Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is only one line shared for S/X as well. My guess is that it's not so much one linear line and that there are stations in the line where 2 or more cars are being built in parallel for slower processes so that the rest of the line doesn't have to show down to the level of slowest process. I could certainly be wrong about that though.

I would split after paint and never come back together. Mostly to keep the material feed manageable and avoid internal material handling. The idea is the robot picks from a truck and somehow you have to get rid of the old pallet and put a new one in.

• Informative
Reactions: T3SLA3
Technicals are pretty well setup for a fall. Its not that unlikely we see the low 350s. If anyone is thinking about us breaking 400 this week, I'd be a little careful about betting the farm on short term calls. I'm obviously still quite bullish, July is right around the corner, etc etc.

"Not an advice"
Impressive relative strength from TSLA into the close. Didn't even lose the 8 day SMA.

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 4.04.09 PM.png

You don't always need Tesla specific news to explain a dump. Look at how closely TSLA tracks the QQQs today. The only real (nice) divergence that I see is the relative strength of TSLA into the close.

Last edited:
A significant degree of covering.
Not sure what to make of Ihor's S3 data.

Seems like S3 data was fairly close for the period.
https://www.s3partners.net/Research/BestWorst12.php

I don't know if i would classify 6% drop in short interest as a "significant degree of covering" from the previous report.

If you take his 10.8Billion number and divide by closing price on 6/16 you get around 29.2M shares sold short.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: geneclean55
How do you distinguish between trimming and covering? Absolute Short interest is down regardless. Unless the concern is that shorts are just waiting to dive back in.

As the share price rises your short position in dollars grows, so you have to trim a percentage of your position equal to the percentage rise in the share price in order to keep your position from growing.

Turns out that S3 data is lot closer than MarkIt actually.

Exchange data is for trading day of 6/12 - 29,049,111
MarkIt for 6/12 - 26.911 mln
S3 for 6/12 - 29.82 mln

Subsequently S3 suggests that the SI is flat in shares. If this is true, then the rally is largely due to higher demand for shares on the long side.

On one hand I'm disappointed that shorts are not pinned against the wall as I hoped.

But on the other hand, the fire works are yet to come!!!

During the 2013 short covering rally, short interest in shares actually fell by almost 14mln shares(42%) from north of 32mln shares to about 18.5mln shares... That was subsequently replaced by (presumably) newer shorts up in later 2013, which is less relevant.

Last edited:
I've learned to embrace the shorts. FUD and retail short speculators create opportunity for us. It's BECAUSE tesla is such a polarizing story that it has been a great long term investment

AND, on occasion, an intelligent short comes up with valid concerns that should be considered by conviction buyers such as myself.

I certainly don't answer my phone for unknown callers and likewise it's completely pointless to engage trolls. Their just doing their job.

And TSLAs SP should be interesting this week.

As a heavy user of the "i" button, I have to ask: Have any of those intelligent shorts' valid concerns changed your investment strategy? I'm here for information about the cars, the company and the stock, as well as to participate in the community. I just don't want to spend my time reading carbon-industry-funded psy-ops.

Right. I get that.
Sounds very similar to a 'short-covering rally' as described here by others.

Pretty interesting. Only about 2M net shares covered from 2/28-6/15, when the SP went up 50 percent -- from $249.99 to $375.34.

Almost all of the 2M shares covered were between 6/1 and 6/15 so covering has likely had some impact in those two weeks (maybe flat since then based on Ibor's tweet.) Lots of short fuel to speed things along if buying pressure keeps up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.