Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this

VW announces massive $84 billion investment in electric cars and batteries

with some assistance from BMW and Daimler announcements last week, is relevant to market action today.

consider,

"most of the investment 50 billion euros (~$60 billion) will be in battery production in order to support their electric car ambitions for the next decade"

and

"they now promise to spend up to 70 billion euros (~$84 billion USD) in order to bring 300 electric vehicle models to market by 2030"

these announcements make the fallacy of two core bear arguments even more obvious... fallacy 1) consumers aren't choosing EVs (conflating the lack of supply of long range EVs, with the compliance car production of short-range EVs, and tepid interest in them), fallacy 2) Tesla Killers coming in 2018/19 (lols, ICE killers coming 2020-2035).

fwiw, here's a brief post I put on the other thread as to why I think the past week is likely a watershed event... I didn't put the story out of China in the list, but it does belong,

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

Holy bat poo, bat boy. And you wonder why they call me rocket man today:) Makes me proud to be an owner and investor in Tesla. I still wish I could have gotten a deep candy green paint job like the blue, especially for days like today; opening it up on the freeway:) Go GREEN streak!:)

Do you think I could have out run hurricane Harvy and Iram? I think so:) No matter what those storms wanted to deny me, I would have kicked their butt:)

Go green:) Okay, I am happy today, helps temper the depression:)

Boy, thought for awhile I would have to have my long horns trimmed:-( Okay, okay, I'll sit back down:-(

Everyone together now:

d88f09c382bc5c92f10d1366c0d874bf.jpg

I think this

VW announces massive $84 billion investment in electric cars and batteries

with some assistance from BMW and Daimler announcements last week, is relevant to market action today.

consider,

"most of the investment 50 billion euros (~$60 billion) will be in battery production in order to support their electric car ambitions for the next decade"

and

"they now promise to spend up to 70 billion euros (~$84 billion USD) in order to bring 300 electric vehicle models to market by 2030"

these announcements make the fallacy of two core bear arguments even more obvious... fallacy 1) consumers aren't choosing EVs (conflating the lack of supply of long range EVs, with the compliance car production of short-range EVs, and tepid interest in them), fallacy 2) Tesla Killers coming in 2018/19 (lols, ICE killers coming 2020-2035).

fwiw, here's a brief post I put on the other thread as to why I think the past week is likely a watershed event... I didn't put the story out of China in the list, but it does belong,

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

As eisa01 pointed out in the other main thread, there's a BBC article that the Electrek article referenced, and the portion indicating "most of the investment 50 billion euros ($60 billion) will be in battery production in order to support their electric car ambitions for the next decade" which I quoted from Electrek dropped some nuance from what's in the source article.

Here's what was in the BBC article,

"The German firm, whose brands include Seat and Skoda, also said it would place orders worth more than 50bn euros for batteries to power the cars."

This still sounds quite encouraging, but one could mistake the Electrek article's phrasing for indicating that VW was going to invest $60 billion in their own building/equipping battery factories.

link to BBC article Electrek drew from,

VW plans electric option for all models

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.