP Model S rain-sensor was fine IMO.

According to release notes speed is supposed to adjust accordingly in position 2.
Position 1 is intermittent.
A4988519-3C70-4C4C-913F-D82191E07ECE.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget and Cooker
Well, reality for me so far is that Auto 1 did nothing (no wiping at all), while Auto 2 did the random-interval wipes on my evening drive. And yes, I'm sure they were on Auto 1 and Auto 2, since I tested they were bounded by off and constant beneath/above them (again tested those settings too)...

Reactions: Cooker