Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That appears to be old news from mid-May. Online websites have been recirculating it in recent days, and in this case left out the original date. Note that despite reiterating the Outperform rating, the price target is under the current price and that of yesterday's close.
Streetinsider.com is not one of these websites recirculating old news. The note was issued today. It is not from mid-May.

snap1.png

EDIT: Surfside beat me to it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Except it was the crash in oil during Aug 2015 that triggered the massive selloff in China's markets... which then triggered massive selloffs around the world... so... it's kind of a giant ball of ...
Yes, and that was enormously stupid of the markets and made for some of the best buying opportunities of the year.

I mean. Tesla at 145 for heaven's sake. I made 72% in 2 months or so thanks to the market participants being manic depressive idiots when it comes to oil. I am just saying you would think that the "pros" would have learned by now. Oil demand will fall, supply will continue to outstrip it, and it will continue to mean nothing to the actual economy because oil is no longer a major driver.

I do hope we get another massive market sell of when oil hits 38 or lower, I love buying SPY, GEX, TSLA, NDVA, AMZN on the discount rack.

Why?

Cyclical with the heating season, or do you expect some kind of massive production cut in the US/Canada/Iran to give control back to OPEC?

Not the place for this, but in summary: I expect global oil demand to continue to increase this summer (and for the next decade), and I expect NOPEC ex-US supply to continue to decrease at a high decline rate. US shale can't meet that gap on its own, so prices must rise.

I hope publish an article on this some time this week.

BMW is in trouble!

Even BMW's hometown may ban older diesel cars
<Snip>

Now, Bloomberg reports the city of Munich, Germany, may be next to ban older diesel cars—a move that would strike close to home for BMW.

BMW and other German luxury brands count on diesel vehicles to help meet stringent emission standards.

But further action against newer diesels, or a shift in customer preference, may make C02 emission targets for 2020 unachievable.

Diesel-powered cars and SUVs accounted for 71 percent of BMW's sales in Europe during the first four months of this year.

That figure, however, has already fallen 4.2 percent from the comparable 2016 figure.

Until this year, most European diesel vehicles are not equipped with the urea-injection exhaust treatment systems found in diesels sold in the United States since 2009 (with the notable exception of some VW models.

Only newer vehicles have begun receiving the selective catalytic reduction equipment that will allow them to comply with the latest Euro 6b standards.

A BMW spokesperson, unsurprisingly, offered a rebuttal to banning older diesel vehicles.

He argued the ban won't solve long-term issues and reiterated the fuel's importance to meet even more stringent carbon-emission standards coming in 2020.
<Snip>

Not true - there was a new Baird note yesterday following management meetings.

surfside
Streetinsider.com is not one of these websites recirculating old news. The note was issued today. It is not from mid-May.

View attachment 232005

EDIT: Surfside beat me to it.

Please show us a new Baird note from yestereday or today, and not just Streetinsider's list pointing to its own article published today.

These earlier sources noted Baird's Outperform rating for TSLA and $368 price target that Steetinsider wrote about today:

ElecTrek, May 24: Tesla’s stock (TSLA) could surge to over $500 with a successful launch of Model 3 production, says Baird

Benzinga, May 24: Does Tesla's Blue Sky Valuation (NASDAQ:TSLA) Still Leave Room For Upside?

Cerbat Gem, June 18, but saying note was issued May 15: Robert W. Baird Reaffirms Outperform Rating for Tesla Inc. (TSLA)

Please show us a new Baird note from yestereday or today, and not just Streetinsider's list pointing to its own article published today.

These earlier sources noted Baird's Outperform rating for TSLA and $368 price target that Steetinsider wrote about today:

ElecTrek, May 24: Tesla’s stock (TSLA) could surge to over $500 with a successful launch of Model 3 production, says Baird

Benzinga, May 24: Does Tesla's Blue Sky Valuation (NASDAQ:TSLA) Still Leave Room For Upside?

Cerbat Gem, June 18, but saying note was issued May 15: Robert W. Baird Reaffirms Outperform Rating for Tesla Inc. (TSLA)

Streetinsider.com is a paid service, not click-bait site. Their list is contemporaneous.

Here is another link independently confirming that Baird note was issued today. These a really not required for people familiar with the StreetInsider.com service, though.

TSLA, MRVL, NVDA Stocks Upgraded Today - Schaeffer's Investment Research

snap1.png

As long as there's no credible news refuting the Bloomberg-sourced story, then yes. This is a bear trap and TSLA should run hard at open

Indeed, Fred. Today the market may have concerns about Bloomberg's sources simply being "people familiar with the matter". However, as you imply a lack of refutation from Tesla or China could be quite telling. I suspect there really is a deal in the works. If so, it will be interesting to see how it is constructed and how the market reacts.

IMO you won't get the "cost less" any time soon.

Better handling, chargingu, acceleration and perhaps range will be enough of an upgrade to justify not reducing the price, if the 21-70's happen to be cheaper to make (which they probably won't be right at the beginning).

If the reduced weight shaves another 10th of a second off the 0-60 it will be another round of awe and wonderment.

Tesla will keep adding functionality to its cars, versus reducing the cost. They will want to increase GM when tpossible. Base price will remain around the $69K-$70K zone.

1. JB said that we tend to believe that because batteries have been expensive in the past that they will always be expensive. He said that is in the process of rapidly changing. It's changing much faster for TSLA than everyone else.

2. We tend to believe that EV's have always cost more than ICE's or that Tesla won't or can't compete on price. See number one. Tesla has somewhat miraculously competed on the basis that EV's are superior to ICE's. What makes anyone believe that when Tesla can build EV's for less that they won't start to compete on price? People who believe that Tesla is going to be threatened by competion and the other oem's attempting to compete with Tesla are all in for an unpleasant surprise.

The only question is when Tesla will reduce their MS-MX prices.

3. We tend to believe that TSLA's SP will always be erratic, but at the same time many of us are confident that the TSLA SP is going to surpass Apple. News flash, it's only going to happen if the SP either has long periods of gradual rises, or shorter periods of parabolic rises, or a combination of both. It's not going to be constructive to get worried about the high SP every time the SP increases.

Last edited:
Streetinsider.com is a paid service, not click-bait site. Their list is contemporaneous.

Here is another link independently confirming that Baird note was issued today. These a really not required for people familiar with the StreetInsider.com service, though.

TSLA, MRVL, NVDA Stocks Upgraded Today - Schaeffer's Investment Research

View attachment 232012

Unlike my days in the financial news business, which was mainly pre-internet, when we verified with original sources, now we see websites simply repeating what they have picked up from other websites. Schaeffer did not state specifically that the Baird reiteration of its TSLA rating was issued today, other than the odd headline referring to "upgrades" today. Please provide verification of a new Baird note, if you have it, from the original Baird source.

In any event, reiterating an Outperform rating with a price target under the current price makes no sense.

Unlike my days in the financial news business, which was mainly pre-internet, when we verified with original sources, now we see websites simply repeating what they have picked up from other websites. Schaeffer did not state specifically that the Baird reiteration of its TSLA rating was issued today, other than the odd headline referring to "upgrades" today. Please provide verification of a new Baird note, if you have it, from the original Baird source.

In any event, reiterating an Outperform rating with a price target under the current price makes no sense.

Perhaps you did not read the Shaeffer's page I linked? It states in the heading: "Analysts are weighing in on electric vehicle maker Tesla Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA), as well as chip stocks Marvell Technology Group Ltd. (NASDAQ:MRVL) and NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ:NVDA). Here's a quick roundup of today's bullish brokerage notes on shares of TSLA, MRVL, and NVDA."

Here is another article about today's note from Ben Kallo of Baird, this time from the Barrons: Tesla: Opportunities, Opportunities, Opportunities

As I mentioned, all of these other references are not required for anybody familiar with Streetinsider.com. Once again it is paid service, and they simply do not publish summary of old notes.

EDIT: Another thing about the Streetinsider.com (I've been a subscriber to their service at times) is that they get and publish excerpts/summary of salient points of actual notes, not regurgitate info from other websites.

Last edited:
So I've been enjoying learning about short-term stuff for fun, even though I'm a long-term investor.

The current pattern is funky. We've had multiple days in a row of very high volume gaps up in premarket followed by drops back down to "yesterday's price" during the day. This is *really* odd.

My best guess is that it's short-sellers getting margin calls in the evening and hastily buying to cover as soon as possible in premarket, with the distribution of traders reverting to "normal" later in the day. I'm sure there are other possibilities but this is such a weird pattern, and that would seem to explain it.

Well, I just listened to the O'Neil book a few weeks ago. And the fictional buy point looked like $375, With the idea that weak holders will be out by the time it passes $375 again. All these short sellers (borrowing shares from committed longs) may be creating an almost infinite supply of weak holders.

So the price demand response is not as stiff as I would expect.

(As you all know, I just started doing this in April as a way to honor a buy commitment on a Model 3, so all statements are largely unsupportable.)

Reactions: neroden
Last edited:
Bears starting commenting on my article. I can use some help in the comments, but PLEASE DO NOT SINK DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.

Anyone with informed views, and the patience of a buddha, is welcome and encouraged to join the discussion.

I just tell them they're very smart, tell them to short it even more and congratulate them ahead of time on how much money they're going to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.