Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's obviously Phrenology. Isn't that how all the rest of you also pick your stocks based on the lumps in your head? All those other things are fake pseudoscience.
612_04_hires2.jpg

Dr. Krieger picks his CEOs, and thus his stock picks that way.

@mulder1231, do you know whether Jonas attributes any value to Tesla Semi in this valuation?
Tesla's Autonomous Tractor Trailer Will Be the Biggest Thing to Happen in Trucks

"We believe Tesla's truck reveal in September will be one of the biggest catalysts the trucking industry has seen in decades. We also expect Tesla will announce carrier/shipper partners," Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas wrote in a note on Monday.

Jonas added, "If Tesla opens up its order books and picks up a large number of orders in a short time-frame (we note that relatively unheralded Nikola Motor picked up 8,000 orders in just 6 months), it could set off an arms race among both carriers and incumbent OEMs to get electric, autonomous trucks to market."

Tesla Inc. is developing a long-haul, electric semi-truck with autonomous driving capabilities that move in "platoons" and automatically follow the direction of a lead vehicle, Reuters reported recently.

The electric carmaker is said to be nearing the completion of a prototype of the trucks, according to an email obtained by Reuters between Tesla and the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles.

Edit Addition:
How can incumbent OEM's possible compete with Tesla on semi's? Maybe if they purchase the batteries from Tesla. It sounds like Jonas is on drugs.

Last edited:
Blind Faith Price Targets

Twelve-month median BFPT is $435 to $484.

$350 is a great price to accumulate, too soon to pay over $400.

Keep the Faith!

@jhm - What is the annual dilution assumed in this twelve-month median BFPT range?

Edit: I see now that you used a range of 4% to 8% annual dilution.

FWIW - I estimate 1-3% per year as employee/CEO stock options vest, partially offset by minimal buybacks starting in 2019.

Weekly Pulse Check: Are y'all still doubting my short squeeze call?

LIKE = Bring it on!

FUNNY = You are nuts!

DISLIKE = I want my mommy! (reserved for FUDsters)

Dividend poll has been postponed until further notice.

RESULTS ARE IN!

The ~15 people who voted are dead even in their rating of my expectation of a short squeeze in the coming months.

This represents a deterioration from a 2:1 split between Likes and Funny/Disagree votes on August 8.

I find this very interesting, because since August 8, the stock price has not retracted from a substantial rise following the latest earnings release, and the recent very positive bond issuance has, in my opinion, greatly increased the company's intrinsic value, which should increase the chances of a short squeeze: no more equity secondaries = limited number of available shares that shorts can use to cover their positions.

I should also note that T. Rowe Price, Fidelity, and Morgan Stanley, which sold a combined 10.5 million shares in 2Q17, do not seem to agree with me on my short squeeze expectation.

Tesla's Autonomous Tractor Trailer Will Be the Biggest Thing to Happen in Trucks

"We believe Tesla's truck reveal in September will be one of the biggest catalysts the trucking industry has seen in decades. We also expect Tesla will announce carrier/shipper partners," Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas wrote in a note on Monday.

Jonas added, "If Tesla opens up its order books and picks up a large number of orders in a short time-frame (we note that relatively unheralded Nikola Motor picked up 8,000 orders in just 6 months), it could set off an arms race among both carriers and incumbent OEMs to get electric, autonomous trucks to market."

Tesla Inc. is developing a long-haul, electric semi-truck with autonomous driving capabilities that move in "platoons" and automatically follow the direction of a lead vehicle, Reuters reported recently.

The electric carmaker is said to be nearing the completion of a prototype of the trucks, according to an email obtained by Reuters between Tesla and the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles.

Edit Addition:
How can incumbent OEM's possible compete with Tesla on semi's? Maybe if they purchase the batteries from Tesla. It sounds like Jonas is on drugs.

The profit is not in the batteries, its in the charging. Tesla would sell the batteries, but no one else will make an actual semi that works, so its a non starter. Tesla wants viable products in the market place, that is why they are making them. They still hope others will follow, keyword being follow.

@jhm - What is the annual dilution assumed in this twelve-month median BFPT range?

Edit: I see now that you used a range of 4% to 8% annual dilution.

FWIW - I estimate 1-3% per year as employee/CEO stock options vest, partially offset by minimal buybacks starting in 2019.
Buybacks and dividends aren't things that are likely to happen.

Musk has been explicit about this at least in the dividend front. A few people have tried to tell you, but I don't have the interview videos handy. Dividends won't happen with Musk at the helm. Buybacks are extremely unlikely as well. Buybacks are a mechanism of stock price manipulation and don't have any positive effect on the actual company or mission, as such they will continue to be ignored (as they should be)

Status
Not open for further replies.