Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla analyst commentary at Guggenheim Tesla price target raised to $430 from $380 at Guggenheim. Guggenheim analyst Robert Cihra raised his price target for Tesla shares to $430 and reiterates a Buy rating on the name. The stock closed Monday down $8.99 to $352.62. Early production constraints of its new high-end 100kWh battery packs led to Q2 deliveries of just 22,000, below the analyst's 23,900 estimate. The bigger news, however, is Monday's revelation that production of the new Model 3 is on track to start in July, Cihra tells investors in a research note. The analyst believes most thought the target would not be met just a few months ago and he notes the Model 3 represents Tesla's first car to genuinely launch on schedule. He sees two-to-three years of "upside leverage to also now start as volumes ramp off Tesla's high fixed-cost structure". Read more at: Tesla price target raised to $430 from $380 at Guggenheim TSLA - The Fly
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tesla analyst commentary at Bernstein Tesla Q2 delivery data raises 'more questions than answers,' says Bernstein. Bernstein analyst A.M. (Toni) Sacconaghi, Jr says that Tesla's Q2 delivery data was "modestly disappointing." Sacconaghi,says that the data raises several questions, including why the company didn't discuss poor production of its 100 kWh battery on its Q1 earnings call and why it conditioned its delivery forecast on the second half of 2017. The analyst also notes that the company did not provide in-transit vehicle sales, as it usually does. Sacconaghi, suspects that the company's inventory "increased materially" for the third straight quarter, and says that the data "raises more questions than answers, particularly about Model S and Model X demand." However, the analyst says that " the Tesla investment thesis hinges on the success of Model 3." Sacconaghi,keeps a $250 price target and a Market Perform rating on the stock. Read more at: Tesla Q2 delivery data raises 'more questions than answers,' says Bernstein TSLA - The Fly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tesla analyst commentary at Goldman Sachs Tesla price target cut to $180 on Model S/X demand plateau at Goldman Sachs. Goldman Sachs analyst David Tamberrino believes Model S and Model X demand is "plateauing" at around 24K units per quarter. The analyst moved forward his Model 3 production curve by two months due to the soft July launch date which results in a lower vehicle mix profile and lower margins, and drives EBITDA estimates down by an average of 7% for the period of 2017-2020. Tamberrino maintains a Sell rating on Tesla and trimmed his price target to $180 from $190. Read more at: Tesla price target cut to $180 on Model S/X demand plateau at Goldman Sachs TSLA - The Fly

Nope. They probably are one of the groups selling options to retail buyers. This is a way to clear the table sorta speak. Watch what happens a few minutes after the market opens today. The stock should rebound nicely. Trade em well. Not an advice, do your own DD
There are many technical indicators showing that this should be "the bottom" for this dip. I would not be surprised if GS is trying to use their downgrade to try and help TSLA break down through this area as a break through of this area may produce a large drop. If TSLA does break through this level I doubt it will be because of GS and more of it was going to break through anyway as GS has proved their irrelevance concerning TSLA PT for quite a while now.

Wtf is happening pre-market

This was not to be unexpected. SP could very well reverse direction over the next few hours or days but as the Bernstein analyst did point out that we were not given in transit numbers. I do not know about the SC parking lot near where everyone else lives but there were more vehicles, new and used, at my local SC at the end of June than I have ever seen before (esp used)

The SP, IMO, is all about the '3': Positive: On time (know) and exiting Dec at run rate of 5,000/wk (great but still an unknown if it will happen) Negative: Osbourne. I know many people that are only waiting for their '3'. They will not get a CPO or new X or S. This experience may not be happening in your area so I acknowledge that this is a small sample size.

Long term: TSLA will do very well

Short term: Rocky road IMO

Tesla shares remain overvalued, says Cowen Cowen analyst Jeffrey Osborne notes that Tesla's Q2 deliveries came in 2,500 units below his expectations due to a production issue on 100 kWh batteries. Regarding Tesla CEO Elon Musk's tweets on Model 3 production, Osborne wrote, "While it is nice to see Tesla finally hit a stated target on time, we question whether 30 vehicle deliveries essentially built by hand count as 'mass production' and we also are surprised that this 'mass market' vehicle does not have official photos, options, pricing or really any details available (we expect this on Friday)." The analyst continues to view Model 3 ramp expectations as aggressive. He models for 4,500 Model 3 deliveries in 2017 and 62,500 in 2018. Osborne believes Tesla shares are overvalued and keeps an Underperform rating on the name with a $155 price target.

Tesla Q2 deliveries 'good enough,' says Baird Baird analyst Ben Kallo says Tesla's s Q2 deliveries were "good enough" and in line with the lower end of the company's guidance. He believes investors will look forward to the Model 3 introduction on July 28. The analyst keeps an Outperform rating on the shares with a $368 price target.

Read more at:
Tesla Q2 deliveries 'good enough,' says Baird TSLA - The Fly

Tesla shares could still rise in near-term, says KeyBanc KeyBanc analyst Brad Erickson says that Tesla's delivery report confirms his thesis that " demand run-rates for Tesla's high-end products is plateauing, if not peaking." However, the analyst believes that the stock could rise in the near-term because the Model 3 remains on schedule. But the analyst says that "as we get closer to 2018...the stock will reflect more rational investors views," based on his forecast that "half the profit pool is no longer growing and Model 3 profitability appears unlikely to meet expectations," Erickson keeps a Sector Weight rating on the stock.

Read more at:
Tesla shares could still rise in near-term, says KeyBanc TSLA - The Fly

Honestly I'm totally disgusted by GS. What good does it do them to contradict TSLA where their ideas are the future as we know it. They talking up about it can actually support an American firm where everything is American made. But no, they have to lose their clients' money by talking down the inevitable. I really hope they crash and burn like back in 2008 and no one is willing to help them this time.

Last edited:
I've seen this story played out several times over the past couple years and the only thing I can figure is that all these "good news" items are being baked into the stock price prematurely. And in this last case, causing the huge run up we saw. I don't care how many regulations are in place, someone somewhere is going out to dinner, playing golf, etc. and the result is trading on these big news items. I hear people say that the model 3 news should have caused the SP to shoot up. Well guess what? It did, a couple weeks ago. Because someone leaked the beans.

Hold on tight!
IMG_1695.GIF

Welcome to June 2. We are all the way down to where we were ... a month ago.
I think we can even fall back to the May price range of ~$300-320. Some were spreading rumors that we could have thousands of M3 in July, and maybe the market was expecting too much. Now it turns out we're getting thousands of M3 in Sep, and the market is dialing back the expectation by 2 months, and we go back to May price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.