Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What better use would they have for these shares?

Returning them to their owners so they don't have to pay interest on shares no one is borrowing. This reasoning is based on the fact that my shares were borrowed by Fidelity on Friday and returned this morning.

Maybe they anticipated shorts would make a stand against the ATH today. That might mean that Fidelity's available shares are based on their brokers' best guess of what demand for shares to borrow will be on a given day, balanced against the interest they have to pay to lenders to have the shares to make available.

All in all, it seems that there was a lot of confusion among the short sellers. They do not seem to feel the heat yet, or just paralyzed by the swift action in the direction opposite to their convention.

I think that if we will indeed see inverse head and shoulder pattern mentioned by @Curt Renz play out with the target around $360, there will be a lot of short sellers seriously hurting. I personally am not in a hurry, let them stay a little longer.
You mean like telling the frog, I mean shorts, please stay in the pot, isn't the water nice and cozy. Don't worry about the heat....

Cobos

MODERATOR NOTICE:

This is specifically to TT007: Make available your TMC account profile at once to permit "Conversations" or you will be either:

* Banned from posting on TMC, or

* Subjected to in-thread questions & discussions, and were you not to answer these open displays you will be banned regardless.

This notice goes more generally to ALL Investor Sector participants: You also need to ensure your TMC account profile is set so that you can participate in the "Conversation" mode; you also all must so comply or you too will face banishment if a Moderator attempts to initiate a Conversation but finds it blocked.

====> There is NO 'publicity' or any other kind of information leakage that occurs when a "Conversation" mode is set to open. It simply is an unfortunate glitch in the platform TMC uses.<=====

FIRST, LAST & ONLY WARNING
Might want to tag @TrendTrader007 so he actually sees this.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
What better use would they have for these shares?

Good question. Here's my thought experiment:

1) Sell them for a profit--make money, lose shares.
2) Use the shares as collateral--get money, lock shares up.
..................This includes using them for selling covered calls........
..................Or just borrowing money from the bank against the shares................
3) Leave shares alone to appreciate--make no immediate money, but assuming rising prices will boost books.

4) Lend shares for shorts--we can assume they are not doing this based on @vgrinshpun's data.

anything else I am missing?

Reactions: D-egg-O
Adam Jonas today, in another note, two weeks after his downgrade to EW:

Share price appreciation and the concept of escape velocity. Sometimes it takes an extreme valuation milestone to create a collective ‘wake-up call’ as to what really is the underlying driver of a stock price. Some of our clients who felt Tesla was a short at a $20bn market cap are now staring at a stock worth materially more than Ford. How could the stock market do this? What is the stock market telling us? Some of the same investors we speak with today may still have a negative bias as to Tesla’s ability to fund itself as a car manufacturer, but are beginning to ask if there could be other forces at work. Is Tesla even trying to be a car company? Tesla is spending $4bn to $5bn per year on R&D + Capex. This is enough money to build 3 large auto plants. Surely this money can’t be directed at making cars. But these are real dollars... where is it all going? Is the size of the debate taking on a self-fulfilling quality whereby the company can fundamentally achieve an escape velocity that could see it being a self- financing/self-sustaining enterprise?

Adam Jonas today, in another note, two weeks after his downgrade to EW:

Share price appreciation and the concept of escape velocity.
... Tesla is spending $4bn to $5bn per year on R&D + Capex. This is enough money to build 3 large auto plants. Surely this money can’t be directed at making cars. But these are real dollars... where is it all going? Is the size of the debate taking on a self-fulfilling quality whereby the company can fundamentally achieve an escape velocity that could see it being a self- financing/self-sustaining enterprise?

I'm sorry, but from where did he get these numbers? The R&D expenses and capexes are clearly stated in shareholder letters, and also noted in SEC filings. Does Adam Jonas read these reports? Total R&D spending in 2016 was $833M (Q1 $182M, Q2 $191M, Q3 $214M, Q4 $246M). Q4 2015 was $190M and Q1 2017 was $322M. That's an average of $224M per quarter, or ~$900M a year.

Below are the capex numbers from Tesla's own Q4 2016 letter (highlighting mine). Capex has actually decreased compared to 2015. Capex of $1.2B + R&D of $833M doesn't reach $4bn to $5bn. IMHO, Adam Jonas is better off sticking to his 2025 and 2030 numbers that can't be fact checked for years.

Such a noted analyst surely could put these numbers next to other automakers' numbers to give us some reference points.
As for his question on where the money is going; he should probably read the SEC filings and quarterly reports.

tsla_capex_2015_2016.JPG

Last edited:
Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Has been a tremendous run the last few trading sessions, but we have the SHolders meeting next week, which could, once again, push things in either direction.

A re-affirmation of M3 schedule would surely be a positive, but we saw in Q1ER that this had little impact.

On the other hand, I get the impression that there's a continual expectation for Elon to pull a golden, battery-defecating unicorn from his posterior every time, and if this doesn't happen we could could see a pull-back.

WDWT?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Has been a tremendous run the last few trading sessions, but we have the SHolders meeting next week, which could, once again, push things in either direction.

A re-affirmation of M3 schedule would surely be a positive, but we saw in Q1ER that this had little impact.

On the other hand, I get the impression that there's a continual expectation for Elon to pull a golden, battery-defecating unicorn from his posterior every time, and if this doesn't happen we could could see a pull-back.

WDWT?

Dont forget 2-3june

Tesla will host a private viewing of the Model 3 during VIP tour for referral winners

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast

WDWT?

Has there been any instance of shareholders meeting comments pushing the stock down?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but from where did he get these numbers? The R&D expenses and capexes are clearly stated in shareholder letters, and also noted in SEC filings. Does Adam Jonas read these reports? Total R&D spending in 2016 was $833M (Q1 $182M, Q2 $191M, Q3 $214M, Q4 $246M). Q4 2015 was $190M and Q1 2017 was $322M. That's an average of $224M per quarter, or ~$900M a year.

Below are the capex numbers from Tesla's own Q4 2016 letter (highlighting mine). Capex has actually decreased compared to 2015. Capex of $1.2B + R&D of $833M doesn't reach $4bn to $5bn. IMHO, Adam Jonas is better off sticking to his 2025 and 2030 numbers that can't be fact checked for years.

Such a noted analyst surely could put these numbers next to other automakers' numbers to give us some reference points.
As for his question on where the money is going; he should probably read the SEC filings and quarterly reports.

View attachment 229062

He is talking in present tense, while you are playing with numbers from the past. Alternative fact checking?

Based on Q1 shareholder's letter, the projected Q2 R&D and CapEx come up to $1B, which is $4B yearly rate. Looks like AJ assumes that these projections are low, and, therefore, is giving a range of $4 to $5B.

Your #covfefe may vary.

snap1.png

Can anyone with professional trading experience, or an individual with high confidence of correct knowledge, please answer the following questions?
  1. What will it take for a short squeeze to materialize (certain price level? volume? news?)
  2. Is it possible to predict how long a short squeeze will last?
  3. Is it possible to predict how high the stock will go?
  4. Is it possible to predict how low the stock will drop following a short squeeze, if at all?
  5. What else should I be asking you?
Thank you in advance.

IF a short squeeze ensues in the coming days/weeks, everyone should keep in mind that the stock will be extremely volatile, and 10-50% swings in stock price will occur.

I currently have a moderate amount of margin, and I intend to gradually allow the margin percentage to decline throughout a short squeeze, while I continue to hold my core position for several years.

I am NOT going to try to time a short squeeze.

I am NOT going to over-leverage to the extent that a 50% downswing can wipe me off.

It's better to make some money than get greedy and lose it all even if your long-term call was right.

How long does the price mellow around $335? I suspect $350 will be our next big jump. All in good time.

BTW, I have come to accept that speculating about short squeezes is a huge wast of time. To easily longs just project their own outlook on those who have a fundamentally different outlook. So we are pretty much doomed to see what we hope to see or fear to see. I think the better questions are about what motivates longs to buy more stock. Here at least we are more self-reflective, self-aware, self-critical. Am I ready to buy at this price? If not, what am I waiting to see? At what price would I be ready to sell? If I am holding, what am I waiting for?

For my part, I'd like to see the price solidify and drop back to $300 before I acquire more. That said I'm waiting for retirement to sell of little chunks. If I am going to acquire more, it's got to be at a discount.

Last edited:
It is trading at all time high in pre market right now at $336.60. If we get a similar run today as yesterday this is going to be a tough week for shorts.

I think the SHolders meeting next week only will bring positive news. In my experience Elon doesn't let the public know about delays and problems unless ha has to.

Reactions: T3slaTulips
Status
Not open for further replies.