Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wrote 305$ 5/19 puts last week feeling pretty confident all the way until this morning. Sheesh what a day. Might need to bail on them Soon.
The market (and TSLA) are down because of uncertainty about a possible Trump impeachment. Getting emotional and bailing out now is more likely to be an emotional move than a rational one, unless you know some more detail about the political situation than we all do :).

Yes, it could get worse. But at this point the market is pricing in more uncertainty, and it's nothing to do with TSLA. Maybe tomorrow they'll start impeachment proceedings, and (believe it or not) that could even rally the stock price. Or maybe Tesla/Elon will announce/tweet something and TSLA will move against the market. So sucking up your loss now might not be the right thing to do. As of now, they will still expire worthless on Friday, which is your desired outcome, unless TSLA falls further.

This is not meant to be trading advice since I'd probably do what you're contemplating too... that's why I don't get into these situations.

I'm sure most people here already know this, but on days like this, it's important to set aside political views and keep in mind the distinction between market price (what you check online every 5 seconds) vs. intrinsic value (present value of discounted cash flows). The former is a lot more volatile than the latter, and this can be used to a long-term investor's advantage.

Last edited:
The market (and TSLA) are down because of uncertainty about a possible Trump impeachment. Getting emotional and bailing out now is more likely to be an emotional move than a rational one, unless you know some more detail about the political situation than we all do :).

Yes, it could get worse. But at this point the market is pricing in more uncertainty, and it's nothing to do with TSLA. Maybe tomorrow they'll start impeachment proceedings, and (believe it or not) that could even rally the stock price. Or maybe Tesla/Elon will announce/tweet something and TSLA will move against the market. So sucking up your loss now might not be the right thing to do. As of now, they will still expire worthless on Friday, which is your desired outcome, unless TSLA falls further.

This is not meant to be trading advice since I'd probably do what you're contemplating too... that's why I don't get into these situations.
yeah, im holding tight, but if it doesnt settle down tomorrow, ill have to bail simply cause i cant afford the puts be exercised at close friday.

On days like this, it's important to set aside political views and keep in mind the distinction between market price (what you check online every 5 seconds) vs. intrinsic value (present value of discounted cash flows). The former is a lot more volatile than the latter, and this can be used to a long-term investor's advantage.
Remember the days following 9/11? I do. Luckily I was too involved dealing with client crises so I ignored my own rampant fears. My smart colleague bought three apartments in Battery Park City during the following weeks.
Today is mild, the sort of modest overreaction that hits every indeterminate bad news. The mistake will be seeing this through any given political lens; that will make it worse! I quit looking just to avoid overreacting myself.

Am I doing this right?
rGmKedT.png

I'm dollar cost averaging this dip. Spent half my money on DIM LEAPS today. If it is dropping again tomorrow morning, I will try to wait a little, and then buy more when it looks like the bottom. If it looks stable and starts to go up, then I will jump in with the rest. I love buying opportunities, regardless of whether they come from misguided analysts, or macro events like the Dems going after Trump.

Sorry, realized I was thinking of a screencap of a Bloomberg terminal feed from a trader I follow, not a Bloomberg article. Anyway here's Watergate:

View attachment 227284

And here's an article digging in a little more:
Here's what the stock market did during Watergate — and why

Conversely, Clinton's impeachment turmoil had a less severe and lengthy affect on markets. Granted, that was in the midst of the dot-com boom.
Investors Have One Question On Their Minds: Trump? - The Big Picture
what a cool post.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.