Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, except the SG&A is not incuded in cost of goods sold (COGS) and not part of gross margin calculation. So it is not apples to apples gross margin comparison against other automakers. Please check the quarterly letters sometimes, Here is from Q4 2016.

From Page 3:

View attachment 232920

From page 7:
$435M/$2284M = 19% gross margin. SG&A has been clubbed in Opex, to artificially inflate the gross margin.
If even half of the SG&A was cost of operating the stores & service centers ( I suspect more) and subtracted from gross profits, the gross margin will be < 10% easily.
What's fishy is that the services revenue is included in total revenue, but its cost is excluded from COGS.

View attachment 232921
I stated that there were two things. One was the gross margin did not include research and development and two that SG&A were high. You replied to my post stating that this did not account for dealership costs as if there were a third item. That is obviously not the case. It is just the two things that I stated in the original post.

You are also missing the fact that other car makers sell to dealers at ~90% of MSRP, while Tesla books that 10% in its own gross margin.
Subtract 10% from Tesla's gross margin for a fair comparison.
So, if Tesla GM is 23%, it is really13% when comparing to others.

Sure. Take it off, then add back the dealerships' gross margin, and operating margin, and net income margin.

Even better for Tesla.

Stop trolling unsuspecting people. I don't know how you sleep at night.

I stated that there were two things. One was the gross margin did not include research and development and two that SG&A were high. You replied to my post stating that this did not account for dealership costs as if there were a third item. That is obviously not the case. It is just the two things that I stated in the original post.

He's just trolling you and wasting everyone's time. This is what they do.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
You really are uninformed about Tesla eh?
Quoting incorrect article doesn't make it correct - I remember reading this article at the time and thinking "there is no real journalism anymore, these internet hacks can screw up even the simplest pieces of information".
Yup, I read EVERYTHING about Tesla - I'm watching that basket with all my eggs really carefully...
so... why don't you tell us what the "truth" is then... with references.

As a heavy user of the "i" button, I have to ask: Have any of those intelligent shorts' valid concerns changed your investment strategy? I'm here for information about the cars, the company and the stock, as well as to participate in the community. I just don't want to spend my time reading carbon-industry-funded psy-ops.

Exactly. All the FUDsters (I bet they're not even short the stock) do is misdirect discussion and waste everyone's time.

They are not here to learn or teach, they are here to destruct.

??? Do you have comprehension issues? SG&A high/low is immaterial. Part of the SG&A needs to be included in COGS to make gross margin comparison to other car makers.. I did not say it is a third item. That is irrelevant.

• Funny
Reactions: D-egg-O
Yeah, except the SG&A is not incuded in cost of goods sold (COGS) and not part of gross margin calculation. So it is not apples to apples gross margin comparison against other automakers. Please check the quarterly letters sometimes, Here is from Q4 2016.

From Page 3:

View attachment 232920

From page 7:
$435M/$2284M = 19.05 % gross margin. SG&A has been clubbed in Opex, to artificially inflate the gross margin.
If even half of the SG&A was cost of operating the stores & service centers ( I suspect more) and subtracted from gross profits, the gross margin will be < 10% easily.

View attachment 232921

This is another example of complete misdirection that is crystal clear to someone with accounting knowledge.

No company bulks SG&A into COGS. They are always separate.

SG&A includes expenses that are not costs directly related to revenues (such as Tesla stores, executive salaries etc).

COGS includes expenses that are directly related to manufacturing the product and some depreciation of factories etc.

FUDsters (don't call them shorts! because I suspect they are not short the stock in any meaningful way) are just trying to muddy the waters here.

Last edited:
You really are uninformed about Tesla eh?
Quoting incorrect article doesn't make it correct - I remember reading this article at the time and thinking "there is no real journalism anymore, these internet hacks can screw up even the simplest pieces of information".
Yup, I read EVERYTHING about Tesla - I'm watching that basket with all my eggs really carefully...
How about this "article" from Tesla's website:

Tesla - Statement of Beneficial Ownership

"The 8,167,544 shares of Issuer common stock were acquired by the reporting persons in a registered offering of common stock by the Issuer on March 17, 2017 and through open market purchases, for an aggregate purchase price of $1,777,842,836 (including commission)."

yes... I see the "and through open market purchases"... but like I said... Tesla was trading at $218 on Jan 3 and $261 on March 17th... so how is this not a discount when the avg is below the beginning of the quarter of which they were not an investor prior?

Yeah, except the SG&A is not incuded in cost of goods sold (COGS) and not part of gross margin calculation. So it is not apples to apples gross margin comparison against other automakers.

The problem is that the comp is not going to be straight forward for quite some time. Since Tesla is still expanding automotive platforms and segments as well as developing non-automotive products as well as taking on the dealership portion, sorting out what goes into what buckets for a straight comparison is difficult. Tesla is a fleeing automaker with one product that has seen a full development cycle.. 4-7 years and the Model S is now at 5, although once can argue that the vehicle has undergone a lot of R&D. The X is only at the end of year 2. Stationary storage is still a gelding market and the product lineup was just rev'ed. Most of the R&D is on products that aren't yet shipping... Model 3, solar roof, Tesla semi, and others. For major automakers, most are already competing in the market segments they are going to compete in in the near future. Most of their products are already on established cycles. Therefore the gross margin is not directly comparable, but doing the comparison is quite difficult.

Similarity, the assignment of profit and loss is also difficult. The core Model S and Model X business may be in far better shape than many of the critics that merely glance at the financials assume. We don't know how much of the R&D as well as the SG&A to apportion to the relatively mature Model S business, the new Model X business, the mature solar installation, the fledging stationary storage, solar panel and solar roof startup, the semi startup, and the automated driving startup. But clearly Tesla is managing the cash levels to be as aggressive as possible.

nope... Tencent did not exist in the 13Fs prior to Q1... Jan 3 TSLA SP was $218.

"According to a filing, the Chinese firm scooped up 8,167,544 shares for around $1.7 billion ...... The purchase was arranged on March 17, and those now-Tencent-owned shares are worth around $2.2 billion at current market value."

Chinese internet giant Tencent buys 5% of Tesla

March 17, TSLA SP: $261

8.167B shares for $1.7B = ~$210/share.

and you guys were like "Yey!"
March 17 was the secondary offering. Of which, stock amounting to a few hundred million dollars was made available. The rest was convertible notes.
8.2 million shares does not add up to a few hundred million dollars.

Edit: Wait! Aren't you the guy always banging on about Tesla secondaries? This should be your thing...your area of expertise. Right?!

Last edited:
I've learned to embrace the shorts. FUD and retail short speculators create opportunity for us. It's BECAUSE tesla is such a polarizing story that it has been a great long term investment

AND, on occasion, an intelligent short comes up with valid concerns that should be considered by conviction buyers such as myself.

I certainly don't answer my phone for unknown callers and likewise it's completely pointless to engage trolls. Their just doing their job.

And TSLAs SP should be interesting this week.

I have NEVER seen an example of what you said.

All I have seen is constant trolling and waste of time, hijacking of good quality discussion.

Don't let them ruin TMC as they ruined SeekingAlpha.

Parisians seem to love their little bitty electric cars and scooters but surprisingly all over Paris did not see a single Tesla. I bet once M3 comes out there will be huge demand for Tesla there. I also realized that Americans work way too hard compared to the French who seem to take life at a much leisurely pace and seem much healthier and happier than us except for their damn smoking which I can not stand! I bet there is high incidence of Lung Cancer in Paris.
On a side note, as stated earlier I finally added to my position today after my last buy on May 30th and 31st. While it did bring up my cost basis by a few dollars I wanted to increase my position to as much as I can reasonably carry since I'm fully expecting a severe meltup in TSLA shares in short order. If you study the way super stocks move then TSLA chart is pretty much sticking to the script. There are numerous examples of stocks that double or triple in short order and TSLA is acting just like that on daily charts. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 50 to 80% rally from current level over the next 3 months or so. Regardless of the time frame if TSLA goes up by another 50 to 80% or so from here within this year then we're looking at $565 to $678. Actual numbers don't matter, my hypothesis is that if there is a sustained parabolic rise in a relatively short period of time then I'll sell everything, every last share and every last call and get the hell out of dodge for several days to weeks or even couple of months and then buy it back closer to a longer term moving average
Money for nothing and chicks for free
There is no glory in being ultra cautious when the Gods of stock market are smiling on you and wanna give you outstanding profits. Similarly there is no excuse for being super bullish at the end of a major move and giving up 40 to 90% of your profits (stock vs calls) . Only suckers do it
So I'm fearlessly bullish at this time with hugely leveraged portfolio but when the time comes I'll dump this thing like there is no tomorrow
And lots of us posting on this board will act as contrarian indicators
Right now I see more caution than unbridled enthusiasm
When every TDH and their cousin start singing praises of TSLA and extol their obscene paper profits then I'll sell

Last edited:
Can you give a little more detail/info on this conversion rate concerning the X? There were a number of cancellations after the X reveal showing no folding seats. I personally cancelled two.

Well everyone would know now that the seats don't fold and that would be a make or break binary data point.

The 3 is simply way too good of a car to have anything derail it.

I mean 100k gives you a lot of alternatives in the ice world. A4 or 3 Series or Bolt?

Which one of those have super charging and Tesla BEV drive train and px2 drive unit again?

Reactions: TradingInvest
Well everyone would know now that the seats don't fold and that would be a make or break binary data point.

The 3 is simply way too good of a car to have anything derail it.

I mean 100k gives you a lot of alternatives in the ice world. A4 or 3 Series or Bolt?

Which one of those have super charging and Tesla BEV drive train and px2 drive unit again?

I personally feel the '3' will be well received and will sell very well.

That is my opinion but to say 'it is 'simply way to good of a car' sounds like you are stating a fact when (correct me if I am wrong) you and I have not seen the release vehicle, sat in it or driven it.

Last edited:
That's an interesting image. Looks like about 100% of shares outstanding are accounted for on the first page? The remaining 37 pages and us little guys hold the short float? Tencent wanted to beat Baidu and other giants. This really is on the edge isn't it. View attachment 232910

Abu Dhabi sold its TSLA stock a while back -- notice that their last report was in 2012, and I just checked old news reports -- they did sell out.

Without them it only adds up to about 90% of shares outstanding on page one.

Susquehanna International Group is a quant and is messing around with puts and calls, not actual stock. Spreads it looks like (same for Citadel). Actuallly this is interesting because I now know who's most likely buying puts: Susquehanna, UBS, Barclays, Goldman Sachs, Citadel....

Parisians seem to love their little bitty electric cars and scooters but surprisingly all over Paris did not see a single Tesla. I bet once M3 comes out there will be huge demand for Tesla there. I also realized that Americans work way too hard compared to the French who seem to take life at a much leisurely pace and seem much healthier and happier than us except for their damn smoking which I can not stand! I bet there is high incidence of Lung Cancer in Paris.
This confirms your observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.