Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt read the article yet, but I think what he might be alluding to is that Germany the government is going to allow the auto industry to just fail. I think many of assume that these companies will be allowed to just crumble under their own weight, but as we saw here in the US in 2008, the government can step in and prop them up. To me its not a matter of it there will be competition, its when and what form will it take. I like to use the Android vs IPhone argument. Iphone is monolithic and high margin and has a built in fan base that is extremely loyal. Android is fragmented, some phones are as good as iphones but much lower margins and quality issues like self immolating batteries. I see Tesla continuing to stay up market with their products. I dont see them ever making a no frills budget oriented car, just like Apple will never make a no frills budget oriented phone. Tesla's master plan is to create demand on such a level that other autos must respond and they seem to be doing a pretty good job at the first part of that plan. Tesla believes that they can stay 2 steps ahead of the competition and i agree. Even if the German government does step in to save the German auto industry at some point the amount of time it takes to ramp all this technology gives Tesla an almost insurmountable lead. Its not a factor of how much money you can throw it, as these things take time. Certainly they could build multiple batter factories at the same time or hope for dozens of parts supplier to do the same, but hope is not really a business plan I would want to invest in. Until I see it, and it should be obvious to those of us following, im not buying the notion of 2020 Tesla killers. I see a hundred android phones coming and some will have some nice features, but most will have razor thing margins and will be mundane and fugly like the Bolt, which would be a great car if it cost $20k. In 25 years, I see Tesla with 30%+ of the global car market and 90% of the global car market profits. Ill take that any day and twice on Sunday.

I agree totally with the observation Tesla does not have competition for a few, at least, and maybe as much as five or more years into the future. However, since Germany is ahead on almost all activities in the direction of clean energy, any increase in that investment is not likely to balance out lethargy or losses on the auto side. Thus I believe the German government will, indeed, bail out the industry if needed. The argument will be the same as the U.S. bailout. The economy, suppliers, etc., would take too much of a hit. Hopefully, from their standpoint, it would be combined with conditions that demand the industry move in clean energy directions or at least more so than the US bailout.

WAG based on global macro view. Not discounted for irrationality on my part or theirs.

Reactions: neroden and Lessmog
Looks like they fell asleep at the switch. Busted through and topped 331. :D
Now let's hope they don't wake up anytime soon.
They may have given up and decided to wait to play their games tomorrow instead. Displaying my ignorance as usual, but where are all the billions they are losing so far this year coming from?

While it limits my upside my rule with ST options is if they are nicely up: Sell enough of them to cover your initial cost, plus 10% and let the rest ride.

NOT advice

EDIT: I have learned that my greed usually costs me more than my caution over time.
What's your approach for a ST option that dips way down quickly? For instance, I have a 7/21 $370 call I bought near the top that's worth hardly anything at this point. Seems to me the best approach is probably just sitting with it in case the share price rebounds strongly by 7/21, which it definitely could. However, it might be smart to roll further out in time. Thoughts?

Reactions: neroden
IMG_1828.PNG

TSLA Short Interest

Koch Brothers throwing their money at killing electric cars. I'm 90% sure some of this is their work.

I think we also have to consider parties interested in keeping the Fast and Furious franchise alive. Nobody would watch those movies if the cars were electric, high-performing though they are. No clutch or stick shift, no emergency brake, no NOX boost to throw their heads back in maniacal pleasure. No, it's not the Kochs worried about losing their bread and butter. It's...Vin Diesel :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.