Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NYC has regulation that requires 10% EV charging provision for all new or being modified garages. Just in Manhattan alone more than 200 (!) garages already have dedicated Tesla HPWC...

Let me repeat this word one more time: ridiculous!
I really disagree about that. It's not ridiculous at all. Many unit owners, including me, choose to leave their cars for extended periods. Many others want to minimize inconvenience and nothing is much more convenient than ones own parking space.

Really, BEV's are not like ICE. You seem to forget that convenience is one big BEV advantage.
So, let me repeat, NOT ridiculous!:rolleyes:

I really disagree about that. It's not ridiculous at all. Many unit owners, including me, choose to leave their cars for extended periods. Many others want to minimize inconvenience and nothing is much more convenient than ones own parking space.

Really, BEV's are not like ICE. You seem to forget that convenience is one big BEV advantage.
So, let me repeat, NOT ridiculous!:rolleyes:

Ridiculous was intended for the stuff posted by mmd (chuckles)...

I suspect that the insurance “penalty” of being a human driver will force the casuals off the road, leaving those with a need for fun driving to pay that monetary penalty when they want a drive for the fun of driving as opposed to commuting.

Actually, I think the opposite would happen: the cheaper and better autonomous vehicles are, the lower meatbag insurance will be.

There are several reasons:
- Herd immunity: assuming autonomous vehicles act like cooperative, considerate, observant humans, growing use of autonomous vehicles would help avoid a bunch of dumb collisions.
- Eliminating high-cost drivers: the availability of a cheap point-to-point alternative would take many of the highest risk drivers off the road, as well as removing many uninsured drivers.
- Driver Assistance: as well as more expensive fully autonomous systems, we can expect cheaper, more advanced driver assistance systems that will help avoid and mitigate the damage from collisions.

Reactions: Snapdragon III
Actually, I think the opposite would happen: the cheaper and better autonomous vehicles are, the lower meatbag insurance will be.

There are several reasons:
- Herd immunity: assuming autonomous vehicles act like cooperative, considerate, observant humans, growing use of autonomous vehicles would help avoid a bunch of dumb collisions.
- Eliminating high-cost drivers: the availability of a cheap point-to-point alternative would take many of the highest risk drivers off the road, as well as removing many uninsured drivers.
- Driver Assistance: as well as more expensive fully autonomous systems, we can expect cheaper, more advanced driver assistance systems that will help avoid and mitigate the damage from collisions.
Maybe, but as Warren Buffet once said, paraphrased, the growth of autonomous vehicles will hurt insurance companies because the pool will shrink.
I think, in particular, underwriting expertise will confer lower competitive advantage as loss frequency declines. In all probability loss severity will rise substantially. That might well produce higher premiums rather than lower ones.

Nobody really knows for sure. For certain manufacturers will have greater liability claims, for sure loss severity will rise. Will reduction in loss frequency be enough to cause premiums to drop? That is the question.

I am quite certain that human driver safety will rise as autonomous vehicles spread, precisely because there will be so many fewer multiple driver errors.

All this is quite a long way off, as we know.

Correction, it's 5%. I think the 20% was pre-wired for L2. I will post a picture of the facility in March at the first game.
My daughter recently purchased a new construction home in a development in Long Beach area where every garage includes wiring for EV connection (240v 6ga) and solar on the roof (she drives a Fiat 500e which she leased for $50/mo.). The development sold out in days and some new "owners" are already flipping them for profit without ever moving in.

Many apartment complexes in SoCal are now starting to advertise EV charging as an amenity to attract potential renters.

Last edited:
In photos, the factory looks tiny [I'm doing that thing with my pinky finger to denote something derogatory].
It does look tiny, but the article states that they are making battery packs in 10 locations worldwide.

I doubt the total capacity is anywhere near what Tesla is planning, but it does show that BMW are serious about getting the expertise globally so that they can scale up over time.

Next week the Chelan PUD is hosting an event with a guest speaker from PNNL (Pacific Northwest National Laboratory) to discuss the benefits of Smart Transportation..........which of course includes adding electric vehicle demand to the grid. This is very interesting that this is happening. I personally feel the northwest grid operators are under immense pressure from the rapidly-lowering cost of California solar power. Hydro has been cheap in the NW for many years, but it still costs about $0.04/kwh to produce that power, which leaves generators and distributors dependent upon higher peak demand charges ($0.20/kwh+ and up) to be able to wheel and sell base power across the NW for around $0.08/kwh. Where the NW grid had traditionally been used to export power to California in years-past, as a result of solar growth and restored hydro-generation from California there is the beginning of a paradigm shift in the NW as the grid is now being used in both directions. What a concept - electricity flowing FROM the least expensive source. As California fills their demand needs they are now beginning to reach a NW market with excess solar that is less expensive than hydro.

It is my opinion that the Columbia Basin generators cannot cut there way into restored profitability.........they will need to 'grow into profitability' by creating new markets of large demand that can be supplied by hydro. Existing hydro generation costs and the subsequent mitigation programs that hydro is required to support will never get cheaper. But grid demand can be grown in a manner that will support a capacity to benefit from hydro and wind's ability to continue to generate at night. That will be battery storage. Without developing storage and distributed generation in the near future, I think the grid between the NW and California would eventually return to a one-way line........however it will be from California to the NW with a supply of solar and storage. So if the adoption of EV transportation will grow the grid by 30% or more as some of this board have suggested, then we may see the NW accelerating this concept sooner than later if California continues to accelerate its transition to solar.

Here is the copied link to the invitation:

You're invited to a special evening

Come take a test drive in an auto-pilot Tesla. Hear more about how Smart Transportation could work in Chelan County.
goGGViiGVCxUE_YiC8-fuC267tFW7qwt174WJpd0mkZsUihsEAU7GzMNwX22TcuB56ses-14gWOMp_19OWPz8xJQ32rxQp2tTGifNxGG7OiqfcTQHDN_rMgs3D74Z0FWTj0SpVddd8SP1Zw=s0-d-e1-ft

SMART TRANSPORTATION
What is it? Can it work here?
PwY8zeozY2N-IcCD2_ylKeRnWztoJgQEUzy1x6UO5C_9NWN4oAhHKJ3ziNyVXtXzsh48LD_Qj7IQWN4G7uMz3tQ4Q4L_qdkUhbASv83bqT-i=s0-d-e1-ft

p1yCdxRV2-c8RQZloETvLZ9PPdFVzGaIH8DYaey6wvTzjMmF8QFnmGC-7VSNJ3E50s9RVebEoVoAkowk6IM1sD1bCoIDLuC-_NPr_qhDrW4JFbjzMnnV8z373wc3Jva0XUFaPkY7X6uODJo=s0-d-e1-ft

PwY8zeozY2N-IcCD2_ylKeRnWztoJgQEUzy1x6UO5C_9NWN4oAhHKJ3ziNyVXtXzsh48LD_Qj7IQWN4G7uMz3tQ4Q4L_qdkUhbASv83bqT-i=s0-d-e1-ft

Advanced technologies could change the way we drive and the way we live. But are autonomous driving vehicles coming soon? Can electric vehicles reduce our carbon footprint?

Join Dr. Michael Kintner-Meyer, staff scientist at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, for an evening of lively discussion around next-generation vehicles -- and why Chelan County could be an ideal proving ground.
Wednesday, Nov. 1 - 6:30-8 p.m.
Confluence Technology Center (CTC)
285 Technology Center Way (Olds Station)
Wenatchee
Immediately following Dr. Kintner-Meyer will be a chance for the community to ask more about Smart Transportation and what the future holds. A panel will answer questions and take your ideas for looking at our transportation future here in Chelan County.

Brought to you by the Port of Chelan County, Wenatchee Valley College, The Wenatchee World and Chelan County PUD.

Dr. Michael Kintner-Meyer is the lead researcher at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory for energy storage grid analysis, transportation electrification and smart transportation. Dr. Kintner-Meyer received a doctorate in mechanical engineering from the University of Washington and a master’s degree from the University of Aachen, Germany. He holds four patents related to grid-friendly technologies.

Take a spin in a self-driving Tesla!
See some auto-pilot Teslas from 5-6:15 p.m. before the discussion. Find them in the east parking lot of the CTC.
rAhfo-J3-2LhLABVSYmHOipMo2jRQd_SzeLZ15L6O4BM8_odVY1qJApHI96jxK7Gg20V45ruDwiYM_26j6DQZRXjitBZgvZbVDgptToCUc_EjC3svUUiZ9W7ReQZQUqHeFGp4z01cFYP0XY=s0-d-e1-ft

Status
Not open for further replies.