Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
" Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and give unto God what is God's"

Jesus was not a totalitarian.

Jesus never condoned the State taking by force from those that have a lot to redistribute to those that have a little. He implored those that have a lot to care for the poor from their own free volition.

And Jesus did not condone any sex people wanted to have as long as it was between conscenting adults.

Rather difficult to say what he may have said or done since he may not even have existed at all.

I still prefer stock, as in no change to the exterior, over any modified version in any car. I wouldn’t even modify the rims, other than upgrading it to a 21 stock Tesla...Maybe because I’m getting older, but I know the younger generations will go gaga over these sorts of things.
I disagree.

HRE P43SC Front 2.jpg

Last edited:

Nice rims and I welcome your disagreement. Although I think it’s nice, I still think the Tesla wheels are much more aesthetically beautiful. I tend to think that way about Benz and BMW stock rims as well... One of the many reasons that draws me to the Tesla is that it’s low key. It fits in with the crowd but yet somehow finds a way to stand out. For a guy like myself this is golden, I’m just not interested in modifying my car, for the exception of maybe having the red calipers, although I equally like the grey. There’s plenty of people who likes to have their vehicle stand out, which is fine all accounts.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Because they have a hidden fantasy of being American pimps?! :p

I remember at a faculty party one of the most senior profs arriving with the wife of his equally distinguished co-author. The man was a pretty good mechanic and sometimes restored cars. He was driving a very large not-to-old white Lincoln with red fluffy seats and interior. The first thing came out of my mouth was, "now you're driving a *sugar* mobile!")

Wonder of your experience with that color combo? (This is all of mine.) Must be the Superfly movies.

Justin w is collecting all complaints today.

Oh, I have PLENTY of complaints. However, none that involve products I have purchased from Tesla. :cool:

Edit: WAIT: I just thought of a Tesla related one. When they delivered my P85D about three years ago they GAVE me a shirt. It was in the frunk.

I would have preferred a hat. Dang it EM....where is my D..n hat!:eek::rolleyes:

All tech companies report R&D and SG&A as operating expenses, not cost of goods. For some reason auto companies report R&D in cost of goods. I used to think this was because they capitalized the R&D expense and amortized it over units sold as part of COGS. After doing a little research it looks like they expense all R&D in the current period in COGS. That doesn't make sense to me since the bulk of development in a specific period is going to products that aren't shipping yet, so why include it in COGS?

Since my background is not in finance, can anyone here who did this stuff for a career please confirm this? (I thought of asking @Donn Bailey over a SA but changed my mind.) :rolleyes:

So far as I can tell Tesla reports R&D and SG&A as separate line items, not part of the gross margin calculation. Shouldn't some (maybe even most) of those expenses be considered part of the cost of the vehicle? Or am I missing something obvious?

Sure, here's the obvious something you're missing:

TRADITIONAL AUTOMAKERS INNOVATE *sugar*, WHAT R&D?!?!?!

Reactions: bdy0627
This forum desperately needs the option to Ignore posts that are responses, and quote people you have on ignore! At least they could be highlighted in some way so you could skip over them quickly.

I think we've been thinking the same thing.

To be clear,

1) current ignore option remains available

2) ignore plus becomes available- ignores all posts from member X and replies from any members to posts made by member X

option 2) would allow those who find it useful or entertaining to respond to gibberish posts can continue to do so, those who don't want to read the gibberish posts or the responses to gibberish posts can see the signal to noise ratio improve.

It wouldn't be perfect, but, it would seem very likely to be a material improvement.

This is not the sort of discussion I was expecting. I was expecting some discussion about Saudi Arabia this weekend and how it will affect TSLA. Maybe over in Market Action they have an interest ...
The stock's down; everybody's depressed and defensive. At least I am.
PS Saudi is crazy scary. Apparently they're having so much fun making war on Yemen they want to extend it to Iran. And of course Trump will love that.

This is not the sort of discussion I was expecting. I was expecting some discussion about Saudi Arabia this weekend and how it will affect TSLA. Maybe over in Market Action they have an interest ...
Any hint of oil supply restriction and weird stuff happening overseas affects the oil price sharply, although so much oil is local sourced, including Canada. However, the market still takes a back seat, show me the numbers, profits, volume production etc when it comes to EVs and tesla. So market is hypersensitive to oil, as lots of people benefit from price per barrel increases, but lagging indicator for the paradgidm shift with EVs and 'alternative energy.'

As an aside, energy is not alternative, it is just energy be it wind, oil, coal, or solar, etc. As long as solar panel prices fall, it would appear to me that solar energy generation would beat out other forms of energy. Yet the solar sector gets beaten up for high costs-- so which is it, flooding of solar panels from all places, including China providing cheaper electricity or solar companies unable to survive because they can't price gauge customers and end users.

Why does the market need a line(s) at gas stations to get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.