Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that good or bad? Sorry. Don't know much about this kind of trading.
There are two reasons why stock and option traders care when large sweep orders get placed in the options market.

• Sweeps are typically large blocks, meaning that the trader placing the order has some major financial backing.
  • Sweep orders indicate that the buyer wants to take a position in a hurry, which could imply that he or she is anticipating a large move in the underlying stock’s share price in the very near future.

What Is An Options Sweep?

Oh black bordered white candles, who I miss thee.
awkvgsa.gif
...:p

Reactions: austinEV
Thanks! So someone's betting pretty heavily that the TSLA will be significantly above $305/310 next Friday? Do I have that right?
More than that. They're betting heavily that TSLA will rise significantly from its current price before Friday. They didn't want to pay much of a premium though (this is why they chose more in-the-money calls). If the price drops below $305/$310 they lose the *entire* $6 million; if it is somwhere between there and the current price, they just lose some of it.

The possible relevance is that someone appears to be betting on the deliveries report being a large surprise to the upside.

They may have inside information or they may just have really good information or they may just be a really big gambler (and possibly an idiot) or they may be a billionaire for whom $6 million is pocket change. Who knows.

----
However, as noted, it could be a hedge. If it's a hedge it would be a short-seller trying to lock in an exit price *in case* the deliveries report is a huge positive upside. This would imply someone who has short sold 171,900 shares, which is a truly enormous number of shares to short-sell... that would imply a $58 million exposure... but I guess with shorting of $10 billion, there have to be some people with very large short positions...

Last edited:
More than that. They're betting heavily that TSLA will rise significantly from its current price before Friday. They didn't want to pay much of a premium though (this is why they chose more in-the-money calls). If the price drops below $305/$310 they lose the *entire* $3.6 million; if it is somwhere between there and the current price, they just lose some of it.

Option_Sniper on Twitter
HUGE HUGE HUGE 30-40M $$ hedging $tsla today w/ Oct/Jan calls and Jan2019 puts. too risky for me. so i won't play it. just be careful folks.

thoughts??

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Option_Sniper on Twitter
HUGE HUGE HUGE 30-40M $$ hedging $tsla today w/ Oct/Jan calls and Jan2019 puts. too risky for me. so i won't play it. just be careful folks.

thoughts??
I hate Twitter abbreviation. I'm not sure exactly what he's seeing happening in the Jan calls (buy? sell? what strike?) and Jan 2019 puts (buy? sell? what strike?), and I'm not going to bother to look it up, so I'm not sure what the whole trade *was*. Without knowing that, I can't even say what the trader might be doing.

...OK, I did look it up I don't see any crazy-high-volume trades in those dates. The *1010* volume in the Oct 6 $305s and *742* volume in Oct 6 $310s is outlandish, especially since it seems to mostly have been two trades. So I think my previous analysis that someone is betting on delivery numbers is correct.

Last edited:
I hate Twitter abbreviation. I'm not sure exactly what he's seeing happening in the Jan calls (buy? sell? what strike?) and Jan 2019 puts (buy? sell? what strike?), and I'm not going to bother to look it up, so I'm not sure what the whole trade *was*. Without knowing that, I can't even say what the trader might be doing.

Totally agree. 'Option Sniper' needs the new expanded character number Twitter may be offering. Not enough info to discern anything here about the intention of this (these) investors/traders.

EDIT: Like most of us he expects a big move next week or so but is unsure of the direction

Effective way to spread rumors, though. With plausible deniability. {was that <140?}

Status
Not open for further replies.