Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cramer - "You got to control the market. You can't let it lift"....time 1:50. Didn't catch that the last time I watched it. Sure sounds a lot like the recent forecast estimates we have been seeing. Thanks for continuing to post this Curt. I expect they are simply suppressing Tesla share prices while allowing stocks of lesser growth potential to run before they are the first to shift these inferior holdings to Tesla in an effort to create additional investment capital. This would help explain why Tesla tends to be held back on days when the rest of the market marches forward (i.e. today the DJ was up 1%, the Nasdaq was up 0.5%, and automotive stocks were up 0.5% when Tesla reversed downward). That of course suggests that there are a lot of stocks on today's market that shouldn't be going up (perhaps Ford and GM?) - and will soon be going down. While this will be good for long-term Tesla investors, this unfortunately leaves the small investor holding a bag full of *sugar* inferior stocks that CNBC and others advised them to own before the rug got pulled out

Cramer - "Its important when you're in that Hedge fund mode is to not do anything remotely truthful"....time 5:05 - do we know any 'small hedge fund managers' that fall into that category?

[ 2:00am several days ago. Abandoned parking lot. Two cars pull up to each other. Windows roll down.]

Big Whale Client: I wanna get into TSLA bad. Model 3, solar roofs, Tesla Energy, it's gonna be huge.

Big Wall St Firm: Whoa there buddy, you sure, I mean it's over $300 a share.

Big Whale Client: Well I'm sure there's a way you could bring it down for us first.

Big Wall St Firm: For you, anything. Give me a few days.

Big Whale Client: That's what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't be surprised if shorts were there to keep the SP down as much as they can while larger investors come in on the long side.

Again, this is all conspiracy theory stuff, and I don't base my investment decisions on it.

Did AMAZ go through so much headwind when they were first starting out and weren't making any money (i.e., with all the downgrades, bad mouthing from analysts etc.)? Could some more experienced investor here enlighten me with a little history?

One can answer your question by looking at the short interest.

Percent of outstanding shares short was never as high for Amazon as it is today for Tesla at this stage of the company (i.e. large-cap).

I strongly believe this is a function of what Tesla represents (i.e. end of fossil fuel industry). Read this.

Amazon never threatened multiple trillions of dollars of oil revenue. Tesla has the potential to transform energy as we know it.

I would love to understand why Fidelity, which owns a lot of Tesla shares, is willing to lend them out for 0.25% (basically free). Are they setting a bear trap for a bigger short squeeze? Are they trying to force the SP down because they have sold some of their shares with the intention of buying in again at a lower price?

My understanding is that lending rate jumps if demand to short is close to max number of shares available to short, and otherwise is low.

This is in line with my expectation that demand to short TSLA is decreasing as we get close to earnings day.

Reactions: neroden
I use VIX differently- but I know some use it to help judge risk in short term trades- especially tuned going into ER. For those folks take note of VIX plunge to recent lows;

C-QkRojXsAE6wf-.jpg

longer term 1yr reference:
screenshot36.jpg

Anyone notice the inverse correlation between $GM and $TSLA today? Sign of things to come?

Exactly this! I found neroden's explanation of a 'sector shift' most helpful as that concept works for me. And if the overall market managers were capable of slowly and steadily transitioning their holdings from the old paradigm to the new paradigm of stocks on a daily/weekly basis, then they may even be able to keep the overall market trend positive while transitioning their holdings to the new paradigm (thus the trend from US stocks to overseas tech companies, and the shift from traditional to tech while the overall average continues to march upwards). I believe we don't need to see a market 'crash' for a paradigm shift to occur - but someone has to be left holding the bag. And I am feeling more confident every day that Tesla is a good place to be if the market managers shift the paradigm too quickly with negative results on the overall market (Tencent investing in Tesla is a great vote of confidence). I don't like conspiracy theories either, but a lot of big funds are holding old paradigm investments and they know it. The inverse correlation you mentioned would indicate to me that they are already in the process of the transition to the investments that make up the best portfolio for tomorrow.

BTW - I finally had some time to read the "Implications to flawless Model 3 launch and ramp to stock price" thread you started. Very informative and well written. Thank you for your efforts!

Status
Not open for further replies.