Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm options only... my opinion is that Tesla will not significantly roll out faster than competition over the next 18 months,
Myusername -- Then you have not actually been following the competition. You also haven't properly valued Tesla even if the other "competitors" do roll out cars quickly: the minimum valuation is $180. I worked that out back in 2013 when it looked like the "competitors" were going to move significantly faster than they actually did (and it looked like Tesla would be slower).

I personally think more than the Model 3 helping it is the decline in QoQ S&X deliveries that is hurting us. This is the first true indication of the demand ceiling on the S&X (cap at 22-25k/quarter).
Since this is also the production ceiling (Musk has stated the lines max out around 100 k / year) I'm not sure it really tells us the demand ceiling. They're calibrating the price so that the demand equals the production. If they had a way of easily expanding production, they'd probably trim the price and demand would go up.

Reactions: KLC13
Can bears still look at this photo and say the Gigafactory is a huge, useless money pit?
image-2017-07-06-at-5-36-am1.jpg

Cherrypicked quote that Lebeau probably fished for from an IIHS (non governmental) vs NHTSA (government) guy. Personally, I'd probably drive with a five point harness on the highway if it came standard, but most people wouldn't do this. Also, how an Avalon (or any combustion engine car with an engine block that can penetrate the cabin in a collision) could possibly be considered overall safer than a Tesla Model S based this one test is beyond me. This portion seems relevant:
FWIW, since the one issue in the test was behavior of the driver-side seatbelt, this is almost certainly fixable in design. Expect it to be fixed in an upcoming year.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
How appropriate, but... it's bulls feeling the pain!!!

The Model 3 is NOT BEING RELEASED on Friday. We do not even know for sure they will finish off SN#1 on Friday. They might have encountered a snag already. We don't even know if SN#1 is going to be a customer car, they might be keeping one or more of the first production numbers around for testing. We need to stop overbuilding our expectations... like when the Model 3 Owners' Club people published a prediction of thousands of cars being in the launch event.
If big brand auto maker announces an Ev for the mass-market to start in the next three to four years the market loses its mind. In one day Tesla release its first production model 3 for the mass Market and is two weeks ahead of schedule in a product that is all about volume. Someone really wants in at a lower price point. Just sayin'

Can bears still look at this photo and say the Gigafactory is a huge, useless money pit?
image-2017-07-06-at-5-36-am1.jpg
FWIW, one of the bears already claimed that the Gigafactory was an empty shell and all the cars in the lot were unsold inventory Model S. :rolleyes:

They will say anything to convince themselves.

Looking back at the July 3rd report:

"The major factor affecting Tesla’s Q2 deliveries was a severe production shortfall of 100 kWh battery packs, which are made using new technologies on new production lines. The technology challenge grows exponentially with energy density. Until early June, production averaged about 40% below demand. Once this was resolved, June orders and deliveries were strong, ranking as one of the best in Tesla history."

If production averaged about 40% below demand until early June, then where did the remaining batteries go if not to the cars?

Well, there's battery storage. I think that the batteries produced were shifted toward Powerpack systems (i.e. Utility scale production for Australia etc), and I am expecting news soon. It's getting close to 100 days (not sure when the start day was...), yeah?

Why the speculation that cells are being directed away from the cars? It is clear that it is pack assembly issues, not cell allocation.

Oh, hello February 2016.

This is actually way flash crashier than Feb '16. Here is now:

july_6_2017.JPG

Here is Feb 2016:
Feb_2016.JPG

In Feb we had a sharp "V" shaped recovery. It was too much too fast, and we had the M3 reveal event at the end of March to look forward to. This time the drop is faster and even more nonsensical. We also have a parallel situation with the M3 handover at the end of the month (delivering ~30 cars at the end of July).

I am looking at this as a gift. Cautiously increasing leverage here. It might go down further but thats ok, I will either hold or leverage harder. I am moving cash and shares to J19's. I don't have confidence that the recovery will be steep so I am not betting the farm on the short term.

My losses in Feb '16 were eye watering. But I made a mint in March '16. That was my best trade ever.

300 dollars : October 15 - December 15 (2017)
400 dollars : February 15 - May 15 (2018)
500 dollars : May 15 - September 15 (2018)
700 dollars : February 15 - May 15 (2019)
1000 dollars : October 15 (2019) - April 15 (2020).

_________

That's my bet, will see how it will play out.
-------
Note that's a pure thinking bet, and that even if I had more money to invest I wouldn't, at that point, act on those.

Well maybe those will be good projections?

This was before the April rally started thus the 300 dollars this far because the path to it seemed hard.

Why the speculation that cells are being directed away from the cars? It is clear that it is pack assembly issues, not cell allocation.

This is actually way flash crashier than Feb '16. Here is now:

View attachment 234349

Here is Feb 2016: View attachment 234350

In Feb we had a sharp "V" shaped recovery. It was too much too fast, and we had the M3 reveal event at the end of March to look forward to. This time the drop is faster and even more nonsensical. We also have a parallel situation with the M3 handover at the end of the month (delivering ~30 cars at the end of July).

I am looking at this as a gift. Cautiously increasing leverage here. It might go down further but thats ok, I will either hold or leverage harder. I am moving cash and shares to J19's. I don't have confidence that the recovery will be steep so I am not betting the farm on the short term.

My losses in Feb '16 were eye watering. But I made a mint in March '16. That was my best trade ever.
What's the opposite of a short squeeze, a bull stampede?

Status
Not open for further replies.