Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably a good time to mention again that I expect an aggressive increase in bear raids for several months. There's a fairly short window for short-sellers to get out before Q1 financials are reported. I expect aggressive attacks on the stock price to happen more and more and more until then, as short-sellers try to exit at local lows. I'm not sure how long they'll keep it up -- they might give up as early as Q4 deliveries -- but I think Q1 financials will be the death knell for this very high short interest.

Positive note for a change from Adam Jonas, Morgan Stanley. No change in price target ($317) or weight (equal weight, cautious industry view) but an outlook of exponential growth far out into the future, which may change the minds of some investors.

Prepare for a Big Jump in Teslas on the Road

With the launch of the Model 3, we forecast the Tesla car population to multiply 3x by the end of 2019. We believe that this ‘car parc’ growth carries some investment significance.

We estimate the global on-road population of Tesla vehicles will reach nearly 300k units by the end of 2017 and, by the end of 2018, rise 80% to 531k units. By early 2023, we forecast Tesla’s car population to have multiplied 10x compared to year-end 2017. Looking a bit further out to 2040, we forecast the total number of Tesla vehicles in use (including Tesla Mobility and Tesla Consumer and net of scrappage) to be nearly 32 million units, or 107x higher than the 2017 level. It has been generations since the investment community witnessed such a high growth rate in the population of a single auto firm.

So if I am doing the math right, Jonas is expecting 531K-300K=231K net new Teslas on the road for all of 2018? Even assuming some scrappage of existing cars this is ridiculously low.

I would say that we might have some chance of a green day tomorrow. At least according to the stats below

DKLupokUQAAFN-4.jpg:large

About as accurate as can be. Looks like you'll get that green today. Maybe even a 3-day streak through end of month/quarter for the typical window dressing.

So if I am doing the math right, Jonas is expecting 531K-300K=231K net new Teslas on the road for all of 2018? Even assuming some scrappage of existing cars this is ridiculously low.

that is over 100% CAGR for car sales 2017->2018. Most businesses do not see this kind of growth. Revenue-wise, this will not be 100% CAGR due to the lower prices of Model 3 vs. the S/X. The hedge is if the assembly of Model 3 is not as "fast" per day as bandied about in the past claims it will be. Some have identified limited throughput of paint shop per day, etc (appx. 250k per year).

that is over 100% CAGR for car sales 2017->2018. Most businesses do not see this kind of growth. Revenue-wise, this will not be 100% CAGR due to the lower prices of Model 3 vs. the S/X. The hedge is if the assembly of Model 3 is not as "fast" per day as bandied about in the past claims it will be. Some have identified limited throughput of paint shop per day, etc (appx. 250k per year).

You have to be pretty darn bearish to get to the 250Kish number for 2018 that Jonas seems to be modeling. I agree that even the bear case is pretty remarkable growth.

I don't agree with the rest of your post but happy to agree to disagree.:)

I continue to consider the fact that Jonas -- one of the so-called Tesla bulls -- is so bearish compared to Tesla's plans to be a useful indicator of how much upside there is if Tesla gets anywhere near its targets.

This is probably a good time to mention again that I expect an aggressive increase in bear raids for several months. There's a fairly short window for short-sellers to get out before Q1 financials are reported. I expect aggressive attacks on the stock price to happen more and more and more until then, as short-sellers try to exit at local lows. I'm not sure how long they'll keep it up -- they might give up as early as Q4 deliveries -- but I think Q1 financials will be the death knell for this very high short interest.

Let them try.

Here's the rest of the note by Adam Jonas (Morgan Stanley),

We believe investors should get ready for a mix of opportunities and risks related to this nonlinear parc growth:

1. Hope you like the way the Model 3 looks, because you’re just going to see a lot more of them. You’ll probably see this car every day throughout the day within a couple of years, particularly if you live on the West Coast of the United States, many areas of the East Coast of the United States, or in key Northern European markets. However, as vehicle scarcity changes in such a short period of time, will the car be as cool anymore? We can’t possibly say. It’s a matter of opinion, and it depends on whom you ask. We can only ask the question.

2. Potential acceleration of addressable market through word-of-mouth advertising. Tesla experienced a similar phenomenon with the Model S. If your neighbor gets a Model 3, you may want to drive it. Assuming your neighbor lets you drive it, you may decide want one. In that case, you won’t need to visit a Tesla store. With a 3 to 5x multiplication of the car population, the Tesla store will effectively come to you.

3. Tesla’s investment incharging and service infrastructure will be put to the test. Compared to other OEMs, Tesla has made the biggest proprietary investment in superchargers and destination chargers globally. In most communities, we believe this infrastructure is larger than it needs to be in preparation for the expansion of the serviceable and charge-thirsty fleet. Other OEMs will closely watch how consumers react to this infrastructure

4. Miles traveled accumulation rises with the car population, helping Tesla to train its machine learning network faster than competitors. We estimate that Tesla's cars travel a bit more than 7 million miles per day, a figure we forecast to reach 100 million miles by the 2023 or 2024 time frame, a level on par with what we estimate Uber's fleet is executing on a daily basis today. In our view, firms that can capture sufficient quantity and quality of miles data will be in a strong position to develop competitive autonomous transport networks.

5. Tesla will also be exposed to things that can potentially go wrong.Risks with quality and safety are a fact of life in the auto industry. To date, Tesla has mostly benefitted from pushing the envelope of technology in such a high-profile consumer market. Tesla's ability to safely deliver high-quality products will impact the company's brand, access to new customers and access to capital.

production hell implies setbacks , shorts will prey on that to discredit tesla
The Model x ramp was a debacle for the stock , that's the playbook the shorts
Want to repeat.

Elon is super confident they will overcome manufacturing complexity
Though it might take more like three months beyond December
Until we are assured .

In the interm volatility reigns. This might be the optimum period to sell
Option premium

Reactions: SteveG3
You have to be pretty darn bearish to get to the 250Kish number for 2018 that Jonas seems to be modeling. I agree that even the bear case is pretty remarkable growth.

I don't agree with the rest of your post but happy to agree to disagree.:)

I continue to consider the fact that Jonas -- one of the so-called Tesla bulls -- is so bearish compared to Tesla's plans to be a useful indicator of how much upside there is if Tesla gets anywhere near its targets.

What is critical is the "turn" - turning from cars nearly $100K ASP to something less - perhaps factoring in Model 3 at $44k, the ASP overall drives down to say $68k. This number even at double the unit-sales rate is not condusive to profitability. Overall, the growth story is good but the drive to profits is not yet visible to analysts like Jonas and others - we have seen many analysts lowering forcasts for profit numbers every quarter for the next three out-years. It's hard to make profit on something that constantly has a downward price pressure in economic terms. Perhaps that is Tesla's secret. Going back to the Roadster, the statement was "Model S will pay for Model X which will pay for Model 3" and yet all along, no action was made to cut costs enough to ever do it. I still think, down deep, that the board room is well knowing that a profitable year may never be possible and they know that the story drives progress forward.

What is critical is the "turn" - turning from cars nearly $100K ASP to something less - perhaps factoring in Model 3 at $44k, the ASP overall drives down to say $68k. This number even at double the unit-sales rate is not condusive to profitability. Overall, the growth story is good but the drive to profits is not yet visible to analysts like Jonas and others - we have seen many analysts lowering forcasts for profit numbers every quarter for the next three out-years. It's hard to make profit on something that constantly has a downward price pressure in economic terms. Perhaps that is Tesla's secret. Going back to the Roadster, the statement was "Model S will pay for Model X which will pay for Model 3" and yet all along, no action was made to cut costs enough to ever do it. I still think, down deep, that the board room is well knowing that a profitable year may never be possible and they know that the story drives progress forward.

Elon and Deepak seemed very confident of 25% GMs for the Model 3 a few months after Tesla reaches a 5K per week production rate.

But yeah I agree that many analysts are not including that in their models yet. I view that as a good thing since it is an indication of upside potential since the market is not pricing it in.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.