Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Uber ever went public at $78bil market cap, I'd short the crap out of it.

As long as Tesla Network isn't yet out, Uber is a great company that is worth all the pennies it does now tbh. I've been to LA, and I don't know ANYONE that doesn't use Uber regularly, and are HAPPY about it. And don't want to use anything else.

As long as Tesla Network isn't yet out, Uber is a great company that is worth all the pennies it does now tbh. I've been to LA, and I don't know ANYONE that doesn't use Uber regularly, and are HAPPY about it. And don't want to use anything else.
It's not a question of it being popular - Uber isn't profitable the way it's being run. Additionally, it has been caught multiple times in the last couple months engaging in... Less than fully above board activities.

I too would be first in line to short it if Uber IPOd. Uber fails on fundamentals - for a company to have value, it has to have a business model that (eventually) arrives at profit, without operating in direct violation of the law.

That's what I thought since a week, but apparently the SP decided to be lazy and didn't move a inch since 3 weeks...

To my thinking Tesla does not match the current macro stock environment. The Trump trade is being rethought by the market according to Business Insider. Link below.

I'm not a chart type but the argument makes sense. However, all but the last chart really don't a trend make, but the S&P 500 Retailing Index seems significant.

The Trump trade looks dead

Please clarify for me, oh mighty chartists!

Edit: Here is a much more solidly reported view by the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/22/business/trump-tax-real-estate.html?_r=0

Last edited:
It's not a question of it being popular - Uber isn't profitable the way it's being run. Additionally, it has been caught multiple times in the last couple months engaging in... Less than fully above board activities.

I too would be first in line to short it if Uber IPOd. Uber fails on fundamentals - for a company to have value, it has to have a business model that (eventually) arrives at profit, without operating in direct violation of the law.

They're not profitable because they have a huge expansion rate.

The business model makes sense IMO, Uber doesn't sell transportation, Uber sells time.

I click a button and BOOM.

• Disagree
Reactions: callmesam
Looks like Macron vs Le Pen for next round with Macron currently securing a plurality.
Conventional wisdom is that markets should respond favorably tmrw.

I have found conventional wisdom and the market don't always agree.

Political conventional wisdom;: HRC was a 'shoe in' until Election Day.

I hope conventional wisdom is right this time though. ;)

Final election results are, of course, not till May 7th. This is more of an interim 'thank God' we don't have to choose between far-right (Le Pen) or far-left (Melenchon).

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

Final election results are, of course, not till May 7th. This is more of an interim 'thank God' we don't have to choose between far-right (Le Pen) or far-left (Melenchon).

Looks like the losing candidates from both right and left are uniting largely behind centrist Macron. Coupled with Trump endorsement of Le Pen (another plus for Macron), ought to calm the markets. The Euro gaining on the news as well.
Defeated conservative Fillon calls on supporters to choose Macron over Le Pen

We'll have enough of our own market volitics this week.

Meanwhile we all move forward with a SpaceX launch tentivley targeting Apr30 end of week. The first SpaceX mission for DOD - a significant victory for them
SpaceX To Launch A “Spy” Satellite for the First Ever Time Using a Falcon 9 Rocket (MobiPicker)

Last edited:
Looks like the losing candidates from both right and left are uniting largely behind centrist Macron.

The French election is now a done deal. Marine Le Pen will not go much further beyond the 20% she got on the first round, and Macron will get more than 60%. Had Macron failed to pass the first round, things would have turned out far more complicated.

This was a high-speed collision that cause the other vehicle (an ICE) to catch fire too, but I suspect the Tesla fire was much slower to escalate and this is why it allowed all occupants to leave without any burns. Also, the falcon wing doors have an emergency release that was probably not used. The fact that the two young people had to exit through the front doors and a broken nose and a cut lip were the injuries suggests that these injuries were incurred during the violent crash and not as a result of climbing into the front of the vehicle for the exit. I don't see a significant safety issue with the X as a result. The negative press might try to run with the story, but with it taking place in China it's a lot harder to get an angry owner on camera, speaking English.

Lol what's the point, this 400 dollars juicer is BS if you can do it by hand.
-----

Uber service if was BS, people wouldn't use it billions of times every year.
--------
There is a difference between a company worth a lot WHILE selling BS. And a company worth a lot because EVERYONE is using or starting to use it.
but it's got wifi... of course... it doesn't work if it can't connect to your network... yes... it's a "juicer"... and it doesn't make juice if it can't access your network... they raised $120M+.

SV is rivaling the 1999 bubble... and a 100k/yr car company that's pretty much guaranteed to be the largest company that's ever existed is just another relic of it.

but it's got wifi... of course... it doesn't work if it can't connect to your network... yes... it's a "juicer"... and it doesn't make juice if it can't access your network... they raised $120M+.

SV is rivaling the 1999 bubble... and a 100k/yr car company that's pretty much guaranteed to be the largest company that's ever existed is just another relic of it.
No one is stopping you from shorting Tesla.

That juicer story is lunacy, but there are no similarities to Tesla. The world is going to EVs, and Tesla has a massive head start.

This was a high-speed collision that cause the other vehicle (an ICE) to catch fire too, but I suspect the Tesla fire was much slower to escalate and this is why it allowed all occupants to leave without any burns. Also, the falcon wing doors have an emergency release that was probably not used. The fact that the two young people had to exit through the front doors and a broken nose and a cut lip were the injuries suggests that these injuries were incurred during the violent crash and not as a result of climbing into the front of the vehicle for the exit. I don't see a significant safety issue with the X as a result. The negative press might try to run with the story, but with it taking place in China it's a lot harder to get an angry owner on camera, speaking English.
please provide reference to support the ICE vehicle catching on fire also. I'm looking at a picture with a Tesla completely engulfed in flames and an ICE vehicle that is NOT.

upload_2017-4-23_15-12-21.png

No one is stopping you from shorting Tesla.

That juicer story is lunacy, but there are no similarities to Tesla. The world is going to EVs, and Tesla has a massive head start.

I think he is already shorting Tesla.

But anyway, opinions don't matter. Results will speak for themselves.
I can say Tesla will be worth 1 trillion, 100 billion, 10 billion, 1 billion, 0.

Results will be what they are no matter what you think what is Tesla worth.
----------
All I know for now, is that A LOT of people in my surrounding is about to buy a Tesla in the next few months. And all the other car makers are still debating what their electric car strategy is.

please provide reference to support the ICE vehicle catching on fire also. I'm looking at a picture with a Tesla completely engulfed in flames and an ICE vehicle that is NOT.

View attachment 224129

From what we can tell, the ICE vehicle didn't slam into a concrete barrier hard enough to spin around 180. An ICE SUV would probably have rolled over killing everyone inside. ICE vehicles catch fire all the time after hard collisions.

From what we can tell, the ICE vehicle didn't slam into a concrete barrier hard enough to spin around 180. An ICE SUV would probably have rolled over killing everyone inside. ICE vehicles catch fire all the time after hard collisions.
This was the statement that was made:

"This was a high-speed collision that cause the other vehicle (an ICE) to catch fire too, but I suspect the Tesla fire was much slower to escalate and this is why it allowed all occupants to leave without any burns"

"Tesla is so great because it burns slower than ICE! ICE SUCKS!" -- picture... ICE vehicle NOT on fire... Tesla 100% in flames.

seriously... take your blinders off... who are you trying to convince here?

Personally, I cannot see the front of the ICE well enough to see that it was not on fire. I have a suspicion, though, that there was something in the frunk that was combustible, because nothing else burns that easily, and you notice, it's the frunk. I have read other stories of Tesla fires where people were carrying gallons of gas (what ever for??) in the frunk, and I don't find it hard to believe that Tesla refuses to pay. Many more stories exist where Teslas survive amazing crashes with no fire, and the owners walk away.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.