Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That filing is just some butthurt investment trust trying to strongarm Tesla into operating with a less passionate board because they don't like the SCTY acquisition and they think that means Tesla's board is too much in bed with Elon.

Its never going to fly. Management (and therefore ~30-40% of the company's voting shares) want to keep the board the way it is. You'd basically need everybody else to say no.

I don't even care if the members of the board aren't terribly independent from Elon - Elon's the one I'm betting on. Without Elon, and his incessant drive for the betterment of humanity, the company does not do nearly as well. I want a board that supports him, not one that will fight him every step of the way just for kicks.

That filing is just some butthurt investment trust trying to strongarm Tesla into operating with a less passionate board because they don't like the SCTY acquisition and they think that means Tesla's board is too much in bed with Elon.

Its never going to fly. Management (and therefore ~30-40% of the company's voting shares) want to keep the board the way it is. You'd basically need everybody else to say no.

I don't even care if the members of the board aren't terribly independent from Elon - Elon's the one I'm betting on. Without Elon, and his incessant drive for the betterment of humanity, the company does not do nearly as well. I want a board that supports him, not one that will fight him every step of the way just for kicks.

I like the board the way it is as well. I'm voting with management's recommendation.

I really love this idea. But don't think you need to go to the level of secrecy and I liked the other points mentioned by @anticitizen13.7, too:

The point is not to have a "secret" moat but to have a moat that unfolds its true power only in hindsight. From where I sit, I think that Tesla has at least 3 of these moats right now.

1) First one is the Gigafactory (no other car maker seems to have that, which means that once electric cars scale beyond single digits market shares all of them have nothing to scale production).
2) The Supercharger network: No other car will be able to travel as well as Tesla can do that. Remember how long Verizon leveraged their superior network? That's gonna be Tesla. With the difference that Teslas can charge at any Supercharges + every other charger that any Bolt can charge on. This like a Verizon phone being able to talk on the Verizon network + on any AT&T etc. network.
3) Autonomy: By the time the software is ready for autonomy they will have tens of thousands of autonomy capable cars on the road already. Frankly, even if the Mercedes E-Class would be as good as the Tesla Autopilot, they couldn't develop a network of autonomous car sharing cars at the speed of Tesla.

Especially 3) I see as crucial. In 2019 and following Tesla will have thousands of full-autonomy capable "young but used" cars dropping out of leasing contracts that would be a cheap and powerful way to bolster the Tesla Network in big cities such as NYC/SFO/LA etc. Best ist, all of this is in plain sight. And no many competitors seem to make moves to narrow these moats.

@SebastianR ~ very well laid out. To make your platform more sustainable, I would add one more leg "We the People." While a low end stock envestor and having cashed in my M3 option for an MX, people like me are chomping at the bit to be apart of the revolution. With the forth leg what we see in the current environment is Bambi's mother has been shot and he must tackle the world on his own. Bambi's horns are forming and provided the M3 launch flys smoothly we will witness the first branch

FYI ~ we haul bricks, and about to try a tree in our MX

Possible explanation for the current hike in stock price:

A team of analysts from Morgan Stanley on Thursday published an updated list of the bank's "Shared Autonomous 30" — a group of companies that the team thinks will influence a big transition from a world in which vehicles are sold to a world in which more emphasis is placed in how much vehicles are driven.

"The 100-year-old auto industry business model is facing unprecedented technological disruption, starting with the very definition of the market itself — moving from 'millions of units sold' annually to 'trillions of miles traveled' annually by the global car parc," the analysts wrote.

"Shared, autonomous and electric mobility," they added "addresses many of the shortcomings of the current industry model, including low utilization (cars are used 4% of the day with an available seat mile utilization of barely 1%), consumption of finite resources (cars consume nearly 400 billion gallons of fuel per year, accounting for 45% of US oil demand), and public safety (roughly 3,500 traffic fatalities per day globally)."

But here's where things get truly alarming for the traditional automakers.

"Morgan Stanley's US Research team settled on 30 US stocks," the note read, "all rated either Overweight or Equal-weight, across 14 industries, that the analysts believe are favorably exposed to growth opportunities in the execution of a shared, autonomous, electric ecosystem, or are favorably positioned to the adjacent data and content opportunities that are enabled by a business model that liberates hundreds of billions of consumer hours for monetization."

Source: Morgan Stanley's latest prediction about the future of self-driving cars should terrify automakers

Does anybody have a link to Morgan Stanley's actual release note?

A team of analysts from Morgan Stanley on Thursday published an updated list of the bank's "Shared Autonomous 30" — a group of companies that the team thinks will influence a big transition from a world in which vehicles are sold to a world in which more emphasis is placed in how much vehicles are driven.

"The 100-year-old auto industry business model is facing unprecedented technological disruption, starting with the very definition of the market itself — moving from 'millions of units sold' annually to 'trillions of miles traveled' annually by the global car parc," the analysts wrote.

"Shared, autonomous and electric mobility," they added "addresses many of the shortcomings of the current industry model, including low utilization (cars are used 4% of the day with an available seat mile utilization of barely 1%), consumption of finite resources (cars consume nearly 400 billion gallons of fuel per year, accounting for 45% of US oil demand), and public safety (roughly 3,500 traffic fatalities per day globally)."

"Morgan Stanley's US Research team settled on 30 US stocks," the note read, "all rated either Overweight or Equal-weight, across 14 industries, that the analysts believe are favorably exposed to growth opportunities in the execution of a shared, autonomous, electric ecosystem, or are favorably positioned to the adjacent data and content opportunities that are enabled by a business model that liberates hundreds of billions of consumer hours for monetization."

Source: Morgan Stanley's latest prediction about the future of self-driving cars should terrify automakers

Ford and GM just tanked starting at 11:06 EDT. Might be related to this?

I poked around and it seems as though that note dates from last September. Is this the same thing?

Morgan Stanley Wealth Management Global Investment Solutions Launches New UIT Portfolio

Impact of Autonomous Cars on 9 Sectors

What? You mean it wasn't just VW going rogue? Everyone was cheating on the the emissions tests?

This is what happens when you try to push green tech by mandating unrealistic performance from old tech, and then don't properly measure that it is actually achieving it.

Also: wasn't this immediately apparent back when dieselgate first started, and basically all of the automakers said to the EPA "oh, if you're actually going to test our cars, we want the benchmarks to be like 15% more lenient."

Last edited:
Tesla does no advertising which is the lifeblood of the newspaper business. In Los Angeles auto dealerships are particularly big advertisers in newspapers. There is a notorious New York short seller of Tesla who has learned that the Los Angles Times acts on his tips. Elon does live in Los Angeles; perhaps he failed to salute a Times reporter.

Meanwhile, the UAW has been creating propaganda in its attempt to unionize Tesla. Most of the media have been ignoring what appears to be a questionable UAW campaign, but a few need the clicks and can be counted on to spread whatever is handed to them.

I'd add (as a reluctant daily reader of, and subscriber to, the LA Times) the Times Business section editor seems to have an anti-renewables/pro-fossil fuels bent. I think this bleeds into the anti-Tesla bias and encourages Russ Mitchell even more.

It's at $240 for Jan 18.....

Does that mean anything would you say? Or is max pain more of a short-term phenomenon?[/QUOT
A +20% in one day is achievable when the M3 official launch of deliveries and production will happen.
I like my coffee beans roasted slow and steady :) -- that & I have sold calls on my non-core positions :)

• Funny
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Share price taking off like a SpaceX rocket in the last 30 minutes. The only news I see is the filing of the Connecticut Retirement Plan Trust.
Tesla - Notice of Exempt Solicitation

That filing does not look to me like great news for the company, although it could be spun either way. Does anybody see a link to share price? Or any other news?
Thanks for the link. I had no clue what "declassification of the board of directors" meant. I frequently vote for stockholder proposals if they make sense, but this one is stupid.

What is your strike price for the calls you sold?
I closed previous June positions for like 0.05 and resold 420[Aug for like 2$, 430 for like 2$] and 470 Sept again for approx 2$ .. sold on different days past 2-4 weeks

To hit 420 by Aug, means Tesla would need to move by like 35% .. More than OK with that

btw: selling calls only on my non-core positions, for like 1/3 of total.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
Status
Not open for further replies.