Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need China to step up and apply pressure to North Korea

Enough is enough.

China propping up North Korea with continuous supply of oil

Quote:

China claims it is doing all it can to reign in its neighbour and traditional ally North Korea.

It has backed the toughest United Nations sanctions, but on the North Korea-China border it is a different story.

China is propping up North Korea and its military with a continuous supply of oil, and using cheap North Korean workers in its factories.

China is moving to fortify its 1400-kilometre border with North Korea.

The People’s Liberation Army has set up a new border brigade and has conducted live fire drills in recent months.

China is preparing for all options in the event of conflict breaking out, and military strategists say it will most likely go inside North Korea to establish buffer zones if America attempts regime change.

Zhao Tong from the Carnegie Tsinghua Centre for Global Policy in Beijing said China would not tolerate US troops on its border and wanted to ensure it had a stake in any new order.

“If China believes [it is] very much necessary to send troops inside to best serve its interests, I don’t see why China wouldn’t do so,” he said.

On the border, China has spent millions of dollars on new bridges and free trade zones in the hope of a bigger and deeper partnership with North Korea.

But for now they lie dormant, a testament to the rogue regime’s increasing isolation.

End quote.

Article from August 20. One has to wonder if Kim sees the troop build up as a threat. Is this missile really a message to the US or China?

To make my position very clear, I think we're on the cusp of having Level 3. And for a lot of people who drive only in popular metropoli, it'll feel like level 4. That's still decades from Level 5.

I don't know whether Tesla has a lead. But none of the other *electric car* companies seem to be significantly ahead of Tesla, so the electric car advantage should carry Tesla through.

This is good enough for me to keep both of my reservations. Resale value for Model 3 should be above its price for at least a few months.

Last edited:
I mean that idiot from North Korea could temporarily crash the stock market party but I highly doubt it's anything more than a storm in a tea cup
the sell off may not even last the first hour if that
Gap down open with higher close
been there done that

There's always a risk of "this time is different," but I agree with this. The risk we should watch out for is possible disruptions in Tesla's supply chain.

Given no other information, my strategy is the same as yesterday: Add at excessive dips due to non-fundamental events.

Today I'm a buyer at $325 since I bought some yesterday at just above $340 (got lucky).

Last edited:
There's always a risk of "this time is different," but I agree with this. The risk we should watch out for is possible disruptions in Tesla's supply chain.

Given no other information, my strategy is the same as yesterday: Add at excessive dips due to non-fundamental events.

Today I'm a buyer at $325 since I bought some yesterday at just above $340 (got lucky).
We know that Tesla uses a number of S. Korean suppliers for their cars. Supply disruption could be catastrophic if Tesla is having to compete with other larger OEMs for the attention of non-affected suppliers to replace S. Korean suppliers.
In any event, war with N. Korea would be catastrophic on the market for at least a short period of time at the macro level as many companies rely on S. Korean manufacturers. With the huge amounts of artillery that N. Korea has, it would take an insane amount of cruise missiles and bombs to make sure that they didn't fire off too much, and you can imagine that a lot of it would be aimed at Seoul.

If I were in Japan, I would be quite irate, and even here in the US, safe in the middle of the country, I am irate for them! (It wouldn't be fair to claim that I would be equally irate for other countries, I just happen to like Japan a lot. lol.)

China needs to slap N. Korea upside the head, and if anything goes down, I expect them to try to invade to take over the N. Korea territories instead of letting the U.S. get heavily involved in setting up a democratic government.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
We know that Tesla uses a number of S. Korean suppliers for their cars. Supply disruption could be catastrophic if Tesla is having to compete with other larger OEMs for the attention of non-affected suppliers to replace S. Korean suppliers.
China needs to slap N. Korea upside the head, and if anything goes down, I expect them to try to invade to take over the N. Korea territories instead of letting the U.S. get heavily involved in setting up a democratic government.
I think this is a little naive. With Seoul only a few minutes south of the DMZ any attack on North Korea could and probably would act to decimate Seoul. The carnage would be awful. regardless of Chinese, Russian, South Korean, Japanese and/or US actions we can be assured that bluster towards North Korea is accentuating horrible risks. There will be nothing short term about it. China really is most unlikely to want to take over North Korea, nor is Russia. Almost all US comments focus only on China forgetting/ignoring/never knew that Vladivostok is Russia's Pacific port and is as close to North Korea as is Seoul.

I pretend to have no answers. Thus I'll only state the obvious: calm diplomatic approaches may be less effective than we want but they also are unlikely to foment immediate catastrophic consequences. There are no good answers, but bluster certainly is one of the worst.

From our narrow Tesla perspective the greatest risks are screwing up growth in China, Japan, South Korea and Russia all of which will be directly threatened by direct US intervention in North Korea. Of course we'll have much more serious problems than Tesla if that happens.

I mean that idiot from North Korea could temporarily crash the stock market party but I highly doubt it's anything more than a storm in a tea cup...

There's always a risk of "this time is different," but I agree with this..

Maybe 'this time is different' because we have our own 'idiot'--
[just registering my own risk assessment integration here]

North Korea warns of 'merciless strike' ahead of US, South Korea drills - CNN
"the 10-day Ulchi Freedom Guardian military exercises are conducted annually and touted by South Korea and the United States as defensive in nature." -- Started last Mon 8/21 - so should end 8/30(tomorrow)

the NK missile flew over Hokkaido along path that did not have any US military assets.(i.e. not towards Guam)

so hoping this doesn't get any worse ...

Note: China has mentioned it will not interfere if NK initiates the conflict.
All sort of scenarios the other way around ...

Last edited:
Tesla Model 3 Customer Experience Proves Mixed, Bernstein Finds

Has an old Cramer interview but new comments (written) from Bernstein
What a clickbait headline. The survey was for Model X customers, which of course is technically more complex to manufacture, which of course translates into more problems with initial quality.The Model 3 on the other hand is engineered for simplicity of production to increase automation, which should inherently increase initial product quality. All initial reviews by reporters who have been in the Model 3 have been glowing.

I expect lots of good feelings and SP rise in 2018 as the Model 3 vehicles are hitting the streets, and people see them, increasing mindshare.

Reactions: D-egg-O and EinSV
I'm guessing this pile of trash hitting the news feed bots is probably playing a part today:

Tesla: Price Slashing Underway - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Its the same usual hand wringing about discounting of new inventory, even when they have ~0 mi on the odometer.

We know that Tesla continually improves the new cars. Most of the Canadian new inventory is currently priced worse than comparable custom orders. These 'discounts' Tesla lists are discounting from the car's sticker price at time of manufacture, and in many cases, what the price was when the car was manufactured, and what the price is now for a new custom order today don't jive in a way that would sell the inventory car. As an investor, I'd actually like to see the discounts on inventory cars made BIGGER, because right now cars are languishing on the lots unsold because of unattractive pricing.

Even in the US, there are fewer than 60 cars with discounts > 5k. Its a total non event.

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
I'm guessing this pile of trash hitting the news feed bots is probably playing a part today:

Tesla: Price Slashing Underway - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Its the same usual hand wringing about discounting of new inventory, even when they have ~0 mi on the odometer.

We know that Tesla continually improves the new cars. Most of the Canadian new inventory is currently priced worse than comparable custom orders. These 'discounts' Tesla lists are discounting from the car's sticker price at time of manufacture, and in many cases, what the price was when the car was manufactured, and what the price is now for a new custom order today don't jive in a way that would sell the inventory car. As an investor, I'd actually like to see the discounts on inventory cars made BIGGER, because right now cars are languishing on the lots unsold because of unattractive pricing.

Even in the US, there are fewer than 60 cars with discounts > 5k. Its a total non event.
recently bought an inventory car at a huge discount, with that said, in my hunt i noticed plenty of cars that had completely illogical pricing based on what was available new or even against other inventory cars. I feel this has been an issue for a while.

Reactions: MrRandyB
Status
Not open for further replies.