Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll attempt an answer. Netflix is literally eating cables lunch. For a long time, the big networks have had exclusive control over what shows get made, what get continued and what people have to pay. Netflix is now in a position where they don't just have a massive back catalog, but they can go and make brand new content, appealing to markets that were never catered to before.

Traditional cable companies only cares about viewers to sell adverts but Netflix cares about viewers to sell their story to.

Netflix is another great example of an industry distrupter, exactly like Tesla, iPhone and iTunes.

mmm... not so sure about that. I think FB is looking to get into that space, and unlike Amazon, they may be able to eat Netflix's lunch.

It's not clear what durable competitive advantage Netflix has, if any. They don't benefit from "network effect" like FB or AMZN does, or they don't have TSLA's insane lead on battery manufacturing capacity.

I'm looking to expand my service to include FB, AMZN, GOOG, NFLX etc., but for now, is there another thread where we can discuss other stocks?

Last edited:
Reactions: everman
Shares availability data from Fidelity suggest that yesterday was a net covering day (195k shares or so). It seems that a bounce convinced some short sellers that it is time to cover. Availability of shares today is significantly lower than yesterday, perhaps because in Fidelity's view the demand for borrowing will be much lower, so they are better off finding other uses for the shares.

snap1.png

I'm looking to expand my service to include FB, AMZN, GOOG, NFLX etc., but for now, is there another thread where we can discuss other stocks?
I find that TMC has a lot of very smart people, so would love to see a dedicated thread to other stock picks. Tesla will be my main stock for many years to come, but sometimes I want to play the dips and would like to enter another stock.

mmm... not so sure about that. I think FB is looking to get into that space, and unlike Amazon, they may be able to eat Netflix's lunch.

It's not clear what durable competitive advantage Netflix has, if any. They don't benefit from "network effect" like FB or AMZN does, or they don't have TSLA's insane lead on battery manufacturing capacity.

I'd concede that NFLX's moat isn't as big as FB/AMZN/GOOG's are, but the systems and software that it actually takes to run NFLX's service to their millions of customers are non-trivial, and require a lot of capital to build and maintain. Additionally, there's a fair amount of behind the scenes magic that handles different internet connections and adjusts the quality accordingly so it doesn't matter if you try to access their service on basic 5 mbps cable internet or full 1gbps fiber, you still get a smooth UX without buffering.

Furthermore, you have to be able to negotiate contracts with the content producers. Many of whom have granted NFLX exclusivity online.

You're missing something important.

The rush hour isn't going to spread out enough to relieve congestion; people have been predicting that since the 1960s and it does not happen. No reason to think that'll change.

It's quite possible that prices will drop in the off-peak. But in the peak in a big city, it's *already* true that nobody who's in a hurry and can take mass transit takes an invididual car, to crawl through congestion at 5 mph. Buses are clearly inferior to trains, and buses in mixed traffic are already hopeless because of the cars getting in their way and reducing them to the same speed, but buses in bus lanes or carpool lanes (Market Street anyone?) still have an advantage over cars.

Think of the rich people who own 2, or more, cars and have been commuting on the LIRR for the last 100 years because you have to be insane to drive into Manhattan. Their cars are actually used by them *off-peak only*.

Now, this does raise a possible scenario: maybe I'm wrong about the price -- maybe ride share will be cheaper than the bus during peak hours *because it's worse than the bus*. People will be riding into work on mass transit and allowing their cars to be rented out at peak hours. Anyone who rents that car out will be caught slogging through traffic slowly at rush hour and will be getting inferior service to the people in the bus lanes -- so it'll cost less because it's inferior.

The fundamental issue is that rideshare cannot handle the commuting market. In the peak commute hours, either it'll be a high-priced luxury service for a few, or it'll be a low-priced junk service for those with a lot of time to kill, but there's no way for it to replace *mass* transit, because it can't move a *mass*. As long as there's a mass to move, the service which has the economies of scale will be the cheapest to operate and will have the lowest unsubsidized price. (And yes, trains do that much better than buses, but buses get the same indirect government subsidies as cars -- the subsidies for the asphalt roads -- so they'll probably hang around in the US until we start treating railroad tracks as something we should fund out of property tax. Incidentally this is also why Musk's tunnel company is doomed unless it goes for government contracts; it's very hard to run a profitable toll road against a large network of free roads funded out of property-tax, especially when your toll road has *tunnel* expenses too -- the only way to counteract that is economies of scale and he doesn't have them with cars.)
a data point for you @neroden are the "Slug lines" in washington DC, where hitch hikers have been queue'ing up for 15-20 years to get 20-30 miles outside of DC by catching a ride to get 3-4 in the vehicle to get legally on the express lanes. they were self organizing and spontaneous, almost an emergent phenomena, coalescing to fill a need

• Informative
Reactions: T3SLA3 and madodel
So, funny folllowup -- does anyone think there's a carmaker out there which has secretly replaced its entire lineup with true serial hybrids, *without telling anyone*, with the inverter and plug for charging it simply hidden, and with software designed to make them shake and have a confused torque curve like an automatic transmission?

(I somehow doubt it)
No, but Nissan did do something similar with the Continuously Variable Transmissions in their vehicles, changing them from a smooth operation to a more "geared" type feel because people were confused with how the CVT worked. Personally I think they should have a button to switch between the two modes, naming them "smooth" and "traditional." Anyhow, I'll shut up from now on this, as this is off-topic.

The fundamental issue is that rideshare cannot handle the commuting market. In the peak commute hours, either it'll be a high-priced luxury service for a few, or it'll be a low-priced junk service for those with a lot of time to kill, but there's no way for it to replace *mass* transit, because it can't move a *mass*.

In my opinion you are wrong. Autonomous rideshare can and would absolutely handle the commuting market, because it's the commuting market that _is_ the traffic.

All of those people who currently slog their way through congestion in dense cities will face a choice:
(1) buy a basic car and slog
(2) buy a car with an advanced driver assistance to slog less sloggy
(3) buy an autonomous car and do something else while you ride
(4) ride by yourself in an autonomous taxi and do something else while you ride
(5) ride with others in an autonomous taxi and do something else while you ride

And all of the people who currently use inconvenient hub-based, low-cost mass transit could choose to pay a bit more for more convenient point-to-point service offered by autonomous ride-sharing.

Because commute is peak travel, if you want to commute solo in an autonomous taxi you'd be paying the peak prices.
(5) will add some time and lose a little flexibility but it'll be by far the cheapest option. And if you don't have a car, you'll no longer need a garage. (Although you will want a driveway).
For most people (5) would likely not add large amounts of time to their commute because during the rush there are lots of people heading in similar directions. As long as someone has a route that overlaps reasonably you can share.

At least we are beginning the US trading day with the price a bit up. Anybody think they can forecast the days action? I'm debating a modest buy before the price rises too much more.

I loaded up for myself and client accounts below $305, and advised my own clients to buy some in accounts other than with me as well.

But I know my clients' incomes/net worths/risk tolerances/goals etc. so I couldn't advise anyone here. Just telling what I did.

It doesnt actually matter, because if you are able to buy the S and go for the 3 to get a smaller car with similar features at a lower price, then you will likely option the model 3 out to >25% margin anyways, bigger battery, ludicrous if it exists, fully autonomous, dual motor for awd etcpp
As a whole, I would agree, but it probably does cannibalize to an extent.
I couldn't afford a Model S with all the trim options. I could afford a baseline Model S, however. If I could afford a Model S with Autopilot, I probably would spring for one.
I can readily afford a baseline Model 3. I can readily afford a baseline Model 3 with Autopilot. I could reasonably afford a fully decked out Model 3, assuming the price didn't surpass $55k.
Obviously there is a lot more profit margin on that $55k Model 3 than the Model S. So our question as investors is to ask:
Is it better for Tesla to sell a baseline Model S at 28% margin, or a decked out Model 3 at XX%? margin?

What's the margin on the options? Likely higher than on the base model, especially items such as autopilot, which the hardware costs are fixed in either case.

Also in the case of affordability, someone such as myself could afford a Model 3 in 2018 and a Model Y in 2020, but if only Model S was available, I could only get a Model S now and not purchase another Tesla for an extended period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.