Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@MitchJi pointed out in the past that when TSLA is on a run, it doesn't respond negatively to bad news. It just keeps going up. Likewise, when it is trending down, it doesn't respond positively to good news. I would say over the last month, it really hasn't been responding negatively to some bad short term news such as the delay in the Model 3 ramp and delay in the Semi reveal. It easily could have been dropping. Plus, it has pretty much ignored all the FUD, when in the past it has dropped on that stuff. Macro days like this are another matter but I would expect TSLA, if acting positively, to draw buyers when dipping on macro. I think today is a pretty good test. If it goes down a lot more than the market and springs back up by end of day to a more modest drop, that's another sign of strength. I will buy into that.

what makes you think he's not?

Because I'm constantly told I'm an uber-bull, delusional, and simply crazy, and Elon & Team would then prove me too conservative... ;)

Something about hell freezing over...

upload_2017-10-19_11-8-24.png

Looks like we do have some more model 3 vins registered with NHSTA.

Right now it looks like 2136 is the highest. I've tried spot checking by 10s above that without any luck... might have missed a few numbers though.

This is very positive. Very very positive.

What does 2136 spell upside down? I literally just walked around my table to look down on my screen, but couldn't figure it out.

I did look like an idiot though...

Last edited:
As much as there’s a possibility of TSLA shooting to 1000 in coming year, there’s also the possibility of a combo of a recession, stock market crash, and M3 ramp delay that pushes the stock (and broader markets) down in 2018 and washes out the enthusiastic fan herd here robbing them of their option money they were so sure was going to make them rich.
I think it's the chances of a M3 delay causing a negative impact instead of a positive impact beyond Q3 2018 are zero. Elon said (paraphrasing) not to worry about production hitting 10k per week or profitability of 20-30%. If you doubt that I recommend that you watch a video of a used rocket sticking a landing on a barge.

I don't think your conclusion about Tesla's lack of testing is not completely correct. I believe that Tesla performs adequate pre-production testing. I believe that they do minimal (possibly zero) testing of their production vehicles before actual production starts. I believe that is the correct decision for three reasons. EV's are a lot simpler than ICE's. The costs of building a production line and then using it to build cars for testing would be extremely expensive. They have been able to get around that by a combination of working hard to make early customers whole and more recently by limiting sales to employees. A side benefit of that strategy for investors is buying opportunities.

...On Oct. 19, 1987, the S&P 500 plummeted 20.5 percent to wipe out what had been sizeable gains for the year.

Earnings season off with a bang, but since today is Oct 19th, market sentiment off the bat seems like driven by the above ...

Edit: This is not a Joke ;)

Indeed, not a joke. Round number anniversaries are relatively meaningless, but knowing they are coming gives the media time to prepare stories. This morning CNBC has been harping on little other than the Crash of '87 that occurred exactly 30 years ago. It puts investors in a fearful mood. Most are doing nothing, but trading is always on the margins and a significant number appear to have been inspired to sell this morning.

I remember well the Crash of '87, as I was hosting the Stock Market Observer on WCIU-TV in Chicago. It was a mad scramble to get guests on the show, as many were more concerned about protecting their positions. One who did get on the show was literally drooling at the mouth.

This will soon blow over, just as it did after the Crash of '87. At the end of that day and the following morning, great buying opportunities were presented. I don't see this bull market ending until latecomers with FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) start pushing the market in large jumps to unsustainable highs on heavy trading volume. The recent string of record highs has been with modest moves and light trading volume. Stay calm; be alert for opportunities.

...but not surprising. After all, it is a ramp up, and there is that curve, we only don't really know the slope, but I'll bet we'll hear more about that in two weeks time.

Tesla is still way behind on desired Model 3 production, but this is an indication that they may not be falling further behind. I'd call it less negative rather than positive.

Agreed. What gets me excited is that Tesla may not be far from the inflection point between the exponential and linear portions of the S-curve.

@MitchJi pointed out in the past that when TSLA is on a run, it doesn't respond negatively to bad news. It just keeps going up. Likewise, when it is trending down, it doesn't respond positively to good news.

So what you're saying is when TSLA is going up it goes up, and when it's going down it goes down? :) In all seriousness, I haven't seen any evidence that anyone here can predict where the stock is going short term, it defies all logic. I do feel pretty confident it's going up in the medium to long term though.

Status
Not open for further replies.