Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you buy in pre-market?

You have to fill application for extended hours trading with your broker. Once approved (ususally just a quick formality), you can designate your trade as "Extended Hours" for it to be entered in pre-market or after hours.

Please be carefull with trading during extended hours. I do it extremely rarely. It just seems as an exceptional opportunity today.

Thanks to @Lump for sending me this link.

Continuing to look like China may NOT require JVs for foreign EV car manufacturers.

Business: Washington Post Business Page, Business News

Edit: @Navin beat me to it ;)

This plus the Climate Change consortium=the dam is breaking. Maybe TT007 is right. (I know he thinks he is.:)) Meanwhile, Mother Nature is chewing up the Caribbean. Climate change deniers are walking the plank, so to speak, who will be the first to fall?

• Love
Reactions: everman and neroden
Tesla yanking Model 3 from NACOTY consideration is... interesting. I can't decide what to make of it, but I sort of agree with InsideEVs. The only logical reason that Tesla couldn't spare one car for jury consideration is that they don't want the car in the hands of journalists for an in-depth examination yet.

Or they don't want to win until next year when the line is shorter.

Tesla yanking Model 3 from NACOTY consideration is... interesting. I can't decide what to make of it, but I sort of agree with InsideEVs. The only logical reason that Tesla couldn't spare one car for jury consideration is that they don't want the car in the hands of journalists for an in-depth examination yet.

Anti sell the M3, there's a year backlog already. We don't need that type of attention just yet.

Or they don't want to win until next year when the line is shorter.
Agreed, that thought just occurred to me too. Winning it now would serve to do nothing but increase the waiting list. Tesla is trying to anti-sell it. Winning it next year can help maintain demand after the reservation queue is chipped away at.

Also, isn't there like no other car to compete against? It's basically a guaranteed win for them.

umm... shouldn't they listen to both?... do you think Elon is your friend?... he's the CEO of a publicly traded company. his #1 objective by law is to make the share price go up... are you suggesting that investors should only listen to him?
Shouldn't investors listen to whoever made them the most money so far?

umm... shouldn't they listen to both?... do you think Elon is your friend?... he's the CEO of a publicly traded company. his #1 objective by law is to make the share price go up... are you suggesting that investors should only listen to him?
Are you long or short? It's quite obvious that you are a short, but last time you mentioned that you are long, I am not so sure anymore.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Are you long or short? It's quite obvious that you are a short, but last time you mentioned that you are long, I am not so sure anymore.

I don't think he has any position tbh. He's just talking.

But that's only speculation ...maybe he's a long that wants the price to go down to buy at a bargain. Would make sense, but I'm not sure the ROI is worthy on this forum ....

I don't think anyone is really listening to Jefferies, it's just an opportunity to take some profits after a big run-up. I would expect dip buying after the selling loses steam.

Either that or TSLA would show what I thought : that it loses points way more easily than gains them, and while it took almost a week to go from 360's to 380's. It will only take 2 days to go back to 360's ......

Will these be less than the margin loan rates at say IB?
Oh, yes, the key point of a pledged asset line is that the rates are a lot lower than the margin loan rates (unless you have a SUPER HUGE margin loan). The only downside is...

If you have investment income, you can offset that against margin interest, effectively getting the tax benefit. No?
...indeed, margin interest is *sometimes* tax-deductible and pledged asset line interest is never deductible (in the US).

I looked up the tax rules for margin interest in the US -- you actually have to prove that you used the margin loan to generate investment income. Seemed like the IRS might question a deduction if you were doing something like taking money out to spend it. Also the deduction rules for investment interest have an awful lot of paperwork and you end up not getting the full amount deducted (thank you, itemized deduction limitations, etc.). Even with the tax deduction, I found the margin loan rates were substantially more expensive for me. But your personal tax situation may vary.

Now, the one restriction on a pledged asset line is that you can't use the loan to buy stock. So it's strictly for "I was thinking about borrowing money to do something totally different than buying stock".

Status
Not open for further replies.