Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He Who Sells What Isn't His'n
Must Buy Back or Go to Pris'n

Leaving outside this discussion all forms of options investors, in my experience it is only the rash, overly-bold* short-seller who thinks he can refrain from capitulating when ATH's force margin calls...and doubles down.

He can cover by anteing up more cash - either with fresh funds or by flushing other babies down the drain. But truly the only course of action available to him is to

Be A Shipmate Good & True
Grab that Life Vest Before It's Grabbed From You

and cover at $X before having to cover at $X+Y.

*Amongst Alaskan bush pilots, there are
  • Old pilots, and there are
  • Bold pilots
But there are no old, bold pilots. Same in Shortsville.

Well, that's an interesting question. I'm looking into the mechanics of margin calls. If -- and this is a big if, because I really don't know what I'm talking about here -- there are a lot of margin calls which will be issued *overnight* against short-sellers, then we're going to have a huge bump tomorrow morning as many of the shorts who were margin-called get out.

OK, here's a start:
Understanding Margin Accounts, Why Brokers Do What They Do | FINRA.org

I'm thinking this is analog of situation I described last night, FB breakaway in July 2013. I expect similar mechanics
FB 30.JPG
FB today.JPG

Already trading up in after-hours. Gee-zus. Bid's back up to 298.90.... (and now it's back down. I think someone didn't get as many shares as they wanted during the regular session because that was a bid with large volume.)

OK, the first 5 minutes of extended hours were very busy. It seems to have calmed down now to the usual not-much-trading, with a steady ask price of 298.90 (and slowly dropping) and bids consistently above 298.52.

Next market action will be from Frankfurt at 3 AM EDT... (or is it 2AM? I'm confused by the time zones and opening times)

Last edited:
I wish I knew what a squeeze looks like. Could it be...

Well, a squeeze takes weeks to unroll so... what we saw could well be the beginning of one. You have to have a spark.

• For the last 3 years we filled the powder keg
  • Last sept we lit the fuse but there was some SCTY condensation all over everything and the fuse went out
  • Now, the keg is fuller, and the fuse bone dry and caught on sparkly fire.
  • The next week should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.