Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't enough volume today for push the SP over 365.. Seems like the day traders are having fun making profits from bouncing between 364 and 363. I wish some big shot could just swoop in and execute a huge order to kill off this endless market manipulation.
That would be nuts: that's less than a 0.3% move within which to try to get timing correct.

Of course, that description represents much of my opinion of any kind of day trading.

I know some don't like TA here but I think some may find this interesting:

Option_Sniper‏ @option_snipper
why it consolidates around 363.6? coz that's where it closed on Aug 9 when it reached highest point post-er. IF close> 363.6, b/o tmr.
TA is vulnerable to news. Option_Sniper read end of July close at below $344 as sign of going down to $287
Option_Sniper on Twitter
But Q2ER came out and $287 was no where to be found (he said as much that it depends on ER).

There is just too many news that can wag TSLA now. It's nice to know a breakout is potentially possible, hope no news come out to break that trend.

That would be nuts: that's less than a 0.3% move within which to try to get timing correct.

Of course, that description represents much of my opinion of any kind of day trading.
Well..if the pattern is consistent and you have a huge cash reserve, anything else is history. Not to say day traders don't have better options out there, it just felt like the SP was being manipulated since it was bouncing up and down between 363-364 range.

TA is vulnerable to news. Option_Sniper read end of July close at below $344 as sign of going down to $287
Option_Sniper on Twitter
But Q2ER came out and $287 was no where to be found (he said as much that it depends on ER).

There is just too many news that can wag TSLA now. It's nice to know a breakout is potentially possible, hope no news come out to break that trend.
Yes, this is purely based upon the chart and he did predict I think a 70% chance that the stock would drop to $280s. In fairness, this was true of other chartists as well, such as @jesselivenomore. ER/news intervened, reversing the downtrend. I take this to mean that bad news/strong manipulation would be necessary to disrupt what the market action is suggesting for tomorrow. If you see the stock drop late and close below $363.6, it suggests that others are aware of the importance of this level in determining the action tomorrow.

I've yet to see anyone approach TA with proper scientific methodology rather than a bucketful of biases they seem unaware of.
Pshah! It's every bit as scientifically based as astrology. You don't seem to realize the amount and level of math involved, as in calculating planets' and stars' apparent moves. My Grandma used to draw up horoscopes using lamp shade frames. That tells me something! So there.

Pshah! It's every bit as scientifically based as astrology. You don't seem to realize the amount and level of math involved, as in calculating planets' and stars' apparent moves. My Grandma used to draw up horoscopes using lamp shade frames. That tells me something! So there.

However, there is a significant difference between TA and astrology: if enough active traders believe in a TA thesis, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. E.g. if they expect the stock to rise based on their voodoo, and enough of them starts buying to take advantage of it, then the SP will indeed rise (due to the extra buying pressure).

Reactions: Lessmog
However, there is a significant difference between TA and astrology: if enough active traders believe in a TA thesis, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. E.g. if they expect the stock to rise based on their voodoo, and enough of them starts buying to take advantage of it, then the SP will indeed rise (due to the extra buying pressure).

This could theoretically happen with astrology as well : )

Even that's not necessarily true because if everyone agrees a stock is going to go up 10% over the next 2 hours, the guy that figures out that's what is going to happen buys before everyone else to get more of the upswing and it goes up earlier than 2 hours, thus making the original prediction incorrect, but then how can the original prediction be incorrect if the guy that broke that prediction did so only by behaving as if it was gonna be correct. And so on.. it's Goedel all over again.

Reactions: StapleGun
The chatter is pretty low around here. There must be an astrological reason for this, or at least bio-rhythms. In any case, me Lucky Charms says that it a good sign for break through tomorrow.
It's obviously Phrenology. Isn't that how all the rest of you also pick your stocks based on the lumps in your head? All those other things are fake pseudoscience.

As I've posted in the Technical Analysis thread:

Piper Jaffray technical analyst Craig Johnson was an occasional guest on my TV show. He still emails me his weekly newsletter. On Monday 2013 JAN 28 he included TSLA among a short list of stocks looking positive technically with no other details. I had not heard of the company or its cars. Throughout that week I researched Tesla and Elon. During each of the remaining four days that week I bought shares at an average of less than $38 each.

Since then Craig never once mentioned TSLA – until today. Again he has TSLA on a short list of stocks looking positive technically with no other details.

Sorry I didn’t mention this this morning, but I’ve been busy and just now started reading Craig's newsletter.

Excuse me, but if enough people believe that Mercury is in retrograde....yeah, you do the math! :D

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog and jhm
Status
Not open for further replies.